Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cinco de Maya, Brrrr (A short ride report)

After a full morning of digging the porch and yard furniture out of storage followed by a light lunch consisting of a serving of Peach flavored Yogurt and a bottle of Gatorade, it was finally time for a ride. I bid my dear bride goodbye, scratched the cat behind his ears, and made a bee-line for the garage. After a few moments of deliberation I opted to ride ‘Little Blue Bike’ today. You see, earlier in the morning I had been finishing up a little project on her and while she was in the repair stand I had pumped up the tires. Knowing that I wouldn’t need to pump them up now for the ride was enough to draw me to her. Not too lazy, am I?

Though I wore my denim shorts I still put a fleece over my t-shirt and a light cycling jacket over the fleece. It was 01:00pm and the temperature was only 49 degrees with the wind out of a northerly direction so there was little chance of it warming up much. More about that later.

From my house I headed south along Lake Avenue to the head of….yep; you guessed it, The Genesee River Trail. I was astounded that the trail was all but abandoned today. I saw four people over the entire three mile trail. It was sweet; just me, the trees, and the river. What a great way to start my first ride in ten days! Normally my first impulse would be to open it up and fly along this nice smooth empty trail, but today I felt blessed to just tool along at about twelve miles an hour and drink in the peace and tranquility. By the time I reached the mouth of the river at Lake Ontario I felt renewed and whole again.

As I cruised along in the park I couldn’t help but chuckle as I spied all these picnic tables bunching together as if to keep warm.

I know I’ve posted a similar picture in the past, but I just get a kick out it. O.K., a few paragraphs ago I mentioned I’d discuss why northerly winds in May mean cold temperatures. It’s because the air has traveled thirty five to forty mile across this…..

….393 cubic miles of 49 degree water!! Ladies and Gentleman, meet Lake Ontario. In early Winter it tempers the cold for its devoted shoreline area residents and in late Spring and early Summer in lessens the impact of the heat. Did you notice the winter coats? That 49 degree wind feels icy cold when as it rushes in off the lake.

I rode west along the shore for a few miles and then followed the detour south on Greenleaf Road. The bridge over Round Pond outlet is still being rebuilt. I’m excited about that. The bridge is just beyond the base of a nice 9% grade. Though it’s only about a fifty or sixty foot drop it’s enough to give me a thrilling launch, especially if I’m on one of the Long Wheel Base recumbents. The old bridge had a steel grated deck so I always felt the need to slow down before crossing it. The new bridge has a concrete deck. I was chatting with the construction crew the last time I rode in that area and they assured me that I’ll be able to take the bridge at speed. I’m stoked!!

From Greenleaf Road I took the Lake Ontario State Parkway trail west to Island Cottage Road and turned once more into the wind. Another mile west along the shore and it was time to wander homeward. Southward bound on busy Long Pond Road I crossed up over the Parkway and turned west to meander through a nice peaceful housing tract. Housing tracts are fun. Lotsa kids are out playing, mothers are out gardening, and fathers are cutting the lawn or washing the car. People wave or say hello and sometimes an adventurous youngster on his bike starts racing alongside me. They are always so proud when they win. He he.

A quick jaunt east on Janes Road brought me to the Interstate 390 bicycle trail. I took it south towards Rt. 104 and noticed that I was getting warmer. By the time I reached Basil A. Marcella Park I was glad that I had my panniers on the bike. It was finally time to lose the fleece and cycling jacket. The rest of the trip up the trail went smoothly enough but when I reached Rt. 104 I was a bit disappointed. The afternoon was almost gone, my tummy was grumbling, and it was only five miles to home….bummer, the ride is almost over. Trust me, it was more fun riding it than it was reading my post about it. You’d have been bummed too!!

Total ride distance….28 miles
    Average speed…..I haven’t a clue
    Ride time….um, a while.
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 05-05-12 at 05:34 PM.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ride Lenny. Thanks for posting. Those tables will be placed out soon.
    I went out about 2PM today, I felt that same cold wind and went back and but on a second layer. Today I took out the Tarmac - it was a day to climb.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice report. 49 degrees? Man! It was within three degees of double that when I rode this afternoon.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    WTH is Cinco de Maya?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    WTH is Cinco de Maya?
    A typo. Once it was posted I couldn't fix it.

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    A typo. Once it was posted I couldn't fix it.

Ah! These forums have some tough title typing rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw 24 baby geese at the base of the O'rorke bridge around 4pm. Saw something on TV at Sullivan restaurant on ridge rd showing kite flying at the beach. Did you see anything? Was dead when I rode through.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are getting the "Occasional" day when riding will be in good weather but our problem is Rain. Not only the rain- cloud cover means very little Sun to raise the temperature and there seems to be a continual wind that keeps temps down. Still doing 4 layer rides and still want extra on some rides.

But if you want to ride- then you you will ride. I know you have been riding in worse weather than this so this is probably one of your Spring days that promise what is to come. Hope it is and when you get some surplus warmth over there- Think of us back in the Homeland and send it across to us---along with a great big sponge to soak up the moisture that our drought has bought us in April.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
    I saw 24 baby geese at the base of the O'rorke bridge around 4pm. Saw something on TV at Sullivan restaurant on ridge rd showing kite flying at the beach. Did you see anything? Was dead when I rode through.
    I saw a whole bunch of goslings under the bridge right along the trails edge. I didn't stop to observe as their 'baby sitter' was throwing a hissy fit at me, literally!

The annual Kite Flight was today. You missed a whole lot of trying and very little flying. When I got to the park and saw what was going on I remembered your comment in this thread so, 'cause I like you I took a couple pics for you to ponder....

Like I said, you didn't miss much.

Well....I did make an older lady laugh pretty hard. Her lady friend was quizzing me about the comfort benefits of riding my Tour Easy. When she got to the visibility issue that so many folks bring up I asked her if she's ever driven over a dead skunk. Of course her response was that she goes around them. When I remarked that I'm way bigger than a skunk her friend laughed so hard I was afraid she was going to fall off her chair.

You certainly didn't miss much.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lenny,

You must be feeling a lot better - so glad!

Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post

Well....I did make an older lady laugh pretty hard. Her lady friend was quizzing me about the comfort benefits of riding my Tour Easy. When she got to the visibility issue that so many folks bring up I asked her if she's ever driven over a dead skunk. Of course her response was that she goes around them. When I remarked that I'm way bigger than a skunk her friend laughed so hard I was afraid she was going to fall off her chair.
    Did you mention the smell?
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lenny, I decided to head south and rode down the Genesee trail south to 390 into Pittsford stopped at Towpath Bike and back up East Ave to get back to Irondequoit. It was 15 degrees warmer south of Ridge road!! I had a nice 3 hour 26 mile trip with 3 bike shop visits and lunch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was down there again today via Seabreeze. There was a few more folks around , little to see. The swans are in charge on Irondequoit bay, 40 by the boat launch. The baby sitters must have moved the goslings. Didn't see them today. There were four deer in the usual spot in the cemetery. That's for the pictures.