Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike was stolen while having coffee this morning

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike was stolen while having coffee this morning

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 06:46 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Actually, Little Rock is pretty good for not having your bike stolen. BA's is the first I've heard of in 7 years here, so it's not surprising that you can get lulled into a false sense of security.
I don't know about their stolen bike statistics, but Little Rock is significantly higher than the national average for property crime.

This is the lock that I carry, unless I'm going to ride in Madison, where I will use a heavier lock. https://www.onguardlock.com/?page_id=329
It isn't a lot of protection, with its thin 6mm cable, but it will stop someone from just jumping on & riding off. If they have any kind of cutting tool, it can be snipped in a few seconds. I like the settable combination, set it to my favorite 4-digit code and don't have to keep track of a key. Not very large or heavy either.

When I ride my recumbent, I tend to think of myself as being very safe from thieves. They don't tend to take bents. Too hard to move, too hard to hide.

Still crossing my fingers and hoping for BikeArkansas. I've known people who have found their bikes after a theft. Not often, but it does happen.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-03-12, 07:45 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnosis
BikeArkansas, I mean the following respectfully (as I hate to see anyone robbed of that which they’ve rightfully paid for) however; you apparently haven’t learned the fullness of your costly lesson.

You’d have to ride on another uninhabited planet to avoid crime, as crime happens EVERYWHERE and even crime statistics are subject to manipulation (to make a city appear more desirable than it otherwise would be due to its objectionable crime rate), so if you presume your next bike would be any less prone to potential theft when left unattended and unsecured to a permanent structure just because it’s in a perceived “lesser crime area”, then you’re setting yourself up for your next significant loss, costly lesson number two.

You should be dealing with this theft scenario like those taught to handle a weapon, that being, always view the weapon as though it’s fully loaded, its firing mechanism cocked, and its safety is off therefore NEVER cross any portion of anyone’s body lines with the weapon unless you intend to kill them. Heeding this teaching prevents innocent individuals from being accidentally maimed or killed by a weapon that malfunctions and discharges for whatever reason.

In like manner, you should always presume a thief is present and awaiting the opportunity that YOU provide them to steal your bike, in which case, you must always securely lock your bicycle and wheels to a permanent structure if it will be out of eyesight or out of your immediate control and since all locks, cables, and chains can be compromised in a fairly short duration with an appropriate cutting device, an expensive bike should never be left unattended. When shopping requires leaving a bike unattended, an inexpensive Wally World bike is the way to go (perhaps the best $90 ever spent to save a bike worth many thousands from being stolen when left unattended).

Now, if you wish to ride your expensive bike with a group of friends and you know there will be stops along the way, appoint one or two dependable friends to remain with the bikes at all times as virtual guard dogs. I do this with mine and my cousin’s bikes all the time. After they come out of the store, I’ll go in and purchase what I want or they’ll purchase what I want for me while I guard our expensive bikes. When I’m by myself and I have to leave my bicycle unattended while I shop, I’ll only ride my inexpensive Wally World bike to the store. Even so, I still lock its wheels and frame securely to a permanent structure and I make great haste moving through the store, so I get in and out very quickly.

I’m 56 years old and though I live in a relatively high crime location (just outside of west Philadelphia), I’ve never had ANY cars, motorcycles, or bicycles stolen (though several non-heeding family members have including my two know-it-all sons who had their motorcycles stolen the same night) and it’s no mere coincidence that I’ve remained theft free, as I persistently apply every precaution to prevent them from being stolen. So you might want to heed that which works for those with wisdom concerning this matter.
In an earlier post on this thread I said that the worst thing that they take from you is your peace of mind. Somebody got yours didn't they?
Old 05-03-12, 07:54 PM

Bikes: 1995 Raleigh, 1986 Nishiki Olympic 12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really feel for you. All you can do is put out your own APB. Homeowners and renters should both cover contents, check with your agent.
Old 05-03-12, 08:15 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
A misfortune and a hard lesson. Sorry to hear of it!
Old 05-03-12, 09:07 PM

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads Elite, Specialized Trcross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, that sucks big time. How many of us haven't stopped for coffee and left their bike unlocked, leaning against a wall or tree while we went inside? If you aren't insured and don't want to fork out big bucks for another nice ride, consider a used bike and/or down grade to a lesser bike. Hang in there and I hope it turns up - stranger things have happened.
Old 05-03-12, 09:21 PM
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is true but an arduino shield for gprs is coming down in size all the time. I'm just waiting for them to get small enough before I buy one and start testing it as an embeddable gps device.

Originally Posted by contango
Not possible - a GPS receiver has no capability to transmit its location.
Old 05-03-12, 09:41 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I need to take this as a wake up call as I do the same thing as he OP. I never carry a lock on a CF bike. I left a message with my homeowners insurance to see if mine is covered.
Old 05-03-12, 11:33 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
This is the lock that I carry, unless I'm going to ride in Madison, where I will use a heavier lock. https://www.onguardlock.com/?page_id=329
It isn't a lot of protection, with its thin 6mm cable, but it will stop someone from just jumping on & riding off. If they have any kind of cutting tool, it can be snipped in a few seconds. I like the settable combination, set it to my favorite 4-digit code and don't have to keep track of a key.
Please don't encourage people to buy this sort of lock. Quite apart from its flimsy cable, I can pick that sort of combination lock in well under two minutes, and I am neither a thief or a locksmith.

You're right, it will stop someone just getting on your bike and riding away, but anyone who has bothered to find out how can open that lock without carrying a cutting tool.
Old 05-03-12, 11:57 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I don't know about their stolen bike statistics, but Little Rock is significantly higher than the national average for property crime.
I can't quote you statistics, just what I know from living in Little Rock for 7 years.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-04-12, 12:00 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
I need to take this as a wake up call as I do the same thing as he OP. I never carry a lock on a CF bike. I left a message with my homeowners insurance to see if mine is covered.
I was going to call my insurance agent, but then I realized I only paid a total of $500 for my stable of 6 bikes. Probably not worth it.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 05-04-12, 01:00 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chasm54
Please don't encourage people to buy this sort of lock. Quite apart from its flimsy cable, I can pick that sort of combination lock in well under two minutes, and I am neither a thief or a locksmith.

You're right, it will stop someone just getting on your bike and riding away, but anyone who has bothered to find out how can open that lock without carrying a cutting tool.
If that lock takes you two minutes to pick it, then it has done it's job.

Like I said, I only use it in very low risk areas, not anywhere where bike crime is an issue. And where I'm not far from the bike. Where I'm talking about, if someone is standing there trying to pick it for two minutes, then they are going to be noticed.

In the small, rural towns (populations usually around 200 to 2000) where I use this lock, I've never known anyone to have a bike stolen. 90% of the bikes I see parked in those towns don't have locks on them. But I use this one just for a little peace of mind.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 05-04-12 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-04-12, 01:21 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If that lock takes you two minutes to pick it, then it has done it's job.

Like I said, I only use it in very low risk areas, not anywhere where bike crime is an issue. And where I'm not far from the bike. Where I'm talking about, if someone is standing there trying to pick it for two minutes, then they are going to be noticed.
It would take a practised thief less than 30 seconds. And to any observer, he or she would look exactly as if (s)he was simply unlocking their own lock. If you're happy, that's fine. But I think it is sensible to warn people that these locks provide virtually no security.
Old 05-04-12, 01:28 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chasm54
It would take a practised thief less than 30 seconds. And to any observer, he or she would look exactly as if (s)he was simply unlocking their own lock. If you're happy, that's fine. But I think it is sensible to warn people that these locks provide virtually no security.
I do find it intriguing that someone could find the right combo out of 10,000 different combinations in 30 seconds.

I tested one of them before buying this. I've seen real cheap versions of these where when you get the first number correct, the lock pulls part way out, so you just spin it to the second number, then it pulled out further, until you worked your way through all 4. But this lock doesn't do that. If if put the first three numbers to the correct combination, and then pull on it, it doesn't move any differently than when the first three numbers are all incorrect. There's no movement at all until you get all 4 digits correct.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 05-04-12 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-04-12, 03:08 AM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
When we do not expect honesty and integrity from people, there will be none.
When we do not punish the criminals among us, they will flourish.
True, but for all we should punish criminals we would be naive to assume that everybody around us .is 100% honest
Old 05-04-12, 08:16 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd seriously think of stalking that place where the glove was. If it's an apartment, maybe the owner can help you out by searching inside it?
Old 05-04-12, 10:33 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
FWIW, a local punk stole my son's race bike (motorcycle) from his locked shed. We knew who did it and confirmed that he did it but the police were powerless to act (long story). A few months later the thief was on a stolen dirt bike fleeing from the police when he was hit and killed by an F-150. That night my son and I went out for a beer to celebrate "one less a--hole in the world."
Old 05-04-12, 11:04 AM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
So, what do you do with a road bike? People don't take big, heavy locks. There are times you must leave the bike. Like when using a restroom. I find this to be a PITA. My biggest struggle with longer distance biking alone is finding a place to pee where I feel secure about my bike. (I am a woman so I have less choices on sneaking a pee).

Sorry about your bike BikeArkansas. This winter I rode with a leisure ride group and we would stop for breakfast. We parked our bikes in a bunch and no one ever locked them. It was a risk.
Old 05-04-12, 11:29 AM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by goldfinch
So, what do you do with a road bike? People don't take big, heavy locks. There are times you must leave the bike. Like when using a restroom. I find this to be a PITA. My biggest struggle with longer distance biking alone is finding a place to pee where I feel secure about my bike. (I am a woman so I have less choices on sneaking a pee).

Sorry about your bike BikeArkansas. This winter I rode with a leisure ride group and we would stop for breakfast. We parked our bikes in a bunch and no one ever locked them. It was a risk.
So much depends on what the lock is expected to do.

If you're wanting to slow a thief for 30 seconds or so to give you the chance to run out of the cafe and claim your bike then you could possibly get away with something as simple as clipping your helmet through the frame and rear wheel. Failing that a cheap and light cable lock should withstand unwanted attention for at least a few seconds.

If you're wanting to protect an expensive bike parked outside overnight in a high-crime area you'll want two D-locks (one for each wheel) and potentially a cable lock as well to secure things like the saddle and anything else attached, or to wrap around something solid if the D-locks aren't big enough. Even then you might come back to the bike to find a bunch of broken bits of lock and no bike.

Last weekend my wife and I did a 100k ride and at the top of a hill I noticed another rider disappearing into the trees, presumably to answer nature's call. My wife needed a rest so we stopped and chatted with the lady watching the two bikes. I was quite surprised when the person emerging from the trees turned out to be a woman. But on a positive note it left my wife feeling a little more comfortable with the answer to the question "what do you do if you need to pee on a long ride?".

In remote areas it's probably less of an issue to take a sneaky leak behind a bush. In more populated areas you're more likely to have at least some form of facilities, even if only in a park or some such. If they have a disabled facility you could potentially use that, taking your bike inside?
Old 05-04-12, 11:41 AM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I grew up doing overnight canoe trips, I have no problem sneaking into the trees. But I have been visiting southern Iowa and places to sneak away have been tough to find. It is also wet here right now and trudging through the ditch in my road shoes to find a spot isn't going to work. Due to some "issues" I have to go to the bathroom fairly frequently. I go through little towns and use ratty restrooms leaving my bike outside. Sometimes someone is around that I can ask to watch the bike. But I question how close they watch it. I do like the helmet strap idea, though my biggest risk is someone coming along and throwing the bike in the back of their pick up truck.

Disabled facilities? Ha! Not in rural America.

Last edited by goldfinch; 05-04-12 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-04-12, 12:08 PM
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is no joke. Masterlock combination locks are susceptible to an attack like this IIRC.

Also, most locks that have a key override have 3-4 tumblers at most and can be unlocked in a matter of seconds. A lot of those "bulletproof" locks that use disc wafers inside that line up with the key.. they can be opened with a jiggler in about 10 seconds.

The scariest thing is that for most pad locks you don't even need to do anything like that. give me a knife or scissors, a soda can, and some pliers and I can get through about 99% of padlocks in 15 seconds or less.

And you wonder why I lock up my bike with my fahgeddaboutit lock every time I stop.

Would anyone here be interested in me putting up clips on my youtube channel about how long it takes to get through various locks?

(I get paid to know how to do stuff like this. I'm *not* a bike thief.)

I do find it intriguing that someone could find the right combo out of 10,000 different combinations in 30 seconds.

I tested one of them before buying this. I've seen real cheap versions of these where when you get the first number correct, the lock pulls part way out, so you just spin it to the second number, then it pulled out further, until you worked your way through all 4. But this lock doesn't do that. If if put the first three numbers to the correct combination, and then pull on it, it doesn't move any differently than when the first three numbers are all incorrect. There's no movement at all until you get all 4 digits correct.
Old 05-04-12, 12:20 PM
brandini

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
ME

Test this please:
https://tigrlock.com/product/

All their test videos are pretty silly since they don't try and push the lock apart in the proper axis.

Old 05-04-12, 12:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
FWIW, a local punk stole my son's race bike (motorcycle) from his locked shed. We knew who did it and confirmed that he did it but the police were powerless to act (long story). A few months later the thief was on a stolen dirt bike fleeing from the police when he was hit and killed by an F-150. That night my son and I went out for a beer to celebrate "one less a--hole in the world."
Justice served
Old 05-04-12, 12:44 PM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by goldfinch
I grew up doing overnight canoe trips, I have no problem sneaking into the trees. But I have been visiting southern Iowa and places to sneak away have been tough to find. It is also wet here right now and trudging through the ditch in my road shoes to find a spot isn't going to work. Due to some "issues" I have to go to the bathroom fairly frequently. I go through little towns and use ratty restrooms leaving my bike outside. Sometimes someone is around that I can ask to watch the bike. But I question how close they watch it. I do like the helmet strap idea, though my biggest risk is someone coming along and throwing the bike in the back of their pick up truck.

Disabled facilities? Ha! Not in rural America.
A long flexible metal cable would be the kind of thing you could loop through the wheels and around a signpost or tree while you use the facilities.

Failing that there's a device called something like a shewee that from what I remember is essentially an anatomically shaped cup with a hose attached. The original idea is that you go into a bag of crystals that absorbs it, although if the legs on your cycling bottoms were short enough you could potentially just spray it against a tree. I've got no idea how easy (or even possible) it would be to manoeuvre such a thing into cycling shorts.
Old 05-04-12, 01:06 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As the OP of this thread, I must ask a question about some of these locks. Many of the rides I am on are all out, meaning we are not racing, but we are pushing very hard. We try to eliminate any weight possible. Heavy locks will not work.

How do you know when you ask someone to "watch your bike"? How do you know that person is not the thief in that area? Just asking/

Also, My bike was one of three together. Mine happened to be the one that was taken. None of the bikes were locked, and never are. They were all top notch bikes, but the type of thieves in the area I was in would not have a single clue about an expensive bike. Actually, at a meeting I attended last year a Little Rock City policeman told us they have more "Wal-Mart" bikes stolen than race type road bikes. First, there are more of them, but more importantly, there is more bling on them. The cop knew bikes and told us the race type bikes are stripped of any bling, such as fenders, to eliminate weight and therefore are not as appealing to most of the snatch type thieves in the area.

Having the helmet straped to the wheel would not have done much good in this situation. I think, with some proof, the bike was carried into the next door apartments. Rolling or riding the bike was not necessary. The bad thing about a lite bike is that it is easy to carry.
Old 05-04-12, 01:25 PM

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
When we do not punish the criminals among us, they will flourish.

...14 year old boy snatched a man's wallet at a convenience store and took off on his bicycle. The man chased him down in his van, ran over him, and then beat him. He died. The man got his wallet back, but was charged with murder.
Shouldn't the punishment fit the crime? Stolen wallet vs. death? I hope you are not implying that punishment (i.e., death) fits and I only post this question because it appears as though you posted the first sentence above and followed up with the second in the same post. If you didn't mean to associate the two it would be good to know that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.