Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-13-12, 07:23 PM   #1
Piratebike

Bikes: 2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Always a rider?

I rode bikes a lot as a kid. But once I hit 16 it was motorcycles and cars. A few years ago my brother in law got killed on his motorcycle. My wife said mine had to go. Then in 2010 I had a heart attack. It was time to get some exercise. I had to wait a year until I was off the Plavics before the doctor would release me to ride. I now own three bikes. Ride about 20 miles every night with some longer rides on the weekend. So bikes to me are relatively new. Have you always ridden or did you get back into it later in life for the exercise?
Piratebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 07:27 PM   #2
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Always a rider?

Later in life, 6-7 years ago so I could ride with my son. I'm still really slow.
Old 05-13-12, 07:32 PM   #3
jmccain

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
Always for me, but more now than, say, 10 years ago.
jmccain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 07:39 PM   #4
downtube42

Bikes: Volae Team, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile
I was a bit of a late bloomer, learning to ride when I was 8 or 9. But once I learned I never stopped. Cars came and went, motorcycles came and went, but cycling has been a constant. There were a few lean years when my kids were small, probably under 1k miles, but being a cyclist has always been my identity.
downtube42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 07:40 PM   #5
Yo Spiff 
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ridden a bicycle most of my adult life, but I've had some periods when I have been off the bike for a year or more. Longest non-riding stretch was 4 years from '95-99 when I was busy being a single parent and didn't have the time or motivation between kids and work.
Old 05-13-12, 07:48 PM   #6
gforeman 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc
For me about 5 years ago when the knees gave out. Hadn't ridden since I was a kid.

I've never understood this: "A few years ago my brother in law got killed on his motorcycle. My wife said mine had to go."

If he died in a car, would you not be able to drive anymore? I've been riding motorcycles since I was 10 years old, and I will be 55 in June. I ride a GSX-R1000, and I have even run track days at the local race track, popping 150+ on the straights with it. My wife gets a little nervous when I'm at the track, but she knows it's in my blood and would NEVER ask me to give it up. I have lost friends over the years to motorcycle accidents, but also to car accidents, etc. One does not stop living, one goes on doing what you love.

Just thinking out loud again...

2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
2012 Specialized Crux Disc
My bike page: http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
Build a bike stand! http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html
gforeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 08:12 PM   #7
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
"seriously" - 14 years ago at age 58
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 08:24 PM   #8
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Rode a little as a kid but of course stopped when I could drive.
At 23, took my tax refund and bought a bike and have been riding ever since. For fun.
Old 05-13-12, 08:39 PM   #9
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Got tired of being fat and started four years ago at age 60. One of the best things I ever did.
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 08:47 PM   #10
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
Loved riding anything with 2 wheels since I was a kid. Started with bikes, moved to scooters, graduated to motorcycles, got fat because of motorcycles. Back to bikes again. My motorcycle hardly ever leaves the garage these days.
krobinson103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 08:48 PM   #11
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
Rode my bike as a kid until I turned 16. Drivers license put an end to my bike riding until a year ago when at age 53 I decided cycling would be the perfect way to achieve a great level of health and fitness.
teachme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 08:55 PM   #12
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Always a rider. I had a motorcycle and 5 cars through the years. But the gas powered vehicles always seemed to get dropped at the least excuse, and I've been a commuter or car-free for most of my adult life.

This bad boy has outlasted all my motor vehicles combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 08:59 PM   #13
catonec 

Bikes:
of course as a kid I rode my huffy's everyday.
I did some bmx racing at 10-14 which turned into flatland freestyle which lead to a short experiment with vert.
that tailed off when I turned 16 and my focus shifted to cars and girls. by time I finished high school, mountian biking was in a full restoration bloom so I rode quite a bit off road in my early 20's.
when I was 26 I trashed my back in a car collision. as I slowly healed, riding off road was too much so my mtb got slicks and I stayed on pavement.
eventually I opted for the less rolling resistance of a 23mm tire which has me where I am today, over 40, back fully healed, riding road almost exclusively.
Old 05-13-12, 10:45 PM   #14
B. Carfree

Bikes:
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Around the end of 2013 I'll pass 500,000 miles in the saddle. That will be just before my 54th B-day. Yes, I've been riding fairly continuously since I learned to ride at age two.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 10:54 PM   #15
tci2
old biker

Bikes: Giant MTB / '74 Schwinn Varsity / Maruschi Road Ace 303
Saw a "10spd racing bike" at J.C.Penny's when I was 14, bought it with some help from Dad, and kept that bike until I left for basic training. (It was still in the garage when I left, not sure what happened to it) Shortly after arriving in Germany for my first tour of duty I purchased a new bike and rode it up and down hills and mountains for the entire tour. Gave it to another GI when I left. To make this a quick post, I've never been without a bike but the riding has not always been constant. The introduction of police mountain biking in 2000 brought me back to riding regularly and I'm now 53.
tci2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 11:30 PM   #16
Wildwood

Bikes: see signature
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Picked it up again as an adult in 1985 (I was 34yo) so more than 25+ years ago. Pretty steady each year at about 3 - 4K mi/yr. Started because I needed a summer training regimen to complement the winter skiing habit. The knees no longer enjoyed "jogging" and my tennis partner stopped playing - so I bought a road bike. Been roading ever since, and practicing N+1 regularly for me or the family.

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-13-12 at 11:38 PM.
Wildwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 11:53 PM   #17
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Was always one of those fit kids doing every sport going and kept running competitively till I was 34. Then family commitments till 1990 and got dragged screaming into bike riding by a mate. Still screaming but only after too many hills or miles.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 04:31 AM   #18
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I lived on my bikes as a kid and like the OP, pretty much gave them up for cars and motorcycles at 16. I rode motorcycles until I was 30 and my first son was born. Not a conscious decision, but I simply lost the desire to ride. At 35 in 1990, after a divorce, I took up bicycling as a way to exercise and meet people. I've been riding like crazy ever since.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 05:32 AM   #19
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
Quote:
but I simply lost the desire to ride
Getting that way myself these days. I really don't feel like getting dressed up in armor to ride the motorcycle when I get there with only a small time penalty on the bike. I used to love riding that motorcycle now it looks all lonely in the garage...
krobinson103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 07:42 AM   #20
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
Rode as a kid, quit in high school, started again in late college, rode avidly into my 30s and 40s, then sort of set it aside in my early 50s and am now back at it more than ever.
CraigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 07:46 AM   #21
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Kid first.. then started road riding at the age of 65.

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 07:48 AM   #22
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Rode as a kid, mostly British 3-Speeds, quit when I was 16 and started driving, got hooked again when I was 18 and haven't stopped since. Lots of variation on a theme though, with velodrome racing, mountain bike racing, road bike racing, touring, ultra-distance events (mostly double centuries) and commuting on my folding bike.

So that's about 44 years of consistant cycling.

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 07:55 AM   #23
wphamilton
rugged individualist

Bikes: Nashbar Road
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
I started four years ago and I don't plan on ever stopping. The silver lining is that I don't have 40 years of wear and tear of consistent exercise so I figure I'm good for another 40 years before everything wears out.
wphamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 07:55 AM   #24
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
I began serious riding the summer of '73 when I was 15 and the Motobecane Mirage was my first serious roadbike (compared to the ubiquitous Huffy with Shimano Eagle "grouppo poopo".

Through the years I've had many moves and children added to the moving load but in my heart I was always a biker. In '81 I returned to the fogline atop a Stella that was relabelled as an Arctic as a promo bike for Arctic Cat snowmobiles. Never could figure that one out but it was a nice bike and I spiffed it up pretty good. Rode that on all the favorite routes against some of the best in the area.

Again, I returned to roadbiking in '91 with a gaspipe special Ross roadbike from a garage sale for 30.00. Didnt do many miles on it before it was stolen. No heartbreak there.

Then, in '04 someone gave me the Trek 460 and I was in love! Light bike, great components and racing geometry it quickly reminded me of the bike I'd always wanted in those days. Still have it, still ride it hard and last summer probably had near 2000mi on it.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 07:59 AM   #25
trackhub

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
Always a rider. I had a motorcycle and 5 cars through the years. But the gas powered vehicles always seemed to get dropped at the least excuse, and I've been a commuter or car-free for most of my adult life.

This bad boy has outlasted all my motor vehicles combined.

Nice! That is even the right shade of that color I call "70s orange".

I had a period of time, late teens to early 20s, when cars dominated my life. Most males here know the drill: Young males + hormones + cars = good times. But I started riding a bike again, and, well, that's the way it is. I've always been an "outsider" and if you ride a bike in America, you are an outsider. But I like being an outsider.
trackhub is offline   Reply With Quote