Thread: Overuse?

My Bikes
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp, 1996 Specialized HardRock
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overuse?

I used to run for exercise, and at one point ran every day, rain or shine, heat or cold. Eventually, I ended up with back issues, from overuse/not enough rest.

I would ride my bike every day if I could - and I'm not really able to tune into an "easy" spin. So here's my question:

Do I need recovery days?

I realize I ain't riding huge mileage, am not super fast, and am still improving with both speed and endurance. But are recovery days beneficial? I just wonder if I ride hard enough and long enough to need them physically.

Being 50+, trying to get better, etc, and curious....and I don't want any overuse injuries, because I want to be able to be on my bike as much as I can.
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

My Bikes
    Vitus 979, KHS Montana Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The short answer is yes.

The long answer is definitely yes.

The questions that only you can answer is how frequently and how many days off.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some can ride every day-Ride hard and ride long. I can't. Weekend was where I did my milage- hills and had fun. 30 to 50 miles- 2 to 3,000ft of climbing and at a speed that kept me easy but working. Then twice a week- Tuesday and Thursday- I would do a 20 miler. One up hills and I would put effort into the hills. Recover on the flats. The other would be on a flattish route but I would push myself a bit harder than the weekend rides.

I needed those recovery days but when I first started the "Extra" 20 milers it was hard. How hard do I push on the flat route- how hard do I tackle the hills. The hills were easy- keep the heart rate up but do the hill. The flat route was about the same. Work hard but just leave enough to say I could go harder if required. But these are only 20 miles. I did work harder than on the longer rides but not to the extreme. It did take a couple of months but I found Time on the rides coming down- Hills were getting easier and WHEN I did a longer ride- say an organised 65 miler or more- I could pace myself to finish without tiring before the end- and not feel it the next day.

Not certain on the milage you are doing at present but just getting out and riding helps. If less than 20 miles- then increase gradually. Pace will settle in- legs will improve and lungs will work better. But rest days work aswell- work those into your training programme.

I am now retired so have no regular routine. Still get in 3 or 4 rides a week with rest days and milage is up to 100 to 150 a week. But one hard ride and I will rest an extra day-Except for a recovery ride but that is a different matter.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How much do you ride? Do you have a Strava account?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This time of year, I ride about 120 miles per week. I will get to more like 150-175, some weeks more, when the weather dries out. Combination of commuting, lunch rides, and long weekend rides.
    No strava account - no gps, I am lower tech than that.
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I make a point of getting regular rest days with hardly anything physical happening at all. When I get tired, things I do start blowing up in my face, costly mistakes and that sort of stuff.

When I get a little extra rest, I usually find I needed it more than I realized. Just lately with a health problem, I had the nicest improvement on a 3 day break. On the second and third days, I fell asleep at least 3 times each day, during the day. It's easy to get a bit stressed out at work without realizing it.

Rest is a priority for me.
    mainlytext.com/bike.html Bicycling in winter, the entertainment version

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This can be a tricky thing to figure. I know I have had my go arounds in this area. The best thing I can say try to listen to what your body is telling you and go by that. I used to do three longish (70-80 miles) rides three times a week, now its two times a week and I feel better. But then I am old and everyone has a different set of circumstances to deal with. Good luck.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't directly analogous, but I'm also an ex-runner, now a cyclist, and I used to have trouble making myself take days off.
    Last summer and fall I spent three months in a hospital and inpatient rehab for a rare condition, including eight weeks essentially flat on my back. At one point I didn't have the strength to work the TV remote. The inactivity made me so weak I couldn't walk or even turn on my side in bed. It's taken six months of therapy to get back to a relatively normal life, walking and driving and (soon) riding short distances.
    But here's the relevant part: during the therapy, which was by far the hardest work I've ever done, I saw progress much faster than in normal exercise. For a long time, I literally got measurably stronger every day--but if I didn't take a day off or at least cut way back about every fourth day, I stopped progressing. Rest a day, and things picked up again.
    Does that apply to normal exercise for normal people? I can't prove it, but I can't think why it wouldn't to at least some degree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I try to ride every day, I get progressively slower each day, so I always take a rest day between rides.
    In order to ride at peak performance, I need *two* rest days before a ride.
    I ride ~5000 miles/year.

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride 3 days, 1 day off. For me it works. I need rest days YMMV of course.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take rest days in between the hard/intense rides as well as the long distance rides. Since living in town my riding habits have been to grab the bike and just go for a short jaunt around town especially when my grandson wants to ride to the park.

No way I could ride hard and progress. Mid-season stride may include one or two 20's, a 30 and the weekend will have a 60+mi ride. Hills and fast rides are included. I need the break.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I can't force myself to get up at 4:45am then its a rest day. Happens maybe once every 2 weeks or so. I also commute to almost all my jobs on my bike. I did notice yesterday that after 15 days solid on the bike and 80km between commuting and training that day my remaining energy was ... less than stellar. I can't help but feel guilty if I don't ride 40km or more every day. I'm not interested in winning races or increasing my cruising speed drastically so it seems to work. I have noticed that on days after I've rested I can go faster and further with less perceived effort. I'd say that rest does play a part but I like to go for 10 days or so between rest days.

I'll also take a rest day if I know the next day is going to be hard. Tomorrow I plan on pushing out to 65 miles for the first time this season so this morning I skipped the 30km predawn ride and just settled on the 30km commute by itself.

My Bikes
    Trek 2.1, Trek 930, Fugi Sagres c.1980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really is necessary to take days off and more as we get older. It's can be a hard lesson for many of us to learn but rest and recovery an essential part of training and key to maximizing progress and minimizing injury.
    Last edited by GeezerPete; 05-04-12 at 04:52 AM. Reason: typo

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learn to listen to your body, and lighten up on your personal goals. Cycling is way less stressful on the old bod than running so you can cycle with less chance of injury. Ride everyday if you have time, but LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! If you feel a muscle twinge in the back or calf or anywhere on your body, stop immediately and call a friend or someone to sag you in. Don't try to "play hurt" as if you were a twenty year old again. At this point a few days of rest would be warranted. At our age we have to respect our bodies more than we did when we were younger.

That being said... It would be better to implement regular rest days into your schedule. Your muscles need time to rest. Stretching exercises would be good to work in on rest days.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The amount of rest needed varies greatly by individuals so don't compare yourself to anyone else as an individual. Next, you improve by alternating hard days with easy ones - tear muscle fiber down and then allow for recovery and repair to become stronger. If you don't allow for rest, you prolong getter stronger. Finally if you don't allow for rest/recovery you subject yourself to injury and mental staleness including potentially a form of depression.

If you want to exercise and just did a hard day on the bike or just don't feel like riding, do something else. It's getting warmer and pools will be open. Try swimming as an alternative, or walking, running, lifting weights, etc.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

My Bikes
    Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the habit of checking my resting heart rate first thing in the morning and that indicates to me when I need a rest day (elevated, and really sore legs notify me, too).

I almost never schedule a rest day, but my life always puts them in. I've missed a month of riding so far this year (professional conference away, Mardi Gras, and a couple of post-surgical weeks). They probably don't hurt, but:

I'm trying to learn to accept them...

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did a 25 miler on Tuesday- rest Wednesday due to rain but today did my Training ride.Only 32 miles but after about 10 miles takes in the "High and Over". Name says it all and this is my 4th attempt on mt getting fit regime. First time and I had to take a rest. Next two occasions and I had to stop for a rest at the top before I fell down. Heart rate was way up top and lungs were not working. today and it was not easy. Still did it in lowest gear but at one poine shifted up a couple. not for long as this one has a nasty kink up at the end. got to the top- legs OK-I could still breath and HR was high but not over the top so rode over the top to my break at 16 miles. did it in 1 hour 10 minutes so quite happy. return trip is easier without any hills- just a few up and downs but did the 16 miles in 1 hour 2 minutes.

Considering the low base I started at a month ago- I am happy. Still got to find some more for the hills and some speed on the flats but getting better. For the last month I have been doing 100 to 140 miles a week spread out on 3 or 4 rides with at least one day off between rides. Next week and it is up the anti and try two hard hills and extra milage on at least one ride a week.

But the way my legs feel tonight- I do not want to ride tomorrow. The milage may not be high right now on each ride but the effort going into each one is increasing ride by ride. Providing the weather improves- might even go for a "Ride my Age Ride" soon.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmccain View Post
    I'm in the habit of checking my resting heart rate first thing in the morning and that indicates to me when I need a rest day (elevated, and really sore legs notify me, too).
    +1
    If the compulsion to ride is too great and you find it hard to decrease the intensity, take a day or two each week when you stay in the small chainring, or better yet, N+1 with a bike that has only 1 easy gear. Get your athletic fix AND smell the roses.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '87 DeRosa Professional, '91 Gary Fisher SuperCaliber, 1999 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

My Bikes
    DeSalvo Custom Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for asking the question. I have been pondering the same question and thinking about posting, but knew my post would not have been as clear as yours. I try to ride every other day, of course life interferes some times. I started increasing my mileage in March, after a very long term medical issue, now resolved. I am now riding more most days than in almost any week over the past many years. I am trying not to do to much to soon as I learned my lessons many times over when younger and a runner. I alternate between a couple of routes that take over an hour and variations on those that take about two hours. I hope in a couple of months to bump my long rides up to say 3 hours. Who knows what will happen after that...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the absolute minimum, follow the ol' Biblical standard...take one day off out of seven.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need recovery days for the volume you're doing. Unless you want to get faster. Then you'll need to mix up your workouts with hard days and easy days. The reason you don't go for easy spins now is because you aren't doing hard days. There's very low risk of an overuse injury at under 200 mile/wk.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
    You don't need recovery days for the volume you're doing. Unless you want to get faster. Then you'll need to mix up your workouts with hard days and easy days. The reason you don't go for easy spins now is because you aren't doing hard days. There's very low risk of an overuse injury at under 200 mile/wk.
    This is kind of what I was thinking, that my volume isn't too high to be dangerous. My caution comes from running and feeling great and just running every day and then ending up with a seized back or cranky knee. So I will keep pedaling away with abandon, till I end up popping over 200 regularly, OR it just hurts or ain't fun that day (though the fun part is what had me worried about overuse).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running is much tougher on your body. You can get knee problems on the bike as well at under 200 miles/wk if your fit isn't right or there are some mechanical issues. You just need to pay attention to your body and back off, get a proper fit etc if you have issues.