Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 90
  1. #1
    Senior Member teachme's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Posts
    1,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Has cycling tempted you to start running?

    Since I started cycling a year ago I have lost 30 lbs and achieved a higher level of fitness. With this new-found fitness level I have begun to try to jog/run. I find that the running is beating myself up. My knees hurt, my back hurts etc... I've got to learn to just stay on the bike! Anyone else ever go through this? I'll be 55 years old this summer, and I am really feeling it.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

    Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

  2. #2
    Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Antioch, CA (SF Bay Area)
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Posts
    6,532
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh god, no. Never. Not at all.

    Unless it involves chasing a ball.

    But running. That's just wrong.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com —— Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

  3. #3
    Free Velo Vol! Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,201
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No.

  4. #4
    Señor Blues on the path's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    upstate NY
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10
    Posts
    784
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way
    IMO, FWIW, CFM, YMMV, E PLURIBUS UNUM

  5. #5
    Senior Member az_cyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Posts
    1,577
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cycling, no... but being fit and wanting to maintain that, yes. I dont like doing a training ride in the dark, so most of the year I run on Tues, Wed, and Thurs before work.

  6. #6
    Senior Member teachme's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Posts
    1,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha! Looks like I've touched a nerve here. I agree with you guys! Why would anyone in their right mind want to run when you can ride? But, I guess I'm not always in my right mind, or sometimes I don't have time to go for 20 miler on the bike but jogging a 5K is within time restraints. But, then I pay for it with the nagging pain that running brings on. Still I love it when I'm loose and running.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

    Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

  7. #7
    Senior Member teachme's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Posts
    1,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by az_cyclist View Post
    cycling, no... but being fit and wanting to maintain that, yes. I dont like doing a training ride in the dark, so most of the year I run on Tues, Wed, and Thurs before work.
    How do you keep the pain away?
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

    Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

  8. #8
    Senior Member guybierhaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oley, PA
    My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Posts
    878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not so sure I could run if I was crazy enough to try it. When playing with the grand kids I kind of shuffle. Anyway as you discovered who would want to.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

  9. #9
    Starting over CraigB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Posts
    4,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started running a little over a year ago, but it was more out of curiousity to see if I could do it than anything else. Cycling has had nothing to do with it. In fact, the amount of time I prefer to be out riding is interfering with time for running, so you could say I started running in spite of cycling.
    Craig in Indy

  10. #10
    Senior Member teachme's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Posts
    1,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really interested in any training techniques, nutrition, stretching etc... of people in the 50+ cycling group who do both; cycle and run. My goal is to keep jogging into my 60's and then if possible even my 70's.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

    Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

  11. #11
    Elite Rider Hermes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    8,177
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this a trick question. No.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

  12. #12
    Senior Member teachme's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Posts
    1,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    I started running a little over a year ago, but it was more out of curiousity to see if I could do it than anything else. Cycling has had nothing to do with it. In fact, the amount of time I prefer to be out riding is interfering with time for running, so you could say I started running in spite of cycling.
    Yes, I know what you mean... I also started running because my weight loss rate has plateaued with cycling. Running combined with cycling renders a more efficient way of increasing my metabolism to achieve the weight loss. I've lost 30 through cycling... That came off easy within the first few months. Iwant to lose 25 more but its being very stubborn. I feel like I can reach my goal If I can keep running and cycling but avoid the injurys that running brings on.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

    Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

  13. #13
    Elite Rider Hermes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    8,177
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post
    I'm really interested in any training techniques, nutrition, stretching etc... of people in the 50+ cycling group who do both; cycle and run. My goal is to keep jogging into my 60's and then if possible even my 70's.
    Why not 80s 90s or 100s?
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

  14. #14
    Starting over CraigB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Posts
    4,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really have any training tips other than to say I run at a sustainable pace (for me, that's only about a 10:45 mile) for 2.5-3 miles at a time, with quarter-mile walks before and after, and I do it at least once a week, twice if I can squeeze it in. The only other running I do is about 3 or 4 5Ks a year. How I got to this advanced state of hyper-fitness ( ) was the venerable Couch-to-5k program. Someday I may feel compelled to up the mileage, but it's not a priority at this point in my life, especially when you look at running injury statistics.
    Craig in Indy

  15. #15
    Senior Member teachme's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Posts
    1,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Is this a trick question. No.
    No trick... Just trying to bring my level of fitness up, and at my age, its difficult to stay injury free in order to accomplish it. I may be wrong, but I feel cross- training would be very beneficial to my cycling and overall fitness.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

    Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

  16. #16
    Senior Member teachme's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Posts
    1,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Why not 80s 90s or 100s?
    Trying to be realistic, but if you have any tips on how one can accomplish this...
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

    Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

  17. #17
    Senior Member teachme's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Posts
    1,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    I don't really have any training tips other than to say I run at a sustainable pace (for me, that's only about a 10:45 mile) for 2.5-3 miles at a time, with quarter-mile walks before and after, and I do it at least once a week, twice if I can squeeze it in. The only other running I do is about 3 or 4 5Ks a year. How I got to this advanced state of hyper-fitness ( ) was the venerable Couch-to-5k program. Someday I may feel compelled to up the mileage, but it's not a priority at this point in my life, especially when you look at running injury statistics.
    10:45 is a pretty good pace! I've been doing the fartlek training method alternating periods of jogging and walking. Usually I count my strides... I'll jog for 200 strides than walk for a hundred strides, usually covering a distance of 3 miles approx. Problem is inevitably the endorphins kick in and I find myself running at a 10min/mile pace and thats when the joint pain comes in.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

    Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

  18. #18
    Don from Austin Texas
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Posts
    1,152
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post
    Since I started cycling a year ago I have lost 30 lbs and achieved a higher level of fitness. With this new-found fitness level I have begun to try to jog/run. I find that the running is beating myself up. My knees hurt, my back hurts etc... I've got to learn to just stay on the bike! Anyone else ever go through this? I'll be 55 years old this summer, and I am really feeling it.
    There is a young and very fit trainer at my gym who only very rarely rides a bike. I can drop her on a bike ride. If we went running together I would be done in 100 yards. I try to tell her running is bad for your knees, but instead, she just went and got her knee operated on and plans to keep on running. I commented, "Let's hope the technology of knee repair keeps getting better as you get older and persist in running and messing up your knees." She said that's what she is planning on.

    Don in Austin

  19. #19
    Elite Rider Hermes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    8,177
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post
    Trying to be realistic, but if you have any tips on how one can accomplish this...
    Yes, I think it starts with a mindset. If you visualize failure, it most certainly will happen. We cannot control age related degeneration but we can certainly visualize ourselves as healthy and capable for a long time. Realism, has nothing to do with that equation.

    Running is not going to improve your cycling per se or vice versa. Energy is a zero sum game to an extent. Running may be good for bone health and is certainly easier to do when traveling. And there is evidence showing that modern running shoes with max cushion are a source of injury due to promoting a heal strike with a locked knee versus a mid sole strike with a bent knee. I used to run but I like cycling a lot more. I have a pair of the new slip over shoes that look like feet that offer no padding. In those, you have to land mid sole and maintain a slightly bent knee.

    So running much like cycling is about technique and training to prevent injury. And running for a long time in the future is about taking care of your body and strengthening those muscles that running weakens and stretching those that running shortens.
    Last edited by Hermes; 05-09-12 at 02:09 PM.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

  20. #20
    Member toddtone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Allentown, PA
    My Bikes
    2002 Trek 7300; 2004 Trek 1000; 2007 Trek pilot 5.0; 2008 Trek 1500; 1997 Bianchi Alloro
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love running and cycling. teachme, running does utilize a totally (almost) different set of muscles and you will be sore in different places than when you cycle. One of the biggest causes for running discomfort is inappopriate footwear. If you haven't done so already, you should go to a running shoe store - not big box store, but a specialized runners store - and get fitted for your shoes much like you would be fitted for a bike. It will cost nothing. They will analyze your gait and ask you a lot of questions. Take a pair of shoes that you have used for some time along with you. They could be athletic shoes, but don't need to be. That will help them understand your gait and foot-strike even more.

    You will be surprised what the correct shoes will do for your facility to run. Yes, inappropriate shoes do cause knee pain, back pain, foot pain of many varieties that just may go away with the correct shoes. Be prepared to spend a hundred bucks or more on the correct shoes. It will be worth every penny and may very well be the difference in whether you choose to run for the long term or not.

    I find cross training to be beneficial to my cycling, and it also serves to keep me interested in staying fit overall. And during the worst of weather, I can always run on a treadmill as well as ride the trainer. BTW, running on a treadmill is far lower impact than running outside, and will result in a bit less soreness overall.

    I encourage you to give it a shot.

  21. #21
    Senior Member bigbadwullf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West, Tn.
    Posts
    1,763
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Make that HELL NO! I ride because I don't want to run. Never did like running. Plus it's hard on the knees. I want them around for a long time.

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

    2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

  22. #22
    Senior Member NOS88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,379
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post
    Yes, I know what you mean... I also started running because my weight loss rate has plateaued with cycling. Running combined with cycling renders a more efficient way of increasing my metabolism to achieve the weight loss. I've lost 30 through cycling... That came off easy within the first few months. Iwant to lose 25 more but its being very stubborn. I feel like I can reach my goal If I can keep running and cycling but avoid the injurys that running brings on.
    Almost any well thought out cross-training program will kick you metabolism into gear again. Your last sentence hits the nail on the head as to why running isn't part of my cross training.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

  23. #23
    Senior Member teachme's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Posts
    1,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
    There is a young and very fit trainer at my gym who only very rarely rides a bike. I can drop her on a bike ride. If we went running together I would be done in 100 yards. I try to tell her running is bad for your knees, but instead, she just went and got her knee operated on and plans to keep on running. I commented, "Let's hope the technology of knee repair keeps getting better as you get older and persist in running and messing up your knees." She said that's what she is planning on.

    Don in Austin
    Yeah, I can see where the pounding of running is going to cost the knees.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

    Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

  24. #24
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    5,614
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been tempted since a 5K charity run a few years ago, but so far I've managed to resist the temptation. It wasn't that the run was enjoyable, but because I hadn't run at all for about 30 years my time was so bad that it's hard to just leave it at that.

  25. #25
    Senior Member teachme's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Posts
    1,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Yes, I think it starts with a mindset. If you visualize failure, it most certainly will happen. We cannot control age related degeneration that is out of our control but we can certainly visualize ourselves as healthy and capable for a long time. Realism, has nothing to do with that equation.

    Running is not going to improve your cycling per se or vice versa. Energy is a zero sum game to an extent. Running may be good for bone health and is certainly easier to do when traveling. And there is evidence showing that modern running shoes with max cushion are a source of injury due to promoting a heal strike with a locked knee versus a mid sole strike with a bent knee. I used to run but I like cycling a lot more. I have a pair of the new slip over shoes that look like feet that offer no padding. In those, you have to land mid sole and maintain a slightly bent knee.

    So running much like cycling is about technique and training to prevent injury. And running for a long time in the future is about taking care of your body and strengthening those muscles that running weakens and stretching those that running shortens.
    I have a pair of the lites shoes and I agree that less is more when it comes to running shoes. Haven't tried the slip ons that look like feet, but I'm open to the idea. Some proclaim barefoot running as the best for joints.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

    Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •