Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Torn muscle advice

New to this thread. Would like to say I read it all, but hey, I never made it past the first chapter of War and Peace either.

I am 56, a shrinking Clyde, and and hope to work up to a century by the end of the year. I did a thread search an didn't find a reference to a problem I had recently. Last Friday evening before a 30 mile charity ride I noticed a lump on my calf, just below the knee. It was the area of a quarter and had the radius of a golf ball. It was mildly painful to the touch, but unnoticeable if left alone. I assumed it was a bug bite.

By Monday the lump had shrunk to a hard mass the size of a peanut, and there is a gradually darkening bruise 1 1/2 x 2 inches below the knee. Doc said Wednesday that it is likely a torn muscle, and the bruising is a side effect of my prescription blood thinner. Doc told me to stay off it for a week, but I want to do the metric course of the San Diego Century in four weeks. I don't want to go off training so close to the event.

I commute by bike and had a great sprint of five miles flat at 17-20 mph avg. I felt fine. I don't grind and keep a pretty decent cadence. but I noticed more darkening.

Was planning a 40 mile club ride tomorrow. Mostly flat and some gentle hills. Wife say no. I'm not sure.

What to do?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is a torn muscle then rest will help it but sitting on a saddle is not the only way to stay fit. Stay off the leg but sit ups- chest exercises- and probably a lot more will keep the fitness going.

On top of that-A few days rest never did any-one any harm and does help in recovery.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you get plenty of vitamin C during your recovery. It helps the body heal itself quite a bit. I have noticed that eating an orange after a very hard ride can prevent a lot of soreness and stiffness the next day.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me, I'd rest it. If your fitness is so far off the mark that one week of rest makes the difference in your planned century ride, I doubt riding with an injury is going to do much for you over the next week.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. I learned a lesson last yesterday. I did the ride. The hematoma is fine, but I had a mildly sore back at the start. The last five miles were grueling. I sit here now in agony with what I believe is a kidney stone. I'll do a few days rest for the leg, and hope the stone passes (not my first). Some of you mentioned nutrition, and I have been trying to eat better, and follow the "real food" philosophy. Sadly, wife is hooked on fake-processed junk, and refuses to change.