Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Most bizarre encounter on commute this morning

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Most bizarre encounter on commute this morning

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-12, 12:19 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
NOS88:
Wondering what "was really going on" sure seems to me to lead almost inevitably to a discussion of police procedure and civil liberties. Just sayin...
Old 04-27-12, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
NOS88:
Wondering what "was really going on" sure seems to me to lead almost inevitably to a discussion of police procedure and civil liberties. Just sayin...
I've worked in federal correctional facilities and done physical restraint training for different police departments. I have some insight into the procedures and methods law enforcement uses. What took place this morning makes we wonder. I'm just curious about why he stopped me. Were they looking for something/someone for which I matched the profile? Was he just curious about bike commuting; was he bored? I mean there are probably hundreds of reasons. But, given they no longer require bicycle permits; I know his stated reason was not it. No matter. I'll try to keep my curiosity to myself in the future.
Old 04-27-12, 01:18 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Sometimes the police do weird things.

On my St. Patrick's Populaire I had the crap scared out of me when a police car pulled up to me as I was riding along. The trooper pulled down his window and said, "Please be careful on this road in that vehicle of yours (my recumbent)".

I was very annoyed, as the only time I was frightened the entire trip was with this incident, but I presumed he meant well and let it drop, even though I thought it was a dumb thing to do.

He did not ask for my ID, which, by the way, was on me.

Old 04-27-12, 04:09 PM
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Altamont
really? why don't you get a job where you have to work all night, go out in conditions where everyone else gets to stay home in front of the fire, get assaulted, not make enough money, not be appreciated by many people even after they have become crime victims, and when your family never knows what day you might not survive the shift.
Still have to have probable cause normally to stop someone. Being a cop does not put you above the law.
Old 04-27-12, 04:37 PM

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tybee128
I saw a guy playing bagpipes on a MUP
That's the norm in my world.
Old 04-27-12, 06:44 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The SRT and the run up to Valley Forge are what I missed most when I moved away from Philly (didn't miss the neighborhood murders). There were a few trail parts that to me were a bit iffy at certain times.

Fortunately for me, I never looked as if I lived anywhere along the trail to either the locals or the constabulary. Yours was a weird encounter, but at least it remained civil.
Old 04-27-12, 07:46 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOS88
I've worked in federal correctional facilities and done physical restraint training for different police departments. I have some insight into the procedures and methods law enforcement uses. What took place this morning makes we wonder. I'm just curious about why he stopped me. Were they looking for something/someone for which I matched the profile? Was he just curious about bike commuting; was he bored? I mean there are probably hundreds of reasons. But, given they no longer require bicycle permits; I know his stated reason was not it. No matter. I'll try to keep my curiosity to myself in the future.
No offense meant... I wasn't suggesting that at all. It's an interesting event. My guess is that something was up that they did not tell you about when you were stopped.
Old 04-27-12, 07:47 PM

Bikes: 1983 Trek 620, 2010 Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Altamont
not make enough money
Obviously you aren't from California, where Public Safety folks are very, very highly paid, have retirement plans that are grotesquely rich, and rules that allow 99.9% of them to leave on "disability" retirement by age 40.

Ask any bike shop who buys the big-bucks bikes -- they'll all tell you retired government employees.

My $0.02
Old 04-27-12, 08:23 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
The last thing I wanted to do when I started this thread was to have a debate about civil liberties, law and order, civic duties, citizen rights, harassment, etc. I was simply making an observation about a very strange encounter this morning. There was nothing negative or derogatory in my original post about the event. So, I’d greatly appreciate it if the negative or accusatory tone would be left out of responses. No toes are being stepped on nor does anyone’s honor need to be defended. Where I live there is an extraordinary amount of diversity with three or four languages that can be commonly heard; a rainbow of colors, shapes and sizes; and about every religious belief you can image. So, when someone says, “You look like you live here” it strikes me as very odd. Oh, and what's even more curious is that after a bit of checking this morning, I find that the municipality in which this took place no longer requires a bike license/permit. So, I am really left wondering what was really going on. You know what they say, inquiring minds want to know.
They were looking for someone. Does not seem strange to me. They were looking for a local, that's probably why the strange question. It might make you obviously nervous, or trip you up if you were lying to them about where you live.
It also does help them to know who people are. One never knows what will happen, and with who. It is part of being prepared. It's very sensible.
Old 04-27-12, 10:20 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You don't find it odd that someone would say "You look like you live here."? I mean how do you make that kind of determination? Keep in mind I'm not holding that there was anything subversive or that harassment was taking place. It was just a very strange encounter on a route to work that I've used thousands of times.
I LIKE it when I get asked questions like that, and get comments like that; my answer would have been, IMMEDIATELY: "I KNEW I shouldn't have gotten this haircut!"

It's why it happens so rarely; I look forward to F'n with those who F with me.
Old 04-27-12, 11:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tybee128
I saw a guy playing bagpipes on a MUP , Just standing there, and no , I wasn't smoking anything , At the time
Saw a guy sitting in the wash under a bridge playing a tuba this morning! First thought was ; better than next door to me! Although I think bagpipes might be worse....
Old 04-28-12, 06:03 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
One of my neighbors 4 doors down from me could be heard, quite readily, from my house . I would have thought my dogs would have barked, but they just listened quietly . He took to using a practice chanter , then moved to the countryside, I believe . I never saw the bagpipes as objectionable , myself .
Old 04-28-12, 08:46 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
reminds me of a work task. we have annual contracts with session dates. everyone renews and most of them sign off on their dates but they do it so far in advance they forget their date. some are good though and mark it on their calendar. I have to email everyone with a friendly reminder what their date is but I can make subjective decisions as to who doesn't need a reminder. I don't always make the right decision. meaning some people feel like I'm overly cautious by checking in with them. however not confirming a date could lead to a big problem on their date if we show up and they aren't expecting us. I'd rather not have to checking with everyone, and I actually don't have to, but I'd hate to miss anyone that should have been checked.

also I guess I'm a suspicious looking person cuz sometimes I get followed at big box stores by undercover security like I'm a thief or something.

cops gotta do what they gotta do. they do the best they can, it's a tough job. just being a cop doesn't mean they aren't a-holes, or inadequate. they're a necessity.

yes sir, no sir, thank you sir, have a good day sir. that's my motto
Old 04-28-12, 08:56 AM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The last thing I wanted to do when I started this thread was to have a debate about civil liberties, law and order, civic duties, citizen rights, harassment, etc. I was simply making an observation about a very strange encounter this morning. There was nothing negative or derogatory in my original post about the event. So, I’d greatly appreciate it if the negative or accusatory tone would be left out of responses. No toes are being stepped on nor does anyone’s honor need to be defended. Where I live there is an extraordinary amount of diversity with three or four languages that can be commonly heard; a rainbow of colors, shapes and sizes; and about every religious belief you can image. So, when someone says, “You look like you live here” it strikes me as very odd. Oh, and what's even more curious is that after a bit of checking this morning, I find that the municipality in which this took place no longer requires a bike license/permit. So, I am really left wondering what was really going on. You know what they say, inquiring minds want to know.

If you are going to post a "bizarre" or controversial event expect reactions and widely divergent reactions from what you would expect!

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, perspectives and perceptions, even derogatory, accusatory or negative ones.

That is what makes an interesting, animated forum.
Old 04-28-12, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
If you are going to post a "bizarre" or controversial event expect reactions and widely divergent reactions from what you would expect!

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, perspectives and perceptions, even derogatory, accusatory or negative ones.

That is what makes an interesting, animated forum.
Thanks for giving me a clue.
Old 04-28-12, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I never carry ID when I ride and would indeed be offended were I randomly stopped and asked for it. I appreciate that police have a difficult job but that does not excuse infringing on the liberty of a free citizenry. It is perhaps only a minor inconvenience and we might assume it is being done with good intentions, but nonetheless when we cede to the State the right and power to have armed agents stop us at any time and interrogate us regarding our identity and activity we have lost the very essence of freedom.

In such case I would, of course, keep my feelings to myself and respond politely to any inquiries. In part because I am by nature a polite person, but in part as well because I know that if one espouses an unpopular socio-political viewpoint to police, one has a well founded fear that some form of retribution may follow. We all know this to be true. We learn it from an early age. That alone should give us pause to consider our relationship with these representatives of the government in our free society.
Old 04-28-12, 11:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NOS88,

I read this thread yesterday before checking the Pennsylvania Unified Judicial System web site where PA court rulings are posted as they are handed down. A god one went up on the 26th out of the Middle District of the Supreme Court Of Pennsylvania. Involved suppression of evidence. Commonwealth of PA v. John D. Au.
An lengthy discussion of what is a "mere encounter" versus investigative detention.

In PA a police officer does not need reasonable suspicion to stop a citizen and request identification. They can do so on a mere whim if they want to.

"We have stated that even when officers have no basis for suspecting a particular individual, they may generally ask questions of that individual [and] ask to examine the individual's identification[.]" United States V. Hicks

In the past. Around here. If a police officer stopped me and asked me for ID I would show it. I would then ask the officer if I was free to leave. That lights them up. If they say that you may not leave it becomes an investigative detention without cause.

I have watched our local police operate in dealing with people they do not know on the street. Most will try to push you on the question and answer thing. But if you give them any idea that you know the "Terry Stop" rules they back off in a hurry.
There was an incident in this block several weeks ago where a police squad of 4 officers stopped and asked a neighbor for ID as he was entering his home early one morning. He had come home sick at 1:15 am. The cop gave him a very bad time and humiliated him for no reason. There were several witnesses to the incident. We banded together and complained to the police chief. The 4 cops were fed to internal affairs. Other officers commented to me that it was a sad incident. This is one of the few blocks in the city where they know they are welcome and that their backs are covered if here on a call.

But there are cops on every force that are little more than "knuckleheads". This was how one officer described the officer involved in the recent incident a few doors from me. Some officers are overly aggressive in their tactics. Some get an ego kick out of flaunting their authority. That is what gets them in trouble on stops of civilians in this Terry Stop process. As soon as they start pushing their authority a mere encounter almost automatically becomes an investigative detention.

E. Ogre
Old 04-28-12, 07:30 PM
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiteknight
"We have stated that even when officers have no basis for suspecting a particular individual, they may generally ask questions of that individual [and] ask to examine the individual's identification[.]" United States V. Hicks
Ok, very good. However, the other half of the equation is not addressed by this statement.

If there is "no basis for suspecting a particular individual", is that particular individual obligated to answer said questions? And more so, is the individual obligated to carry identification to be examined?

For the record, quite often I go for rides of 30 minutes to 2 hours or more, by myself, and cover anywhere from 10 to 40 miles. I don't need a license to operate my vehicle and my vehicle does not require licensing or insurance. I do not carry, or need to carry identification when i ride.
Old 04-28-12, 07:44 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I carry identification not in case I am stopped by police, but so it will speak for me if I'm in an accident or something happens where I can't respond.
Old 04-28-12, 08:19 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I admit that I am inclined to cut cops some slack, although that hasn't always been the case. He can legally stop you and ask for ID. He also can legally lie to you. He did both, although he may not have known about the change in the local ordinance. Nothing to see here, really. Personally, I would be pleased that he has taken the time to patrol the bike path.

About a decade ago, my spouse was working for a small company that held a holiday party in December about 130 miles from where we were living. I was out of town so he went by himself. He drove a ratty old pick-up. As he was returning home, a state trooper pulled a neat u-turn on a two lane highway to get behind him. Sure enough, as they approached the only parking lot for thirty miles the trooper pulled him over. After checking the registration and my spouse's ID, the trooper apologized for making up the story about not being able to see the registration sticker on the plate and admitted that he made the stop because in his experience a lot of meth is distributed in old pick-ups. Again, no harm done. My spouse thanked him for his efforts and they both went on their way.
Old 04-28-12, 08:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by on the path
Ok, very good. However, the other half of the equation is not addressed by this statement.

If there is "no basis for suspecting a particular individual", is that particular individual obligated to answer said questions? And more so, is the individual obligated to carry identification to be examined?

For the record, quite often I go for rides of 30 minutes to 2 hours or more, by myself, and cover anywhere from 10 to 40 miles. I don't need a license to operate my vehicle and my vehicle does not require licensing or insurance. I do not carry, or need to carry identification when i ride.
From what I have been able to learn from some of these court rulings is that if a police officer asks for identification you need only give your name. You may have to stand and wait while they run it through their computer. Around here that is usually done to check for outstanding warrants. If the officer can not verify you through the computer they could possibly hold you until proof of who you are comes up. Which is why a photo ID card is unquestionable the best approach for such things.
From what I understand of it you do not have to answer any questions regarding what you are doing at the time. If the officer pushes the issue he is on the edge of investigative detention. Under PA court rulings the thing about a mere encounter is that you must be able to feel that you are free to go at anytime. As soon as the officer does anything that would in any way block your ability to walk away he is again bordering on investigative detention.

Trouble is that if a police officer does push his authority and question you there is little you can do if he does not arrest you for anything. He is essentially violating the law but there is little you can do about it in the absence of any harm to you in any form.

I always carry an ID card of some sorts. Simply in case I am in some sort of accident while out riding alone. As Bikey Mikey also explains. If you were to be taken into a hospital unconscious the lack of any ID could be a problem when it comes to treatment.
Old 04-28-12, 09:03 PM
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiteknight
I always carry an ID card of some sorts. Simply in case I am in some sort of accident while out riding alone. As Bikey Mikey also explains. If you were to be taken into a hospital unconscious the lack of any ID could be a problem when it comes to treatment.
I do understand that and don't think it's a bad idea at all. I've got emergency numbers in my cell phone that are easy to find. I always have my phone with me. I'm also thinking of carrying a health insurance card with me.
Old 04-29-12, 09:05 AM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
An interesting encounter, to say the least. I have two questions:

What exactly is a "Bike Permit", and is it an actual requirement in the given area?

What did the officer mean by the comment "that I looked like I live there"?
Old 04-29-12, 03:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hendo252
Obviously you aren't from California, where Public Safety folks are very, very highly paid, have retirement plans that are grotesquely rich, and rules that allow 99.9% of them to leave on "disability" retirement by age 40.

Ask any bike shop who buys the big-bucks bikes -- they'll all tell you retired government employees.

My $0.02
I agree with all of the above!!!
It's no wonder Calif economy is in the crapper! And to top it off these people (govt. employees) have a culture of entitlement!
Old 04-29-12, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
Police state this country is becoming!

When I am going to Arizona next month as a foreign born american I will have to carry my american passport to show that I am here legally!
You are welcome to stay in Taxalfornia. By the way "american" should begin with a capital A.

Well known fact that it is every cop's dream to give a ticket to a cyclist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.