Thread: Strava Question

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strava Question

To break into the top 10 (or 9) on a given climb do you have to beat the KOM guy? I'm running near 7th on a local climb but nothing is registering on the logged course after two attempts.

Thanx!
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Lynskey Helix, Serotta Fierta IT, Torelli, Raleigh Carbon Revenio 3.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you beat the guy with the KOM then you would be in first. Not sure what you mean by nothing is registering on logged course.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruin11 View Post
    If you beat the guy with the KOM then you would be in first. Not sure what you mean by nothing is registering on logged course.
    I am beating the bottom two times and my name still isnt showing up. Not sure if this is due to my not finding a "missing" enter ride button or if I had to beat the top guy. My name is not on the list and it should be.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sometimes takes the system a few hours to completely register all aspects of the ride. Also, if your ride is marked private, your name won't appear in any of those segments.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You have to beat your own best time for a new ride to show up in the rankings.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    You have to beat your own best time for a new ride to show up in the rankings.
    So I need a "backup" pass (drag race lingo)?

VanceMac, I'll check the privacy setting and see where it is. It's on default whatever that is because I've not touched it.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your ride is marked "private", it won't show on the list. Edit--like VanceMac said.

I was KOM on two hills...sortof obscure steep hills that I posted! But now, there's one other rider, KOM of course, on each hill. Do they go prospecting for single rider hills?
    Last edited by rm -rf; 05-07-12 at 08:41 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something weird is going on. I was a KOM for awhile until someone finally did better. So, then I was second for several months. Last week, when I looked at that segment from another rider, it showed me as seventh! All my fast times were gone! The rides are still there, but the segment no longer shows up in the summary page. It's discouraging. But, to look on the bright side, I don't fret so much over segment times and instead concentrate on having a good, productive ride. If I do well, then fine. But, I fully expect any outstanding times to vanish into cyberspace eventually.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
    If your ride is marked "private", it won't show on the list. Edit--like VanceMac said.

I was KOM on two hills...sortof obscure steep hills that I posted! But now, there's one other rider, KOM of course, on each hill. Do they go prospecting for single rider hills?
    It isnt marked private. The default is "public".

I'll hit the hill again soon enough and get better at it since it's my new favorite 10mi "hill attack" run for mid-week workouts.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post

Yes, there are some folk who go llooking for segments to ride. As Strava becomes more popular, the segments become more competitive. My goal for many segments is not to be DFL.