Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speedplay Light Action Pedals

Just purchased & used for the 1st time today. Having trouble clicking in on the side I use to click in n' out. No problem clicking out just in. Okay to get in on the other side. Maybe I'll have to change the cleat position?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcd2010 View Post
    Just purchased & used for the 1st time today. Having trouble clicking in on the side I use to click in n' out. No problem clicking out just in. Okay to get in on the other side. Maybe I'll have to change the cleat position?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Spray furnature polish on the cleat. But new speed plays take a bit to get used to. But even without the furnature polish trick they will be fine in a week. I know it sounds stupid but it works.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know on the older speedplays they recommend using only white lightening lubricant on the pedal to help entry.
    I always do this after I clean the bike.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use teflon lube on my Zeros

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought some Light Action pedals in March.
    I agree it is slightly difficult to get clipped in. It will get easier as the metal spring in the cleat gets the sharp edge worn down a little.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you have the screws that hold the cleats to the shoe tightened correctly. If they are over-tightened, even a little, it makes it harder to get the cleat engaged.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its possible that clipping in is about the way you angle your foot when pressing down. Try practicing this move when not riding but just at home at a stationery position. I first search for the position with my foot without pressing down, then I would press down to feel the click. If I press down and it doesn't click easily, then I know that I need to re-position the foot. I have found that its the inside of the foot that needed the attention.

The other thing is the lube and the tightness of the set screws. At Home Depot they have this non petroleum spray that's silicone. Its where the garage door sprays are located. Use that. The other thing is the set screws. Just un-tightening them just a little bit makes a big difference.

For daily maintenance, I hardly use the silicone spray. I remove the dirt and grime accumulation on those cleats by using the park tools type brush used to clean the rear cassette. If I do that after every ride, it's a proactive way to prevent build-up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your reply. Just not sure about "tightened correctly". Maybe I'll just take them to my LBS & have someone check it out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcd2010 View Post
    Thank you for your reply. Just not sure about "tightened correctly". Maybe I'll just take them to my LBS & have someone check it out.
    People tend to over tighten the mounting screws. The literature that should have come with the pedals should explain the correct method.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When people overtighten the screws on the cleats without benefit of proper shims it can introduce a little bit of curvature to the cleat that was never intended, making it hard to engage the pedal. I've actually had it happen on early generation Looks, too.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use silicone spray on my cleats and have for years. I think any kind of lube works OK, the idea of course is not to attract dirt that an oil would. There is a break in period with new cleats.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    I use silicone spray on my cleats and have for years. I think any kind of lube works OK, the idea of course is not to attract dirt that an oil would. There is a break in period with new cleats.
    I like that idea best, but in the past I've used Tri-flow, Finish Line Dry, Finish Line Wet, and Pro-link Gold. And I know one woman who uses Pam cooking spray.