0 Thread(s)

More evidence that regular physical activity helps prevent Alzheimer's

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And some recent research with mice seems to demonstrate that regular exercise improves their mental acuity. QED- must be good for **** sapiens!
    Rick T
    --------
    daVinci Joint Venture
    Volagi
    Strava Tandem Club

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    And some recent research with mice seems to demonstrate that regular exercise improves their mental acuity. QED- must be good for **** sapiens!
    It really is about time the censorship filter for these forums is overhauled. This is ridiculous.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    It really is about time the censorship filter for these forums is overhauled. This is ridiculous.
    +1 ...really!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Would agree but there are "Some" very sensitive people about and from over here I can type words that are in common usage but are offensive in other countries.

And the exercise bit--I know of someone that has Parkinsons disease and we would both love to see if he can get exercise on the Tandem. Bit difficult to arrange but Bob Foster has a riding partner that rides a Trike recumbent. Might be able to arrange a test for him to see if he can get on with one.

Exercise seems to be the panacea for many illnesses so imagine what you would be like if you did not have a bike. Think I would be a gibbering wreck.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've shifted my whole eating and activity lifestyle over the last couple of years. Getting away from a desk (and the computer) was a strong positive.

I just ran into a related article yesterday. Eating too much causes memory loss.

http://www.dlife.com/diabetes-news/c...sk-memory-loss
    mainlytext.com/bike.html Bicycling in winter, the entertainment version

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exercise + proper diet = the fountain of youth. I am starting to reap the rewards of 40 years of living a healthful lifestyle.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sure hope there is more research on this. The actual wording of the first paragraph is the most telling:
    "Higher levels of daily physical activity are associated with a decreased risk of Alzheimer’s disease, new research suggests."
    It occurs to me that what they didn't fully discuss is the possibility that decreased physical activity could be one of the signs that Alzheimer's is in its early stages. While there may be more in the study itself, it was glossed over pretty quickly. I hope this is not the case, but am a bit leary.
    Last edited by NOS88; 04-28-12 at 07:30 PM.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Would agree but there are "Some" very sensitive people about and from over here I can type words that are in common usage but are offensive in other countries.

And the exercise bit--I know of someone that has Parkinsons disease and we would both love to see if he can get exercise on the Tandem. Bit difficult to arrange but Bob Foster has a riding partner that rides a Trike recumbent. Might be able to arrange a test for him to see if he can get on with one.

Exercise seems to be the panacea for many illnesses so imagine what you would be like if you did not have a bike. Think I would be a gibbering wreck.
    Or maybe a single:

I'm not sure what this guy does at stop signs.

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exercise + proper diet = the fountain of youth. I am starting to reap the rewards of 40 years of living a healthful lifestyle.
    Me too. I have three siblings. I am the only one who has maintained an active lifestyle, follows a very healthy way of eating, and is at my ideal weight. I hate watching loved ones suffer from a lower quality of life because of the poor lifestyle choices they've made.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read that another factor to help prevent Alzheimer's is brain exercise, such as playing chess, card games, even posting on the internet. Watching TV is not what the writer had in mind. It seems to me that cycling covers both aspects, exercising both the body physically and mentally. Making traffic decisions, dodging pot holes, or if you're a Mountain bike rider, dodging trees, reading the route, it all counts.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHen View Post
    That's an inspirational video. I hope they got the guy a tricycle so he can get around whenever he wants.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was it we were talking about?...

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHen View Post
    OK, so a trained health care worker at a hospital puts an elderly Parkinson's patient with severe motor impairments on a bicycle on cobblestones in an area with cars without a helmet?
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, no helmet is probably not the best choice but he is incredibly stable. I have a friend that has bad Parkinson's. He can out-shoot all of us with a rifle though. Go figure!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    OK, so a trained health care worker at a hospital puts an elderly Parkinson's patient with severe motor impairments on a bicycle on cobblestones in an area with cars without a helmet?
    Let's not start the helmet debate here. There's a very long thread for the purpose in A&S.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Increased oxygenated blood cells to any organ can be beneficial.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.