User Tag List

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying a new product

Last year I was getting a particularly weird rear wheel problem addressed at the not-so LBS (not so because they are the best shop within 30 miles and I had to drive by several very good shops to get there). After the problem was fixed the shop mechanic handed me a small vial of chain lube (free sample) and said try this, it's really great and is being mixed and sold by a local guy. He says it's a great product and I trust him, He says it stays on the chain and you don't need to relube or clean as often. Hmm - less work, I'm up for that... So I take my wheel home, reassemble the bike and through the vial in the miscellaneous bike junk box and forget about it - I am an avid finish line user.

For Christmas my older daughter buys me a new Record chain (I raise them right), so as I am getting the bike tuned up I decide it's time to change the chain out. After that's done I look for the tube of finish line and find it's just about empty and then I remember this vial. Hmmm, new chain - time to test a new product. I put the stuff on, it smells like 90W gear oil and has the same consistency. If goes on clean and easy.

Here's the thing, about 3 weeks of riding, about 200 miles with no reoiling - the chain and rear cassette are still pretty clean, no dull black look that I usually see after a few long rides), no grimy buildup in the spiders. The drive train is still smooth (I can usually tell by feel if it needs a cleaning or lubing). The bike does need a good wash down after a few morning rides on wet roads. Now I know a new chain has a dense film of lube on it, but that does not last too long, this stuff - what ever it is it seems to work pretty well. I have enough for one more application and will try it after I clean the bike again, if that seems to work well too I think I will switch. I may even try some Hypoid (90W) - I think I still have a bottle from when I use to work on cars. Stuff stinks but if it works better, who cares.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you're just applying it to the edges of the sideplates and wiping off the excess or do you also lube the rollers?
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put it on the sides and the rollers and the lightly wipe it with a clean rag. I am not a chain fanatic. I got 3 years and probably 5K miles from the last chain (Chorus) before it got to the 0.75 stretch point, just as soon as they get there I replace them, I don't wait.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    I put it on the sides and the rollers and the lightly wipe it with a clean rag. I am not a chain fanatic. I got 3 years and probably 5K miles from the last chain (Chorus) before it got to the 0.75 stretch point, just as soon as they get there I replace them, I don't wait.
    FWIW, I get that kind of milage on my KMC chains and use Rock & Roll.
    Thanks for the heads up though.
    George

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    FWIW, I get that kind of milage on my KMC chains and use Rock & Roll.
    Thanks for the heads up though.
    George,
    Great to hear from you as always! Not familiar with KMC, will look it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used RocknRoll before. Cleans great but gets nasty-black super fast. Must attract every dirt molecule around within a mile! It's great to clean with but you have to get it off the chain and that's impossible without cleaning with something else. I got tired of it and switched to the Greased Lightening stuff. Stays oh so clean.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)