Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT: Attention Stapfam and others across the pond on the potion of the island called

England

My wife does aquareobics with a lady from your part of the world who makes two claims:

1. Folks over 70 can not drive in England

2, In order to fly in an airplane, folks (over 70??) need a medical clearance, and her mother was denied one to fly to the big island on which I live because she had varicose veins.

True?
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not true.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To elaborate, one's driving licence expires at 70 and must be renewed every three years thereafter. But renewal is routine unless the applicant has some medical condition that would disqualify them from driving.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    To elaborate, one's driving licence expires at 70 and must be renewed every three years thereafter. But renewal is routine unless the applicant has some medical condition that would disqualify them from driving.
    This right but at 65 and 50,000miles a year for the past 40 years- I don't drive unless I have to.

On the over 70's Flying- Not come across this except for Holiday Insurance for travel. I have had a Bypass and Cancer. Both around 10 years ago and both clear now. But holiday insurance jumped from 32 last year to 205 this year. Just due to my Medical History and the fact that I am over 65.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Oh! That British Bloke .. ThatBritBloke's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank God he didn't mention the Death Panels ...
    Alan

Oh! That British Bloke ... in central New Jersey
    http://h-i-l-l.net/BikeBlog/BikesT.png
    ohthatbritishbloke.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatBritBloke View Post
    Thank God he didn't mention the Death Panels ...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Google shows that airlines in England can seemingly easily stop folks with certain conditions from flying.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    A Google shows that airlines in England can seemingly easily stop folks with certain conditions from flying.
    Well, of course they can. The main issue is whether a passenger has a pre-existing condition that could be exacerbated by flying and endanger the safety of the flight or the other passengers. And obviously airlines aren't keen on flying someone who is quite likely to experience a medical emergency and cause them to divert the flight.

But this isn't an age restriction. It will happen more with the very elderly because they are more likely to suffer from such conditions. But my mother, for example, took her last flight when she was 86, iirc.

Edit: KLM require a medical certificate from potential passengers who
    • Passengers who have a medical condition that could result in a life-threatening situation or could require the provision of exceptional medical care for their safety during the flight.

I'd be mildly surprised if all airlines didn't have some similar policy.
    Last edited by chasm54; 05-05-12 at 02:09 AM.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, of course they can. The main issue is whether a passenger has a pre-existing condition that could be exacerbated by flying and endanger the safety of the flight or the other passengers. And obviously airlines aren't keen on flying someone who is quite likely to experience a medical emergency and cause them to divert the flight.

But this isn't an age restriction. It will happen more with the very elderly because they are more likely to suffer from such conditions. But my mother, for example, took her last flight when she was 86, iirc.

• Passengers who have a medical condition that could result in a life-threatening situation or could require the provision of exceptional medical care for their safety during the flight.

As long as the airlines don't have strict requirements that travelers over 70 bring a medical release, such policies will only have an effect if you tell them you have such a limitation. But, if you are worried about it, they should be too.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Oh! That British Bloke .. ThatBritBloke's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently not just the UK : >>>

:-)
    Alan

Oh! That British Bloke ... in central New Jersey
    http://h-i-l-l.net/BikeBlog/BikesT.png
    ohthatbritishbloke.blogspot.com

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatBritBloke View Post
    Apparently not just the UK : >>>

:-)

BTW, farting does not produce an "odour", nor does it even produce an odor, although I appreciate old world sensitivities describing the putrefaction that may emit from the human intestines.

It all could have been prevented: http://www.flat-d.com/mefldepr.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This gets a bit sticky when, for example, my son, who is quadraplegic, travels on airplanes. The US of A has regulations:

"Carriers may not refuse transportation on the basis of disability. By law, US air carriers must comply with highly detailed regulations that affect people with disabilities. These do not cover foreign carriers serving the United States." Also note the Air Carrier Access Act.

http://www.disabilitytravel.com/airl...arrier_act.htm

My son travels tens of thousands of miles per year on US airlines - and it would be a travesty if he got to England and could not come home. Without federal regulations, so much is left to the interpretation of the airlines.

Obviously a sensitive subject for me.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    My son travels tens of thousands of miles per year on US airlines - and it would be a travesty if he got to England and could not come home. Without federal regulations, so much is left to the interpretation of the airlines.

Obviously a sensitive subject for me.
    This should not be a problem. The UK has an Equalities Act which has replaced, and incorporates the provisions of, the old Disability Discrimination Legislation. UK airlines (and others flying into and out of the UK) routinely carry people with disabilities. Obviously it is important to make the airline aware of the passenger's needs at the time of booking, but you will know much more about that than I.

A lot of effort has been made in recent years to ensure that service providers do not treat people with disabilities as "ill". I'd be surprised if your son met with any obstructiveness.

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 Over 70 Driving Licence application procedure http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022086
    A medical check is only needed to drive a heavy vehicle like a lorry or bus. The normal licence is only valid for 3 years.

2. We fly to the UK each year and we are in our 70s and have never been asked about our health. The airlines know our age because we all have to provide this information since 9/11

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artmo View Post
    1 Over 70 Driving Licence application procedure http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022086
    A medical check is only needed to drive a heavy vehicle like a lorry or bus. The normal licence is only valid for 3 years.

2. We fly to the UK each year and we are in our 70s and have never been asked about our health. The airlines know our age because we all have to provide this information since 9/11
    Thanks, all. My wife's friend seems very confused.