Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have your goals changed?

Last spring I was busy training for a very strenuous race, I exceeded my goals. This season is totally different - my goals are different. This year I started the season with 10 more lbs than last year at this time (a total winter gain of 20 lbs) but I feel better. I am slower on the bike, who cares? I have been doing interval training with my friend, we have trained together for the past 4 years. He is training for another race, I am going through the motions, being there to help motivate him - I am training for nothing. What a liberating feeling to no longer be slave to the bike or the training schedule.

Have your goals changed, are they more or less competitive? How have you matured as a cyclist?
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Have your goals changed, are they more or less competitive? How have you matured as a cyclist?
    Definitely less competitive. Matured as a cyclist? I'm not sure what that means. If you equate lazy with more mature I'm there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Approaching 73. A LOT of changes in my goals and body. My trigeminal neuralgia has reappeared, requiring medications that seems to slow me down. Left hip is more painful, and hard riding aggravatess it. That is on my "to do" list, after the cataract surgery Tuesday. My right achilles tendon is killing me. I don't know if riding aggravates it or not. Hard to do stairs. We spend a LOT of time trying to find solutions to my wife's continuing and never-ending post herpetic neuralgia intense pain (7 years now).

So, I ride slower (a lot), take shorter rides, do a lot of swimming which does not seem to aggravate anything, do a lot of careful weight lifting - which, the way I do it, also does not aggravate anything, and a lot of stretching, which seems to help.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-05-12 at 09:02 PM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Igo
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started riding again a year ago and I've jumped all in it but my goal is a little cardio and sun on my face. I ride everyday and do more and more miles all the time but my goal is to do as I see fit for that moment and I'm ecstatic about bike riding now.
    Road Bike: Trek 2.1 Apex
    SPD Pedals
    Continental Gatorskin tires
    Kool Stop brake pads

Hybrid/Commuter: Giant Escape 1
    Panaracer 28c T-Serv tires
    Ergon GP2-L Grips
    Serfas Lycra Dual Density Saddle
    Eleven81 BMX Pedals
    Kool Stop brake pads
    Planet Bike Blaze 2W front light
    Planet Bike Superflash Stealth rear light
    Topeak Explorer MTX Rack
    Topeak MTX Trunk Bag EX
    Topeak MTX TrunkBag DXP with Expandable Side Panniers
    Topeak Aero Expanding Wedge - Medium
    Garmin GPSMap 60CSx

My Bikes
    Trek 610, Cannondale Bad Boy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wanting to to an Olympic distance triathlon. The younger guys are shooting for a time, I'm just trying to get six running miles out of my knees.

I've always been slow, so that's prevented me from ever being overly competitive.
    Only mad dogs, Englishmen, and triathletes go out in the mid day sun.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year we put two road bikes and two track bikes in SoCal so that we could fly done and race track at the Velo Sports Center and have road bikes for local outdoor riding. My focus has shifted from road racing to track racing with the majority of it in SoCal. I do shorter road time trials, train and race at the track (special races such at the 500 meters, 2K pursuit and team events) in NorCal. Focus on track has shifted my training to peak later in the season to coincide with special events and work on shorter, harder efforts.

What I have learned in the last 3 years of very serious racing is that I cannot do it all. What I mean by that is; start racing road in January and finish my season at track worlds in October. I have about 6 good months where I can maintain race fitness and then I have to take a break and recover. Plus, I learned that I am much more competitive on the short bursty efforts. What I mean by that is I am not quite a pure sprinter but I have excellent anaerobic capacity and explosive power.

For me maturing as a cyclist is knowing myself. I know what I can do and how hard and how often I can do it. I can now sharpen my goals and see them more clearly and attack with greater emphasis. Plus racing in SoCal has created the opportunity to make new friends and learn to race on the 250 meter indoor wooden track providing more challenging racing.

Am I more competitive? res ipsa loquitur
    Last edited by Hermes; 05-05-12 at 10:02 PM.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    CAAD 10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    My goals have changed somewhat. My newest goal is to do a TT in June. I've never raced before. I'm more competitive, even if that's only with the guy that yesterday was a day younger than I am today. Being new to cycling, in this phase of my life anyway, I'm progressing more quickly than I thought I would have. I've matured as a cyclist in that I've gotten stronger, I'm learning how to handle a bike and follow a wheel, and I'm learning how to manage my resources.
    IMO, FWIW, CFM, YMMV, E PLURIBUS UNUM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My goals are definately different from the past.

I've never been competitive, well other than the occasional spur of the moment bicycle drag race. So there is no change there. Have I matured as a cyclist? If matured means improved bike handling skills or better performance, then the answer would be no. But if matured as a cyclist means, have I who am a cyclist matured as a person regarding my cycling habits...then I believe I have.

I used to ride mainly for recreational purposes with a fair amount of commuting back and forth to the job and to run the occasional erand. The commuting and errand runs were simply to help satisfy my insatiable need to ride my bikes. My bikes now help me to not purchase gasoline. I've commuted every workday since February 9th with the exception of last week, for the sole purpose of reducing the household fuel usage.

Last year we purchased 553.87 gallons of gasoline to run our three vehicles and lawn mower. So far this year we have purchased 119.92 gallons. It looks like the bikes could help save me some money at the pumps. Of course biking in place of driving would be totally fruitless at saving gasoline usage if we didn't also use our vehicles frugally.

So my primary goal used to be to ride for fun. Now my primary goal is to use the bikes as serious money saving tools of transport, that I can also take recretional rides with for free.
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 05-05-12 at 09:56 PM.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a medical problem in 1999 and up till then I was fit. Just getting over it and back in training- although mentally not pushing as hard and another problem came in that hit me harder mentally. Back on the bike by the end of the year but not back to pushing hard. Middle of the year and I knew things were not right so talked to the Co- Rider on the Tandem and we agreed to attempt a hard ride I had last done in 1997. It was going to be hard and it was going to be Kill or Cure time. 6 months to get fit enough for the hardest ride I had ever done in my life. Lots of training and in 2003 and we did it. Not only that year- we did it in 04-05 and eventually age and weather caught up with us in 06 and we failed. Now don't get me wrong- this was a hard ride.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ns-Way-failure

But after that failure both of us realised there was more to life than training hard for 9 months of the year. Stuart had a University degree to gain for his work and I needed a rest. It was that year we both finished up going Road for an easier time. So that was the first major change in my cycling attitude. Road gave me a different aspect to my riding but with different style- different fitness required and different goals.

Then last year I had yet another change in attitude and Targets to hit. I only had another year of work to do so plenty to keep me off the bike to prepare for retirement. Lost fitness but I am now retired. Now the hard work begins. Busier than I ever was at work but I can find time for cycling. Have a couple of rides planned for this month and at my level of fitness I have a lot of riding to do. Getting fitter but I no longer have the aim to get "Ultra" fit to keep riding. Providing I can enjoy the riding and get up that next hill- then I am happy.
    Last edited by stapfam; 05-06-12 at 12:43 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have my goals changed? I suppose so, though for much of my cycling life I couldn't be said to have had "goals" exactly. I rode for transportation, principally to commute, and for recreation. The associated benefits of fitness etc. were just that, associated benefits rather than goals.

On returning to the bike after a longish absence the goal was certainly to get fit again. That accomplished (to a degree, anyway) I started doing some endurance events and got back into touring. No specific goals, beyond those that were curiosity-driven. I did set myself one goal, namely that when I quit work I'd ride across Canada. In the event I decided that the long (very long) flat bit in the middle would be terminally dull, so I did a big loop round Eastern Canada and New England, instead.

And this year I have started racing, after a lifetime of riding non-competitively. Again, largely curiosity-driven. I wanted the experience, and now that I have time to train properly, I'd like to see what potential is still there to fulfil. I appear to be on the reverse trajectory to most, starting out relaxed and ending up racing. But the real goal, as always, is well-being. The bikes are a major contributor to my mental health. Whether I am going hard or taking it easy, I love riding them.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post

So, I ride slower (a lot), take shorter rides, do a lot of swimming which does not seem to aggravate anything, do a lot of careful weight lifting - which, the way I do it, also does not aggravate anything, and a lot of stretching, which seems to help.
    It's tough to hear of the trials you have been through but on the other hand it is rewarding to hear how determined you have been about it. Others might have rolled over and given up long ago. Admirable!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My goals have changed for sure. When our daughter was younger, I was able to get away for the training and events to put in as much time and effort as I could. Now, I choose to spend more time with her and don't devote myself to max fitness. As she told me this week, in 6 years she is off to college. I still ride most of the events but I'm just getting through them because the training hours aren't there. It's a tradeoff I'm happy to make. Next weekend is another fun local ride event but I'll be doing a photoshoot at her gym for a newspaper story. I get one go around with her and I don't want to miss it.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    trek 460 road racer
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I wanted to knock the Century Ride off the bucket list. After that it was like being a guided missile searching to reacquire a new target. It felt good being off the training routine, just having fun with no schedule.

This year I'd like to work on hills and cruising speeds. I was a sprinter in high school, love anything fast, high capacity for strength oriented physical workouts (was a competing powerlifter). I'm aiming to blaze up the 20, 30, 40mile rides.

So far, there is just one event this summer that is on my schedule. Our town hosts the northern Michigan Bikers For Breast Cancer, June 16. I just want to be in shape to enjoy a good ride. As you can see, it doesnt take much to inspire me.....and it's a good cause. Out of the 20, 42 and 60mile rides I'm doing the 42. Very hilly and lot's of fun. It's local and it's a new route for me to perhaps have fun with later on in the summer.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I left the "maturity" question open to see how people might respond. Several thoughts I think hit around how I feel about that. As with most things, it can take years of experiences and sometimes you still don't get there. That real maturity level comes when we have found what works best for us and are comfortable with it. As an example, Hermes has found his sweet spot at the track - it does not mean one is not competitive or doesn't work hard but I think it is that inner confidence to know what works for you.

It is good to hear from so many of you again, it's been a great year with lots of new non-cycling adventures for us and so many good things that have been happening up here in the Adirondacks.

My Bikes
    CAAD 10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    The bikes are a major contributor to my mental health. Whether I am going hard or taking it easy, I love riding them.
    Yep..
    IMO, FWIW, CFM, YMMV, E PLURIBUS UNUM

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    Last year I wanted to knock the Century Ride off the bucket list. After that it was like being a guided missile searching to reacquire a new target. It felt good being off the training routine, just having fun with no schedule.

This year I'd like to work on hills and cruising speeds. I was a sprinter in high school, love anything fast, high capacity to strength oriented physical workouts (was a competing powerlifter). I'm aiming to blaze up the 20, 30, 40mile rides.

So far, there is just one event this summer that is on my schedule. Our town hosts the northern Michigan Bikers For Breast Cancer, June 16. I just want to be in shape to enjoy a good ride. As you can see, it doesnt take much to inspire me.....and it's a good cause. Out of the 20, 42 and 60mile rides I'm doing the 42. Very hilly and lot's of fun. It's local and it's a new route for me to perhaps have fun with later on in the summer.
    I really enjoy climbing, both on the bike and on foot. The vista at the top is the reward not to mention the total body fatigue at the end. Keep at it, it makes everything else seem easy.
    Last edited by cyclinfool; 05-06-12 at 06:27 AM.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My cycling has had several stages, each with its own value;

Stage 1) I cycled to lose weight, get outdoors and reduce my automobile use.
    Stage 2) I rode 5000 miles in a calendar year
    Stage 3) I rode on a regular basis with the goal of completing a 100 mile and 200 Km endurance rides.
    Stage 4) I rode with the goal of completing a hilly century ride
    Stage 5) I rode with the goal of completing a 6-hour solo century ride.

My long term goals include cycling and touring in Europe and to avoid any declines in fitness.
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber Cyclocross bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike for severe duty
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road racing bike

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    My goals have changed for sure. When our daughter was younger, I was able to get away for the training and events to put in as much time and effort as I could. Now, I choose to spend more time with her and don't devote myself to max fitness. As she told me this week, in 6 years she is off to college. I still ride most of the events but I'm just getting through them because the training hours aren't there. It's a tradeoff I'm happy to make. Next weekend is another fun local ride event but I'll be doing a photoshoot at her gym for a newspaper story. I get one go around with her and I don't want to miss it.
    +1 on that - you and I are in very much the same place, I have a 6th grader and we are having a blast together. She announced to me last week she wants to enter a Triathlon this summer, I have located one in the area for kids and so we are starting to work on putting that together.

Yesterday I got a note from a cycling friend to come climb Greylock with him, a 4 hour time commitment for me. I said no, I was fixing a bike for my daughter to start training with - that's another story of how two kids MTBs showed up in my yard. She can't use her road bike for the Tri as part of the bike segment is over trails.

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was never a "serious" cyclist and took up cycling four years ago in my early 60's after 20+ years' absence. My wife and I are doing 100K and some of the easier 100mi organized rides on our tandem so our goal is to just keep riding. My own bucket list includes a single 200K later this year and maybe a double Century within a year; finishing the 200mi would be great.

I was at one time a serious runner, back before we had quite so much science. I was racing 10K, keeping a log and working very hard to get faster. Then I starting running with three other guys virtually every day and at some point I stopped keeping a log of every move and started enjoying running. Our long runs were 18-24 miles so I began running marathons, but never quite got to my 2:37 goal; in fact I didn't race much since the racing (taper and recovery) took away from my nearly daily runs which I enjoyed so much. Then I moved, didn't have a group to run with and the slide into sloth began.

I'm just very pleased to be doing something physical again, feeling good and looking forward to many miles on both the tandem and single. I just wish work hadn't gotten interesting again to I could retire.
    Last edited by rdtompki; 05-06-12 at 06:31 AM. Reason: typos
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    Similar chapters here, different story. Suffice it to say that raising two 16 y/o adopted daughters has become more of a challenge than I anticipated. It requires that training and away time are sacrificed for their ultimate benefit. Those are the choices that we make when we decide to become parents. In a perfect world I'd have the time and ability to do both concurrently, but "it ain't a perfect world..."

Man of constant sorrow Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is a marvelous thread.

I could wax philosophic about the subject, and maybe I will later in the day. I'll limit it for now to how quickly one's landscape can change.

Early this year I set my modest goals as 1) conquer the Redbud Ride 2) RAIN 3) maybe a P-12 4) a Gran Fondo somewhere, maybe the new one out of Ohio, and last but not least, 5) PBP 2015.

On the day before the Redbud Ride I was in my cardiologist's office hearing that the days of my "competitive" riding were over and I should only ride for fun and enjoyment.

Fun and enjoyment? Can you imagine? Joe Friel would disapprove, I think. No goals? Just do this for fun? Have you gone mad?

I'm still coming to grips with what this all means, and in the context of One's Life it gets tricky.

Maybe later. Very good thread.
    Possunt quia posse videntur. St. Dudel: Epic is stupid that you get away with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my case my goals were changed for me by spine trauma last year. My goal (singular) now is just to recover from multiple surgeries and be able to ride. I have reason to be hopeful. But, nothing is sure until it is done.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PAlt View Post
    Similar chapters here, different story. Suffice it to say that raising two 16 y/o adopted daughters has become more of a challenge than I anticipated. It requires that training and away time are sacrificed for their ultimate benefit. Those are the choices that we make when we decide to become parents. In a perfect world I'd have the time and ability to do both concurrently, but "it ain't a perfect world..."
    I launched one girl this year, she turns 30 this year but she just moved out of the house, 7 years to get through college, a few zigs and zags, she finally made it as an BS RN and stayed at home for a few years to work down those awful student loans (what a scam). Now my total focus is on my 12 YO, we enjoy many of the same things. Not cycling related - but this is what we are working on together: http://46-high-peaks.blogspot.com/

Igo
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She is a lovely young lady. Pleasant face.
    I too am a peak bagger/hiker/climber/ackpacker....more so than bikes even.

http://www.summitpost.org/image_list/igo/39275
    Road Bike: Trek 2.1 Apex
    SPD Pedals
    Continental Gatorskin tires
    Kool Stop brake pads

Hybrid/Commuter: Giant Escape 1
    Panaracer 28c T-Serv tires
    Ergon GP2-L Grips
    Serfas Lycra Dual Density Saddle
    Eleven81 BMX Pedals
    Kool Stop brake pads
    Planet Bike Blaze 2W front light
    Planet Bike Superflash Stealth rear light
    Topeak Explorer MTX Rack
    Topeak MTX Trunk Bag EX
    Topeak MTX TrunkBag DXP with Expandable Side Panniers
    Topeak Aero Expanding Wedge - Medium
    Garmin GPSMap 60CSx

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having just returned from my father-in-law's funeral and his unexpected passing, I can say, "yes". Spending time with family members will not take a back seat to making sure I "get my ride in". I'll ride when I can and not worry about total yearly mileage.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast