Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-13-12, 02:31 PM   #1
TomD77

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Schadenfreude in biking

Was in Atlanta for several days where my brother and I rode the Alpharetta Greenway Trail, a very unusual trail in that about 60% of it is wood constructed and elevated along a river course. For multiples of reasons, including very slick wood decking when wet, there is a 15 mph speed limit. This is no problem for 98% of the people on this trail. Other than my bike, I saw only two other road bikes. No problem for us either since my brother is a 13-14 mph rider.

At one point in the ride, in my mirror I saw a bike closing rapidly while weaving maniacally through the walkers and runners. As he came up on us as we were in a fairly sharp curve, he tried to dart to the inside directly into the path of a family group of bikers. It quickly became obvious that a head on was in the cards but he locked it down and somehow didn't wreck or hit anyone. 100 yards further down and he blasted past ringing some little dorky bell as, I assume, a warning to us to stay clear. When my brother and I got to the end of the trail, we saw him; an Oriental guy dressed like the guys in the movie Road Warrior, in black with a scarf covering his face except the eyes. This trail is only 6 miles long so my brother and I immediately turned around and headed back with the road warrior still sitting at the trail head. As we got back to the far end I was in the process of dismounting before getting to the loose gravel walkway back to the parking lot when here comes the road warrior again doing a hard and rapid turn around me (bell ringing). That worked just fine until he got to the gravel, at which point he was still in a hard turn at maybe 15-18 mph. You can guess how long it was before he dumped and hard, about 1/10th of a second. I have no idea what on earth he thought he was doing.

At first, I was worried because he was on the ground bleeding and groaning. We went over, looked him over and helped him up but after a couple of minutes it became apparent that his physical injuries were superficial, but the loss of face involved was significant. Afterwards, my brother and I admitted that the experience was the highlight of the day.
TomD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 02:46 PM   #2
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9
Karma is a b****!
Banded Krait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 04:51 PM   #3
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
The human race is reputed to be highly intelligent. Why is it so difficult to link actions and consequences.
berner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 05:18 PM   #4
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Funny story. In order to avoid giving offense, no one is oriental any more. They are Asians.
Old 05-13-12, 07:55 PM   #5
TomD77

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
Funny story. In order to avoid giving offense, no one is oriental any more. They are Asians.
OK, I'll consider myself to be reoriented. Are the Australians Asian?
Old 05-13-12, 08:24 PM   #6
Mort Canard

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
Does that mean I can give up being caucasian? I don't even understand the word and yet I am told I are one!
Mort Canard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 11:18 PM   #7
MinnMan

Bikes: 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort Canard View Post
Does that mean I can give up being caucasian? I don't even understand the word and yet I am told I are one!
Yeah, you should probably discard the "Caucasian" moniker, but not just because "Oriental" is sort of obsolete and offensive to some. The complementary term to "Oriental" is "Occidental", and I don't think either is in common usage, at least in terms of referring to someone's race. worse yet, "Caucasian" or "Caucausoid" goes back to an archaic tripartite division of humanity into 3 races, the other two being Mongoloid and Negroid. So it's kind of a non-starter, eh?

I'm not really an expert, but my point really is that many of these terms were used and then discarded a long time ago by anthropologists, law enforcment officials, etc.. Now you might prefer to refer to yourself and others as being of European, African, or Asian descent, but modern analysis suggests that most people are an admixture of DNA from pretty much all over the globe and that all these terms are more or less arbitrary.

I'm not criticizing anyone - just making the point that all of these labels are imperfect.
MinnMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 11:52 PM   #8
Wildwood

Bikes: see signature
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
kamikazi mission
and wanted to be anonymous if wearing a mask (scarf).

was the Schadenfreude yours or his?

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-13-12 at 11:58 PM.
Wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 05:23 AM   #9
TomD77

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
was the Schadenfreude yours or his?
Mine of course...
Old 05-14-12, 06:08 AM   #10
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
I had to look up schadenfreude... Glad you were able to enjoy that!
teachme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 07:34 AM   #11
leob1

Bikes:
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I think I would have gone over to check on the guy, but I would have been laughing my head off.
leob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 08:10 AM   #12
wphamilton
rugged individualist

Bikes: Nashbar Road
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
You were on the Forsythe Big Creek Greenway! Next time you're in town, the Alpharetta Greenway starts about 4 miles south of there. I guarantee that you'll find it a far more enjoyable ride.

I avoid that trail for all the reasons you mention. I can never understand those Road Warrior types on that trail. Time trialing on the boardwalks, in and around all the baby bikes? At 15 mph? I just don't get it.
wphamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 08:55 AM   #13
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
He may "not" be "oriental" but the "losing face" thing is more than proper, it fits.

As I read of his weaving through the peloton it gave the impression he watches too many races on Tv.

Locally, we have a 26mi wheelway/MUP that includes a 1/2mi vibrator free of charge so you can leave the quarters in the seatbag. That boardwalk is a trip. The only thing that goes through my mind when riding through it....beyond the "cant wait until I hit pavement" is the thought of ripping a tire on a nail that has worked up or a toothpick from the decking boards.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 12:46 PM   #14
TomD77

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
You were on the Forsythe Big Creek Greenway! Next time you're in town, the Alpharetta Greenway starts about 4 miles south of there. I guarantee that you'll find it a far more enjoyable ride.

I avoid that trail for all the reasons you mention. I can never understand those Road Warrior types on that trail. Time trialing on the boardwalks, in and around all the baby bikes? At 15 mph? I just don't get it.
My bad, I sorta knew that, I've ridden the Alpharetta one once before and it is much nicer in some respects. But the Forsythe one is pretty nice wandering through the trees along beside the stream bed. But I have a hard time thinking of a less appropriate venue for hard riding. Usually we go over to the Silver Comet but the weather was too dicey for a longer ride this last weekend. I'm up there about once a month & and lived my entire life there until 3 years ago.

You live in Alpharetta? My condolences, worst traffic in the hemisphere, or close enough to it.

Last edited by TomD77; 05-14-12 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-14-12, 01:10 PM   #15
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Darwin award.
Leebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 01:18 PM   #16
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
The person's race was not important to the story. What is important is that he was riding like he was in Super Mario Kart, and met the same end. With maybe a few more reminders on his knees or elbows afterward.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 02:49 PM   #17
wphamilton
rugged individualist

Bikes: Nashbar Road
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD77 View Post
... Usually we go over to the Silver Comet but the weather was too dicey for a longer ride this last weekend. I'm up there about once a month & and lived my entire life there until 3 years ago.

You live in Alpharetta? My condolences, worst traffic in the hemisphere, or close enough to it.
Not for me, my friend! I skip around all of the rush hour traffic taking the bike trails, and hardly ever drive except on weekends.

Somehow I've never gotten down the Silver Comet because it would be a pretty good ride just to get there and back, but it's been on my do list for years.
wphamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 03:40 PM   #18
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
Though it can seem tasty, I think schadenfreude often enough causes indigestion that it's best avoided.
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote