Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrong time to post these pics--

I know we are coming onto summer with all the light evenings for riding but I am doing a night ride shortly and a couple of months ago replaced my "OLD" front lamp that was losing some efficiency and battery life.

I have been a fan of the "USE" Exposure lamps ever since I got my last and first one. That was 7 years ago and it gave out 280 lumens from two x 5watt LED's. Battery life was not that good from the L Ion battery at only 2 hours on full beam but on low power it had 7 hours so would last a road ride. But as I say- it was beginning to go down on me so bought the updated version. Half the weight- double the power and battery life.

Went out for a ride tonight and Full power is blinding. Medium power is suitable for normal riding but the low power is not quite good enough to see fully. It would be fine for Town riding with street lamps and If put on blink will definitely get the attention of other road users. Got home and put the Pinnie 80 ft from where the pics were taken.

That is low power and as I say- not really good enough for riding my country lanes.

I could ride on this and still see enough at speed and they say that the battery should last for 7 hours at this level.

I would hate to come across the full power as this is blinding. 680 lumens and the spread of the beam was pretty good. They state 4 hours light at this level but if I use this for that long- My night ride would have finished and it will be dawn.

Finally- to show the two lamps- the old one is the larger of the two and incidentally the price has gone down by about 25% in the last 7 years. Still expensive but you have to pay for quality if you need it.
    Last edited by stapfam; 05-01-12 at 02:35 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the review and photos Stapfam! I'm not familiar with that brand, but since the battery on my Priceton Tech seems to be having trouble holding a charge, I am in the market for a new light.

I do have a NiteRider Minewt for commuting, but it doesn't last long enough on one charge to make it through the night stages of a double century.

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of them either, then Google showed me to their web site in the U.K., (http://www.exposurelights.com/) On the lower left of that page is a link taking one to the U.S. distributor, (http://www.ibexsports.com/exposurelights.html).

Nice lights. They have a monster light that puts out 1950 lumens! Now, that's bright!

Looks like they have a strobe mode and an adapter to allow rearward facing applications. Yes, expensive, but what is the cost of our safety?

- - - edited to add - - -

In the colonies, the "Race" model that stepfam shows is called the "Strada". Looks like the charging port is different, otherwise the specs are the same. Three and a half bills from the distributor, and the same price at Amazon.
    Last edited by volosong; 05-02-12 at 09:30 AM.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very appropriate post for our aged demographic. Night vision starts to go in the tank in the late 20's.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In actuality you shouldn't notice any difference in night vision until cataracts start developing. The onset of them can vary widely but let's just say age 60-65 for argument's sake. If you notice problems seeing at night you should have your eyes checked out for the need of glasses( a little bit can go a long way) or heaven forbid, Retinitis Pigmentosa.
    I have a Minewt Mini also and an Urban 300. I use them mostly for mountain biking, as I ride during light hours on the road bike with the mini blinkers.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought my first Exposure lamp in 2005 and it was good enough for our offroad night training for our long ride. Thing I liked about it was that at full power we could go full bore downhill and see everything- and the lamp is fully enclosed so no leads or batteries to fall off. The new one has better battery life and on medium power it will last 10 hours. There are also "Piggyback" batteries if you need extra. On Full power on the road you get blinded by the cars coming the other way as they flash you.

On Light out put-The old one had 280 Lumens of power. That was enough for offroad. The new one has 645. That is a lot and for road use too much. I use Medium power on the road but just a push button to blind cars if you want. Hate to say it but This lamp is way up the top on power- and price. I think it is worth it. I was thinking about the Magishine. Far cheaper and possibly more powerful but will it last 7 years?

Going to the UK site- The strada only has two level of light out put Wheras the "Race" has 3. That was what swung it for me as that low intensity has a use.

I know there are other lamps around that are just as good- or even better- but I know this one works and I have faith in it.

Link to the UK site

http://www.exposurelights.com/produc...4/maxx-d-mk.4/
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan