Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Urinary Infections

I'm just tailing off my 2nd BAD urinary infection (five degree F elevated temp) within 8 months, the only two such infections in my life. Had an appointment with my Internist this AM who tells me that urinary infections are rare occurrences in males but two such in this time frame makes him think something is up. He suspects that it is related to biking but has referred me to a urologist.

Insight?

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drink and drink more water, but you can also try cranberry juice which has some natural antibiotics!

Good luck.

My Bikes
    Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had them periodically, without any particular source being suspected. Usually in winter, when biking is definitely not a factor.

Heck, the biggest problem I'd had in the past was finding a doctor who would even believe I had one. The last time, I went to an urgent-care clinic on a weekend, and had to talk to three Doctors before I managed to get treated. The first two were convinced that since "Males almost never get UTI's", that I was faking it in an attempt to get antibiotics for some other reason.
    Knows the weight of my bike to the nearest 10 pounds.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A prostate/bladder workup is probably in order.

Most people would be skeptical about blaming UTIs on cycling.

If you wear underwear on your head for three days, the symptoms will go away.

The above is for information only and is not to be taken as medical advice.

If you really try the underwear on the head maneuver, you may need to be evaluated for other issues.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had two of the nasties, spaced about three years apart. Both occurred during the off-season, when I had not been riding for some time. My PCP did not
    seem to think it was cycling related at all, and was not concerned about it. He did mention that if they started to happen more frequently, he would order tests.
    He did not specify what kind of tests however.

In both of mine, a week long regimen of antibiotic did the trick.

The tip on Cranberry juice is a good one, but you have to find real cranberry juice. The "Cranberry Juice Cocktail" they sell at the supermarket is not the stuff.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VNA View Post
    Drink and drink more water, but you can also try cranberry juice which has some natural antibiotics!

Good luck.
    This!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In men over 50 sometimes an enlarged prostate can cause UTIs. That stale urine that doen't void is pretty nasty stuff. If you take meds that temporarily cause swollen prostate, like cold medicine it can also lead to UTIs. More water that you cant completly void doesnt help any.
    Last edited by Altamont; 05-02-12 at 07:30 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm prone to UTIs and ride a recumbent 75% of the time. I also haven't had a prostate since 2003.

Anyway, causes unknown, but I do get them rather frequently. I'm seeing an oncologist this morning and always have to give a urine sample. Wouldn't surprise me if I have a slight infection at the moment.
    Last edited by Trsnrtr; 05-02-12 at 06:25 AM.
    Dennis T

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you. I have them kinda often. At first my doctor was skeptical, but with blood in the urine and a lab report indicating infection, he talked with another physician, who is a bicyclist. The second doctor recommends a completely different bike saddle.

There's something about crushing the urethra that stresses it in some of us.
    Who is John Galt?

My Bikes
    Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem, Jamis Xenith Race,'88 Bob Jackson Touring Bike (I love this one best), Co-Motion Cascadia Touring Bike, Salsa Fargo, Burley TAB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my third year in a row that I got a uti at the early part of the biking season. This one is starting right now coincidentally. It always starts with a swollen right testicle. Last two times it took ten days of antibiotics to clear it up. I have not made it to the urologist yet this time but symptoms are identical to last two times. It seems like too much of a coincidence that it is correlated closely each time wh starting to bike after a winter off.

The irritated urethra sounds plausible as a cause.

Urologist says cranberry juice does not do much (and even if it does it is a diuretic not an antibiotic).

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a solution to every problem. If we keep getting urethral infections, all they need to do is completely remove our penises.
    Who is John Galt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one way to help not get the prostate infections is to empty it every day, if you know what I mean. my doc told me so.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Altamont View Post
    one way to help not get the prostate infections is to empty it every day, if you know what I mean. my doc told me so.
    A phone excuse is better than none at all.
    Who is John Galt?