User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a flat dead snake is a good snake. rode by one (the flat dead variety) on Sunday. very flat and very dead but oh my but it was a big snake when it was alive. hate snakes. really nice thing about Ireland.
    Georgia state law stating that bicyclists “May Use Full Lane” when lane widths are not wide enough for motorists to safely pass cyclists and stay completely within the travel lane. (now all I have to do is convince GA drivers to read the law).

Cannondale Synapse 6.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just walk out the doors here and I can see anything from a Black Snake to a Diamondback Rattler in my yard. Plenty of cotton mouths and moccasins here as well as coral snakes. My little cat likes to pester them and once drummed up a 6' + Diamondback in our front yard. He was as big as my wrist in circumference and was in full rattle. I got between them and took the cat inside. These are our rodent control here.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marmot View Post
    You're in Tennessee, BigBad? .
    Lived here for 18 years and have ridden dirt bikes 1000s of miles thru the woods, ridden mtn bikes, fished all over, kayaked all over. This is the first one I've seen. Hopefully it is the last.
    I am always very wary in the Spring. Make a lot of noise and trash the grass around me when walking near water. In the summertime it doesn't seem to be much of a problem. Little buggers are pissy in the Spring!
    Last edited by bigbadwullf; 05-01-12 at 09:07 AM.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like snakes. Many is the time I stopped during a ride to urge a snake off the road or path so it wouldn't get run over. These were mostly rattlers, but some king snakes too.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    My little cat likes to pester them and once drummed up a 6' + Diamondback in our front yard. He was as big as my wrist in circumference and was in full rattle. I got between them and took the cat inside. These are our rodent control here.

Bill
    Eastern Diamondbacks get positively huge. Thank you for treating the wildlife with respect!
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    I like snakes. Many is the time I stopped during a ride to urge a snake off the road or path so it wouldn't get run over. These were mostly rattlers, but some king snakes too.
    Good on you, Looigi.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My inner-tube was bitten by the infamous invisible pinch-flat-snake.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
    Eastern Diamondbacks get positively huge. Thank you for treating the wildlife with respect!
    Its just what I do AZTRider, they are a part of this areas ecosystem and keep the rodents under control. It has been a long time since a snake bite occurred here. My dad was a land surveyor and worked in heavily forested areas. He had pictures of Eastern Diamondbacks that were 8'+ in length. One had a whole rabbit in its gullet, being digested.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't go out of my way to kill them nor move them. I just shoo them away when I am in their home. But if it were in my back yard(suburb) it would be dead.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I foolishly ran over a rattler on purpose, while coasting down a steep mountain rode on my old Columbia when I was a twelve year old brat. Darn thing flipped up when the front wheel hit it, and got caught in the rear spokes for a couple of revolutions. Blood and guts everywhere, and me trying to ride with my feet on the handle bars, while waiting for the bite I knew was coming. Thankfully, it didn't bite, and didn't stop the wheel, but I'll never do that again!

My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alaskans want to know, "what are these things called snakes?" .

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate snakes. Seems I read something about the natural dislike of them in Genesis, a book in the Bible. Other than hiring one to represent me in a court of law, I don't have any use for them.
    Who is John Galt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the local MUP today, I rode around a blind corner next to an evergreen tree and before I could react I double thumped a dead garter snake. No harm, no foul! Just glad it wasn't alive and sunning itself.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two live snakes on the trail today. One a baby, which my wife and I both negotiated around. The other about 2 feet long. Fine with me, but a pedestrian coming by freaked out, and would not pass the snake until it moved off the trail. It was sunning itself.

I have no problem with snakes, but the wife ........... well, don't even mention them to her!!

I believe I saw a small rattler a couple of days ago. Some folks were gathered around, so I rode on. I later saw these folks, and they hadn't a clue, and were a bit shocked when I mentioned it might be a rattler. I have seen a verified rattler in the exact same spot a few years back.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-05-12 at 02:00 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Terratrike Tour, recumbent tadpole tricycle.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ran over a big coiled snake going downhill on a dirt path with patches of sand, a while back, not sure I even hurt it. Woke up a very pretty garter snake sleeping in the middle of the road, and met a lovely dark brownish red-and-cream striped King Snake on another dirt path a few days ago. It had quite the attitude, but these are the "good" snakes, not poisonous, they kill and eat rattlers. The only snakes I fear are the poisonous ones. The Mojave Rattler, mostly south of here, is as bad as the coral snake, it has a neurotoxin for venom, very difficult to treat a bite from one of those.
    What do you call a cyclist who sells potpourri on the road? A pedaling petal-peddler.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WPeabody View Post
    Ran over a big coiled snake going downhill on a dirt path with patches of sand, a while back, not sure I even hurt it. Woke up a very pretty garter snake sleeping in the middle of the road, and met a lovely dark brownish red-and-cream striped King Snake on another dirt path a few days ago. It had quite the attitude, but these are the "good" snakes, not poisonous, they kill and eat rattlers. The only snakes I fear are the poisonous ones. The Mojave Rattler, mostly south of here, is as bad as the coral snake, it has a neurotoxin for venom, very difficult to treat a bite from one of those.
    The only good snake is made into a hat band or belt.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12