User Tag List

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did a Pie + 6 ride....nearly a metric century

Well, Monday was the record, but now, today, Thursday, I rode 60 miles(pie + 6, (age)54+6=60). I nearly did a metric century which I thought I was doing but forgot that a metric century is 62.1 miles. This was a tough ride as the closest I have ever done was 42 miles last Monday. Additionally, it was bloody windy so a good 60/65 % had a headwind of some sort. The wind decided to get even more blustery the last third of the ride. During the first 23 miles I managed an overall avg of 17mph. The last 15 miles or so were tough. I ended up with an overall avg of 16.3 mph.

As for pie, I'm going to hold off until Saturday when we have my birthday party(actually will be having giant fruit tart rather than traditional pie).

almost metric Century.jpg

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pity about not registering the correct miles but headwinds must have sent the wheel backwrds at some point. Close enough to count- but watch out for tomorrow. Recovery ride and get some food inside you tonight. If not you will not even feel like getting out of bed.

Good ride- Fruit Tart "May" count as Pie- but we want Pics and DnvrFox has to get a taster to verify.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go Mike, great things you are doing in your battle with Diabetes. Keep up the good work.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good ride, Mikey.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My plan tomorrow is to do at least my usual 23 miles. I'm going to try to do 30 or 34(full extra loop makes it 34 miles).

Before I rode today, I ate a banana, a slice of rye bread, and drank 16 oz of water. Around 23 miles into the ride, I ate a Quaker Oats Breakfast Bar while riding and drank some water. At around 40 miles, I stopped at the LBS and asked if I could refill my water(they said of course you may) and I ate a apple I cut into 6 pieces that I brought along, drank some water, and continued on to finish the ride. Ate lunch which included 2 bananas and an apple to go with my sandwich and PoP Chips(not fried, low fat). Tonight I'm making Kung Pao Chicken with rice for dinner--will have another apple and some no sugar added chocolate thin mint cookies.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    My plan tomorrow is to do at least my usual 23 miles. I'm going to try to do 30 or 34(full extra loop makes it 34 miles).

Before I rode today, I ate a banana, a slice of rye bread, and drank 16 oz of water. Around 23 miles into the ride, I ate a Quaker Oats Breakfast Bar while riding and drank some water. At around 40 miles, I stopped at the LBS and asked if I could refill my water(they said of course you may) and I ate a apple I cut into 6 pieces that I brought along, drank some water, and continued on to finish the ride. Ate lunch which included 2 bananas and an apple to go with my sandwich and PoP Chips(not fried, low fat). Tonight I'm making Kung Pao Chicken with rice for dinner--will have another apple and some no sugar added chocolate thin mint cookies.
    should stop the weight loss.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to watch my weight now to ensure I don't lose or lose too much. I like being between 144 and 146. I'll probably still lose some as I would have to eat 3600 calories to maintain today. Figuring about 30 cal/mile, I burned 1800 calories biking add that to needing about 1800/day without biking. I doubt I ate more than 2300/2500 calories today--this is fine as I weighed nearly 147lbs on Tuesday morning.
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 05-10-12 at 05:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Job

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not exactly pie, but a large(10") fruit tart from the local Harris Teeter grocery store.

The "confetti are things that get smaller as they get older. The wife used a Powerpoint and the last image was the one I'm using as my avatar--of myself posing in front of the new bike. I got older and lost 4/10 of my former self.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 05-12-12 at 02:48 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you have a license to eat that. It looks dangerous

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I seem to be missing something here. When did age rides and pie rides become the same thing?
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea, but somehow I got the impression that a Pie ride equaled no. of miles = to one's age. Hey, I'd love to know the supposed true definition. I also had the idea that the first real ride on a new N+1=Pie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe a "pie ride" is any ride over 15 units of measure so if that's the case you still have three pieces of pie owing to consume with out any guilt. If I'm wrong, somebody please feel free to correct my presumtion.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez, if pie = 15 units(miles/kilometers/whatever) I'd be eating pie all the time, getting fat, and my blood sugar would be sky high.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to think of every ride as a Pie Ride. I got to ride my bicycle, it was a great day, I was at 50+ in BF and I am glad to be alive in spite all of my health problems. We earn our PIE every day. YMMV

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney