Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a physical last week

For the first time ever, at 57 years old, I've had less than a stellar physical. My blood pressure is up, my cholesterol is high and my blood sugar was high. 2 years ago my blood pressure was borderline high, but everything else was fine.

My doctor's prescription? Eat less red meat and cheese, cut the salt, lose weight, and RIDE LOTS! She didn't want to prescribe anything else for another few months to see if riding brings it under control. I went straight to the bike shop from the office and bought a new pair of shoes and cleats that I've needed for a year now, but didn't buy because I wasn't riding enough.

I now have a doctor's note to go ride when I want.
    Last edited by zacster; 05-06-12 at 07:15 PM.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Over 3000 posts and you're nor riding? Que pasa amigo?

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacster View Post
    For the first time ever, at 57 years old, I've had less than a stellar physical. My blood pressure is up, my cholesterol is high and my blood sugar was high.
    She didn't say anything about high glycemic index carbs? Eliminating soda, white bread, muffins, anything sweetened could be huge.

2 years ago my blood pressure was borderline high, but everything else was fine.

My doctor's prescription? Eat less red meat and cheese, cut the salt, lose weight, and RIDE LOTS! She didn't want to prescribe anything else for another few months to see if riding brings it under control. I went straight to the bike shop from the office and bought a new pair of shoes and cleats that I've needed for a year now, but didn't buy because I wasn't riding enough.

The more the better! At age 66 My HDL is higher than it has been in twenty years, blood pressure down, triglycerides down, blood sugar good, etc. etc. I try to ride 100 miles/week. Cut down on carbs drastically. I don't worry about eating animal fats, but do look for quality grass fed organic meats.

Don in Austin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my annual check up last week. Cholesterol and blood sugar are still in great shape, and the blood pressure is still high. I'm still on an ACE inhibitor and a diuretic. They keep things where they ought to be. I believe the blood pressure deal may be genetic. My dad had high BP and my mom (96) has high BP as well as one of my brothers. I've been riding a good bit this year with the favorable weather thus far. My doc, a young punk road cyclist, is all for my riding addiction.

Go out and ride, and put some oat bran and flax in your morning oat meal. Seems to work well for me.

Wonder if your doc could write a prescription for a new Cannondale?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
    She didn't say anything about high glycemic index carbs? Eliminating soda, white bread, muffins, anything sweetened could be huge.

Don in Austin
    I'm not big on sweets in the first place, and never drink sugared soda (but I do drink diet soda), and never use white bread. I have an occasional chocolate but mostly avoid those too.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Over 3000 posts and you're nor riding? Que pasa amigo?
    Been on the boards for almost 8 years now. I didn't ride much last year due to time issues, but I've been trying to ride more this year. The more I ride the more I post. I pretty much stopped the posting over the last year.

Maybe it's the other way around, you have 1300 posts since October. That's a lot more posting on average than I do even when I'm frequenting the boards.
    Last edited by zacster; 05-06-12 at 11:02 PM.

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not big on sweets in the first place, and never drink sugared soda (but I do drink diet soda), and never use white bread. I have an occasional chocolate but mostly avoid those too.
    That all sounds good. Chocolate is a health food IMHO if it is high percent cocoa and low sugar.

Don in Austin

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Been on the boards for almost 8 years now. I didn't ride much last year due to time issues, but I've been trying to ride more this year. The more I ride the more I post. I pretty much stopped the posting over the last year.

Maybe it's the other way around, you have 1300 posts since October. That's a lot more posting on average than I do even when I'm frequenting the boards.
    Just wondering about your own circumstances. It wasn't meant to be the opening salvo of a flame war. Later.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, when I started riding 2 1/2 years ago at age 63, my triglycerides were elevated, LDL was high, HDL was low and my doctor was getting ready to put me on cholesterol medication along with the blood pressure medication I was already taking. Since I started riding, I have quit drinking carbonated beverages, quit eating at fast food places, portion my meals better, ride 30-45 miles a day and have lost 30 pounds. This past November, I went for my annual physical and my overall cholesterol was was 155, triglycerides were 103 (ideal < 200), LDL was 90 (ideal < 130) and the HDL was 48 (ideal > 40). I was taken off of my blood pressure medication about a year ago and I haven't felt better since I was in my late 30's when I was involved in martial arts. I'm not on a diet and eat pretty much anything I want, I just don't eat as much of it as I used to.

Last Wednesday, I went to my hematologist for my quarterly visit to see how my leukemia is doing. He and his wife are addicted cyclist and when I told him how many miles I have put on my bike this year, his face lit up like a Christmas tree. The riding is definitely helping the medication that I am taking in keeping the leukemia in check.

I would go with what your doctor is suggesting and RIDE LOTS. Besides, you DO have a prescription for it.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the first time ever, at 57 years old, I've had less than a stellar physical. My blood pressure is up, my cholesterol is high and my blood sugar was high. 2 years ago my blood pressure was borderline high, but everything else was fine.

I feel for you. Though I've never had cholesterol or sugar issues I do have blood pressure issues. In fact my most recent cholesterol reading, my highest ever was 134 with a ratio of 3.7; HDL 36, LDL 83, triglycerides 77. My glucose reading came in at 90. Since I eat and drink whatever I please I suspect that genetics are my friend here.

My blood pressure however is high and I've been overweight and on medication and for the past several years. I have just recently gotten serious about weight loss and assuming that I successfully loose an appropriate amount of weight I'm anxious to see if the blood pressure drops.

My poor bride, on the other hand, suffers from diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and M.S. The poor girl is a walking talking drug experiment as she is currently taking medications that are keeping all of her ailments under control. She's very cognizant of the various side effects of all these drugs and has had to change medications a few times to find the proper mix for her.

So do follow your doctor's advice and try to stay off the meds if at all posible. Every medication we take takes its toll on our bodies as it performs its primary task.

Good luck on your life style adjustment and here's hoping your next doctor visit has rewardingly good results.