Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Auto Save

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto Save

Anyone know what the new yellow "Auto-saved" pop up in the corner of the posting text box is all about?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
    Anyone know what the new yellow "Auto-saved" pop up in the corner of the posting text box is all about?
    No, but it just recently appeared, and the spell check appears to either not work or is working differently. My guess is there was an upgrade to the platform.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very recent upgrade I think. For the past few weeks I noticed that only the five most recent pages were all that was available in 50+. As of today it appears that there are 50 pages available.
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 04-27-12 at 02:10 PM.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure it's designed to avoid losing a post while you are still typing it. However, maybe because of my out-of-date browser at work, I just had my first ever BF post "eaten".
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have a spell checker since I bought the new computer but it does not spell English "English" that well. Never knew the "English" language has so many "Z's" in it as opposed to "S's" that I know from my school days. Must be these "Americanisations" Again.

Noticed the Auto Save feature but not worked out the use of it yet.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Firefox 12 and it has a built in spell checker(actually, so did previous versions that used).

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something is going on with me. I use Mozilla Firefox and all of a sudden cannot post to this site. I was able to post using Internet Explorer yesterday and that's what I'm using now. I am not having this problem on any other site using either browser. Any ideas why?

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure. I'm using FF 12 and I can post fine. What version of Firefox are you using?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's to help a complaint in forums. I've read a few people over the years who complained that they just typed out a very long post and tried to post it, then the forum software failed and they lost it all.

Gmail does an auto save frequently too. Nice to have.
    mainlytext.com/bike.html Bicycling in winter, the entertainment version

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    Something is going on with me. I use Mozilla Firefox and all of a sudden cannot post to this site. I was able to post using Internet Explorer yesterday and that's what I'm using now. I am not having this problem on any other site using either browser. Any ideas why?
    The forum had a software upgrade. If you are having issues, can you please post them in the User Assistance problem thread? That way we can get IB to start working on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    Does the ignore feature just replace all of the poster's text with "Said something stupid" because that would be awesome.
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    The forum had a software upgrade. If you are having issues, can you please post them in the User Assistance problem thread? That way we can get IB to start working on it.
    Since you said "we" there is a presumption you are part of the administration. If so, isn't it a bit silly to ask someone to post a question somewhere else when you already know about it?

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else noticed if their front and back arrows won't work in the reply boxes? I saw the Auto-save indicator when I was trying to figure out why the arrows would not work.

Bill
    Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It used to be if I wrote something long(very rare), I'd highlight and copy it before I hit SEND, just in case...

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to make one startling mistake on posting and it always involved Pics. I would write a post and then go advanced and preview the pics. Then instead of just closing the pic- I would exit BF. The Auto save brings up a window if I make that mistake now without posting the thread or reply so will save me a few problems and swearing.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Anyone else noticed if their front and back arrows won't work in the reply boxes? I saw the Auto-save indicator when I was trying to figure out why the arrows would not work.

Bill
    Front and back arrows??? I don't see any stinking arrows. What arrows??
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running Chrome, on both my Mac and Linux VM. It pops up on both. Hey, if it works, it works.
    I thought I was suffering from depression once. Turned out, I was simply surrounded by idiots.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you said "we" there is a presumption you are part of the administration. If so, isn't it a bit silly to ask someone to post a question somewhere else when you already know about it?
    I am just a volunteer forum moderator. I don't work for Internet Brands so I have no idea what problems exist unless I experience them myself or users report them.

It is much easier for us (the moderators) to track issues people are having if they are located in a single thread in User Assistance, as opposed to being sprinkled in various threads throughout the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    Does the ignore feature just replace all of the poster's text with "Said something stupid" because that would be awesome.
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    Front and back arrows??? I don't see any stinking arrows. What arrows??
    ON the keyboard Phil, on the keyboard.
    Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Closed Office View Post
    It's to help a complaint in forums. I've read a few people over the years who complained that they just typed out a very long post and tried to post it, then the forum software failed and they lost it all.
    Yes, I tried to post the other day and I had to start over from scratch 3 times.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BikeForums is on the very latest version of vBulletin (release 4.1.12). The auto save feature has been available since (IIRC) version 4.1.4 or so, but it didn't announce itself as it does now.

Here's a blurb from the software vendor about Auto Save:

Content auto-save is like an emergency parachute – it automatically saves your content so that it can be restored in the event that things go very wrong.

Imagine this scenario. You’ve sat down to write a blog entry or a really long reply to a thread. Like a mad composer, you are banging away on the keyboard typing away furiously; your words and ideas are flowing freely into the editor. In an unfortunate twist of cruel fate your foot kicks the power outlet and unplugs your computer. Your computer shuts down as you begin to panic – the panic slowly transforming into agonizing rage. Well, there is good news! The new CKEditor automatically backs up your work every 30 seconds (this is adjustable). You curse the skies, successfully reboot your computer and navigate back to the page where you were writing the content, click the “Restore Auto-Save” button and magically – your masterpiece is now restored. Nothing has been lost!

This magic auto-save functionality applies to the editor in general and is available in all vBulletin sections, including CMS, Forums and Blogs.

Try this:

Start typing a reply.

Stop - go and do something else for a minute or two.

Kill your browser. Just close it.

Re-open your browser, and navigate back to the exact page you were on.

There's now a small button on the bottom-left of your text box, labeled "Restore Auto-Save”. Click it.

Bingo - the text you'd started typing, before you cruelly killed your browser, is back.
    Regards,
    Duncan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGlenday View Post
    BikeForums is on the very latest version of vBulletin (release 4.1.12). The auto save feature has been available since (IIRC) version 4.1.4 or so, but it didn't announce itself as it does now.

Here's a blurb from the software vendor about Auto Save:

Try this:

Start typing a reply.

Stop - go and do something else for a minute or two.

Kill your browser. Just close it.

Re-open your browser, and navigate back to the exact page you were on.

There's now a small button on the bottom-left of your text box, labeled "Restore Auto-Save”. Click it.

Bingo - the text you'd started typing, before you cruelly killed your browser, is back.
    Where is it saved? On the Forum server or on the individual's computer?

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is it saved? On the Forum server or on the individual's computer?
    On the forum's server.
    Regards,
    Duncan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I do have a spell checker since I bought the new computer but it does not spell English "English" that well. Never knew the "English" language has so many "Z's" in it as opposed to "S's" that I know from my school days. Must be these "Americanisations" Again.
    Maybe its the document. I'm writing a book for an English publisher based on Word templates they gave me. It really hates when I type in color instead of colour. Otherwise my copy of Word is standard American.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.