rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

signs of the times-OT

This AM I stopped at a friends house to help him with a project after which we decided to go out for a bite. I decided to make a pit stop what with frequency being the new consistency! Couldn't help but notice that in his magazine rack along with magazines that he had a Kindle reader! Is nothing sacred?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't keep my Kindle in the bathroom reading rack, as its weight depresses its bottom-mount power button, constantly turning it back on after I've shut it off. Whether the whole thing is sacred or profane I'll leave to the historians.
    Craig in Indy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    I can't keep my Kindle in the bathroom reading rack, as its weight depresses its bottom-mount power button, constantly turning it back on after I've shut it off. Whether the whole thing is sacred or profane I'll leave to the historians.
    I have a case on mine that prevents this from happening. But sometime I will hold it in such a way that I shut it off.

The big difference between a Kindle(or Nook) and a paper book is that the paper book's battery doesn't run out mid-chapter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What good is the Kindle if the 'Music roll" runs out! Just sayin'.

My Bikes
    Rans Stratus LE, Terra Trike Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    Ummm...put the Kindle in the rack upside down.

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technology is great! Soon there will be no more text books. Everyone will have a kindle and/or dvd's to plug into there computer. Its humorus that you would ask if this is sacred or not. There was a time in History when books were thought to be evil...
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luddite that I am, I only recently found out what a Kindle is. My dentist knows that I am an avid reader, as is she, and has been trying to persuade me to move my reading into the 21st century.
    "Not gonna happen, Tooth Lady", sez I.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to assist at Mass the other day, (Episcopalian-Lay Eucharistic Minister) and our deacon and priest have both the Book of Common Prayer and Hymnal on their I-Pads .

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Luddite that I am, I only recently found out what a Kindle is. My dentist knows that I am an avid reader, as is she, and has been trying to persuade me to move my reading into the 21st century.
    "Not gonna happen, Tooth Lady", sez I.
    You are fortunate to not understand the advantages of the "48" text size.

As for finding a Kindle in the bathroom .............. I'd leave. All of my real friends have Nooks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love mine, it has improved my reading experience immensely.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was give a kindle a few years back. I read history, those books that are usually 1000+ pages. The nook makes it easier to carry on a plane. However, these books usually have a few sections of pictures and it is not easy to thumb back and forth through the book. I don't like the model of not being able to readily pass the content along to others nor the limited content available from the library. If you are reading the popular novels of the day I think it woul dbe OK.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My smart phone has free access to all the Kindle books my wife downloads. Otherwise, I can download my own booke for a fee.

The radio was considered evil by some, along with electric lights and, of course, computers. However, one would not be participating in this conversation unless they had a computer of sorts - so - complain about technology all you want - you have already been compromised or you would not be here.

Technology is there to be used as one sees fit.

My wife loves the word games in Kindle. Do any of you do crossword puzzles? Same thing - only easier to access.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-10-12 at 08:12 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    My smart phone has free access to all the Kindle books my wife downloads. Otherwise, I can download my own booke for a fee.

The radio was considered evil ny some, along with electric lights and, of course, computers. However, one would not be participating in this conversation unless they had a computer of sorts - so - complain about technology all you want - you have already been compromised or you would not be here.

Technology is there to be used as one sees fit.

My wife loves the word games in Kindle. Do any of you do crossword puzzles? Same thing - only easier to access.
    Well said.

Bikes and books are the only areas where I am traditional. Aside from those, I'm all for progress ~~ the more the better.

My Bikes
    Jamis Nova Pro, Giant Sedona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my Kindle for web surfing but for reading books I prefer the real thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    You are fortunate to not understand the advantages of the "48" text size.

As for finding a Kindle in the bathroom .............. I'd leave. All of my real friends have Nooks.

"48" text size??? Nooks??? (Here's where a Mr. Bill smiley would work...oh nooooooo.)

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    .......... I'm all for progress ~~ the more the better.
    It was Arthur C. Clarke who said, "Humans are an inevitable development in the evolution of the computer". Beware what you wish for.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am somewhat amused by this thread. It's not like the discussions here are taking place with paper, pen, and postage. Although if they were, one wonders if contributions would be seasoned with more time for thought.

My wife has a Kindle and it's great for when we travel. She can take multiple books in a very small package.
    I have and iPad which allows me the same reading choices as the Kindle, and I can check email, participate in discussion forums, etc. I don't think, however, either one of us spend any more time in the bathroom than necessary. There are much more pleasant rooms in our home.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post
    Technology is great! Soon there will be no more text books. Everyone will have a kindle and/or dvd's to plug into there computer. Its humorus that you would ask if this is sacred or not. There was a time in History when books were thought to be evil...
    Will they update the geography "books" to keep up with country name and boundry changes?

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a Asus tablet and put kendle on it. Its great, read three books already. I love being able to change the background color and text and text size too. I suppose I should have gotten one a long time ago. I guess it just takes me a while longer than most.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess I'm a bit of a luddite as well.Giver me real books, real newspapers, and downtube shifters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were is not for Kindle ,and all the other e-readers, I would have to stop reading. I need the ability to enlarge text to make it readable.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?