Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Easyracers Ti-Rush, Tour Easy, Vision R-64 Sabre, Rans Screamer, Bike E CT, Trek R-200, HP Velotechnik SpeedMachine, Haluzak Horizon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who Rides Recumbents

For those who have had knee or hip replacements and or problematic joint problems do you ride high BB's or low BB's? CWLB, SWB or LWB? I have had two (2) total knee replacements. I ride a Ti-Rush, Vision R-64 Sabre and Velotchnik StreetMachine GT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride an EZ3 trike....since starting to ride again, my two artificial knees have loosened up enough for me to get my feet back further than before. I believe that now I could ride a bicycle too. It's funny that the surgeon who gave me my new knees was absolutely against me riding a bike....I wonder why? I guess I'll have to ask him the next time I'm due for a checkup.
    "Oh Yeah?"

Will Pedal for Pie!
    My Bikes
    recumbent, homebuilt and a trek wedgy.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride a homebuilt, it is basically a cross between a haluzak and a vision r40, underseat steering and short wheelbase. 3 coast to coat trips on this one. I also ride a trek hybrid here in NC to fuss as a commuter bike.

NOTE++++++

If your surgeon doesnt want you to ride a bike, the most lost impact and best aerobic exercise you can get for knees, then I would seriously fire the guy and seek out a sport surgeon like I did. Unles you have some other serious problem, knee replacements should work like the originals, only better, in time. Most PT utilizes cycling to strengthen muscles and keep the knees flexing to develop that good range of motion.

NOTE+++++ I do not ride a recumbent for a handicap. I think they get a bad rap and the younger folks look at them as handicap bike when othing could be farther from the truth. I ride for comfort, effeciency (the ergonomics of a TRUE recumbent are awesome) and contrary to some beliefs they are fast. And the downhills, OH MY GOD! A luge ride!

MJ

My Bikes
    Easyracers Ti-Rush, Tour Easy, Vision R-64 Sabre, Rans Screamer, Bike E CT, Trek R-200, HP Velotechnik SpeedMachine, Haluzak Horizon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Orthropod is a sports surgeon. He is also an avid cyclist (DF). After the second (2nd) knee replacement he was quite insistent on me becoming a "couch potato". I asked why and his response was "Replacement knees have only so many years of life so You want to take care of them". My response was that I was a recumbent rider and I was under the impression that cycling was beneficial for muscle development, etc. With this remark his attitude changed and agreed to my continuing with the cycling with a couple of exceptions. No banging up hills in 27th gear and no long rides (Ragbai). This past summer I was doing on average 30 miles daily. When I was going to PT my therapist was very positive about continuing my recumbent riding and besides I had set a personal goal to recover as quickly as possible because I had ordered my Ti-Rush in March and it was due to be delievered in June. (June 2nd). Besides riding on the road I ride a recumbent stationary and I do aerobics on a "Gazelle" exercise machine. Here is an image of me receiving my new Ti-Rush. The dog's name is "Max"
    Last edited by Dr. Duk; 01-02-05 at 11:51 PM.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My knees are fine (so far), but my back is so bad (degenerative discs) I don't think I could ride a df at all. I ride a Tsunami SWB with a high BB and USS and love it.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own two high-racers, a Volae Team and a Bacchetta Aero.

I got in to recumbents after a radical prostatectomy for cancer in May, 2003. The doctor banned me from uprights for at least 12 weeks, but allowed me on a bent after 6. I had ridden uprights for over 20 years and 120,000 miles but it only took me one season on a bent to become a total convert to bentdom.

I've now sold all of my uprights except my tandem which I still ride with my wife.

-Dennis
    Dennis T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 54 years old and ride a recumbent Catrike Road.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
    I own two high-racers, a Volae Team and a Bacchetta Aero.

I got in to recumbents after a radical prostatectomy for cancer in May, 2003. The doctor banned me from uprights for at least 12 weeks, but allowed me on a bent after 6. I had ridden uprights for over 20 years and 120,000 miles but it only took me one season on a bent to become a total convert to bentdom.

I've now sold all of my uprights except my tandem which I still ride with my wife.

-Dennis
    I was lucky and was back on the bike after 8 weeks after a radical. Only Recumbent I had a go on was a tandem, and boy was that comfortable, only about 3 miles but it scared the living daylights out of me. Didn't help that the owner who was on it with me, decided to show me how fast it could corner, so it came as quite a suprise to find that this trike-recumbent-tandem could use the conventional number of wheels if you took the corners fast enough

'Bent Brian
    My Bikes
    Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No major joint replacements here. I ride 'bent because all of the little aches and pains of an upwrong are gone. And it is fun too boot!

'bent Brian

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More power to you folks, but I tried a recumbant and its just not my style.
    Seems a sin (said in jest - no flames please) to ride anything in this position. Plus, I fear no one could see me. Rode a trek R600 for maybe 50 miles. Just didn't feel right.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be hitting 60 this month, in great health and no joint problems other than normal aches and pains; I have found bents to the the answer. No one ever said you had to be uncomfortable on a bike. Last year I did 2,800 miles (1,800 on a single and 1,000 on a tandem), plan to do 3,500 this year.

Stable currently consist of three Visions; R45 USS (1998), R40 USS (2002), & R85 OSS Double Vision (2003). Still have a no name mtn bike and my Specialized hybrid. Keep looking at tadpole trikes, bound to be one in the next couple of years (that Hellbent Spitfire sure is sharp).

Always looking to meet other bent riders.

John D
    Aging is required, maturity is optional

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 2.1, Electra Townie 21D, Fuji Saratoga 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride a recumbent because it's fun...also ride a road bike and mountain bike.
    The bike for you is the one you will ride!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiliDog
    I ride a recumbent because it's fun...
    It isn't just fun, it's a riot. At the risk of repeating myslf, I've ridden over 120,000 miles on uprights since 1982 including racing as a Cat. 2 through the 1980's retiring at 40. I've put a lot of hours in on road bikes, fixed gears, tandems, cross bikes, etc. but the recumbent has totally rejuvenated my cycling. I rode 6000+ miles this year on my bents which is the most miles I've ridden since 1996. My passion for cycling has been restored and I owe it all to bents.
    Dennis T

Banned.
    My Bikes
    specialized allez pro, giant tcr composite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fools

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride uprights. I have nothing against recumbents, although I would be nervous riding my friend's Zox in traffic, because it sits SO low. (It certainly is fast, though!)
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

lowracer ninja master lowracer1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm riding 4 different recumbents........have been for 4 years now. Thank God I discovered them before turning 50. I started riding when I was 32 years old. Sure wish I coulda had a tailfaired lowracer when I was 18 years old. Don't think lowracers existed back then though. To the guy who posted "fools"
    lol................ the jokes on him.

my latest recumbent......

http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForum...o&PhotoID=6996

heres a pic from the hilly hundred..........smoking past a few upwrongs.

http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForum...o&PhotoID=9361

that was the same bike but with the tailbox mounted.

http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForum...o&PhotoID=7408
    chris@promocycle.net

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
    It isn't just fun, it's a riot.
    Agreed. Without a doubt, the biggest surprise since I've started riding is just how much fun that bent really is. It makes you want to spend every minute you can spare on the bike.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No parts replacements, and no serious problems with any parts - yet! I got my first recumbent in '97, after doing DALMAC and having my palms hurt for two weeks. I decided I rode enough, I deserved to be comfortable doing it! My first bent was a V-Rex, and it delivered all the comfort I needed, plus it gave me a peek of the kind of speeds I'd never dared to think about before. In '01 I added an Optima Baron to my stable. That puppy is scarey-fast! This winter I've started on building my own design, carbon highracer, which I hope will be ready to ride by the time the snow goes away.

By the time I'm 50 in August, I hope to have a sub-4 hour century under my belt.

My Bikes
    Greenspeed GTO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I knees began to bitterly complain about running, I started to put more miles on my ATB. Numbness in hands and soreness in the hinterland mad me look at recumbents. I tried a Rans Stratus first. It is a great bike but not for road riding in the mountains. Then I bought a Greenspeed recumbent trike. With a wide gear range (internal hub gears, 3 chain rings and a cassette) it is perfect for spinning up the local canyons. The trike was probably the best fitness decision that I have made in years.

Gary Mc, Salt Lake City

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride a Sun EZ Sport. I switched when I got fed up with making constant adjustments to relieve this pain or that ache. Wrists, knees, low back, neck and shoulder promlems were a daily thing. No more, the bent solved all of them. bk

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd **like** to ride a 'bent, but my better half says "wait." Her wish is my command

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowracer1
    I'm riding 4 different recumbents........have been for 4 years now. Thank God I discovered them before turning 50. I started riding when I was 32 years old. Sure wish I coulda had a tailfaired lowracer when I was 18 years old. Don't think lowracers existed back then though. To the guy who posted "fools"
    lol................ the jokes on him.

my latest recumbent......

http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForum...o&PhotoID=6996

heres a pic from the hilly hundred..........smoking past a few upwrongs.

http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForum...o&PhotoID=9361

that was the same bike but with the tailbox mounted.

http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForum...o&PhotoID=7408

You're a very sick man !!! I eat dinner on a plate smaller than that chainring.

I had arthroscopic knee surgery Thursday, and the Doc will explain everything he did at the follow-up on Nov 2nd. I'm hoping therapy brings me back up to snuff. They thought it might be a torn meniscus, but he didn't do anything about the torn hamstring tendon yet.

I got this about a month ago. I need to change the stem, which it looks like the shop bent on purpose(demo model).

http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForum...&PhotoID=10950

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dchief.....question....how do you like your Lightning? How does it differ from a P-38?
    I rode a MWB bent for a while (Rans Tailwind)...did it take long to acclimate to having your cranks up that high? Any nervousness in traffic? How do you like riding crossover from DF to 'bent? Thanks, David.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    Dchief.....question....how do you like your Lightning? How does it differ from a P-38?
    I rode a MWB bent for a while (Rans Tailwind)...did it take long to acclimate to having your cranks up that high? Any nervousness in traffic? How do you like riding crossover from DF to 'bent? Thanks, David.
    Sorry, I put 2-3 miles on it before my knee surgery one week ago. It had the typical "twitchy" feeling on my first ride, but there were some moments where I relaxed and it was such a great feeling. The seat is pretty high, and when I stop I have to turn and put one leg over the side of the seat.I put my clipless pedals on it, and ended up having to start out by leaning on the fence next to the driveway. I discovered from e-mailing back and forth with Lightning that the handlebar stem was bent by somebody. It was a demo bike for a local small chain of shops. I'll be getting a new stem before riding it again, and the drop "V" bars, maybe the EVO bars. It doesn't feel quite as heavy as my son's Trek Sport 800 MTB, and rolls very smoothly. When the physical therapist and the doctor let me ride again, I plan to take it to an industrial area that has no Sunday traffic, and make loops on a .81 mile square with very wide roads.
    The components on the P-38 are better, the P-38 is lighter, and I think the frame design might be a bit better for climbing. I haven't been on one, though. I was actually thinking that if I like my Phantom, I might end up with a P-38 later. The thing is, right now Lightning doesn't have anyone to make the Thunderbolt and Phantom frames for them. The company that did stopped making them. The website says they are looking for someone else. The only dealers they list right now, are mostly in the L.A. area, and one(a "rep") in Sacramento. When my knee is better, I might make an appointment with the Sacramento rep. The decal for seat position is gone from the main tube under the seat. He'd be able to tweak my seat position for optimum power and comfort.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
    You're a very sick man !!! I eat dinner on a plate smaller than that chainring.
    I say, use the tool that does the job best. For me, that means a big chainring. (But don't get rid of the 30T bailout ring. )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast