Thread: Always a rider?

My Bikes
    2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always a rider?

I rode bikes a lot as a kid. But once I hit 16 it was motorcycles and cars. A few years ago my brother in law got killed on his motorcycle. My wife said mine had to go. Then in 2010 I had a heart attack. It was time to get some exercise. I had to wait a year until I was off the Plavics before the doctor would release me to ride. I now own three bikes. Ride about 20 miles every night with some longer rides on the weekend. So bikes to me are relatively new. Have you always ridden or did you get back into it later in life for the exercise?

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Always a rider?

Later in life, 6-7 years ago so I could ride with my son. I'm still really slow.

My Bikes
    Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always for me, but more now than, say, 10 years ago.

My Bikes
    too many/not enough
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a bit of a late bloomer, learning to ride when I was 8 or 9. But once I learned I never stopped. Cars came and went, motorcycles came and went, but cycling has been a constant. There were a few lean years when my kids were small, probably under 1k miles, but being a cyclist has always been my identity.
    What is bicycle touring?
    "So I kept looking and eventually found that a spark plug had same threads. So I cycled next two days until I got to Jackson, MS with a spark plug instead of right pedal." - mev

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ridden a bicycle most of my adult life, but I've had some periods when I have been off the bike for a year or more. Longest non-riding stretch was 4 years from '95-99 when I was busy being a single parent and didn't have the time or motivation between kids and work.
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me about 5 years ago when the knees gave out. Hadn't ridden since I was a kid.

I've never understood this: "A few years ago my brother in law got killed on his motorcycle. My wife said mine had to go."

If he died in a car, would you not be able to drive anymore? I've been riding motorcycles since I was 10 years old, and I will be 55 in June. I ride a GSX-R1000, and I have even run track days at the local race track, popping 150+ on the straights with it. My wife gets a little nervous when I'm at the track, but she knows it's in my blood and would NEVER ask me to give it up. I have lost friends over the years to motorcycle accidents, but also to car accidents, etc. One does not stop living, one goes on doing what you love.

Just thinking out loud again...
    Gary F.

2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert (on the way)
    2012 Specialized Crux Disc
    My bike page: http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
    Build a bike stand! http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "seriously" - 14 years ago at age 58
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rode a little as a kid but of course stopped when I could drive.
    At 23, took my tax refund and bought a bike and have been riding ever since. For fun.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got tired of being fat and started four years ago at age 60. One of the best things I ever did.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved riding anything with 2 wheels since I was a kid. Started with bikes, moved to scooters, graduated to motorcycles, got fat because of motorcycles. Back to bikes again. My motorcycle hardly ever leaves the garage these days.

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rode my bike as a kid until I turned 16. Drivers license put an end to my bike riding until a year ago when at age 53 I decided cycling would be the perfect way to achieve a great level of health and fitness.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always a rider. I had a motorcycle and 5 cars through the years. But the gas powered vehicles always seemed to get dropped at the least excuse, and I've been a commuter or car-free for most of my adult life.

This bad boy has outlasted all my motor vehicles combined.

"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    of course as a kid I rode my huffy's everyday.
    I did some bmx racing at 10-14 which turned into flatland freestyle which lead to a short experiment with vert.
    that tailed off when I turned 16 and my focus shifted to cars and girls. by time I finished high school, mountian biking was in a full restoration bloom so I rode quite a bit off road in my early 20's.
    when I was 26 I trashed my back in a car collision. as I slowly healed, riding off road was too much so my mtb got slicks and I stayed on pavement.
    eventually I opted for the less rolling resistance of a 23mm tire which has me where I am today, over 40, back fully healed, riding road almost exclusively.
    2010 Kestrel RT900SL, 800k carbon, chorus/record, speedplay, zonda
    1997 Trek ZX6000, 6061w/manitou spyder, xt/xtr, time atac

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around the end of 2013 I'll pass 500,000 miles in the saddle. That will be just before my 54th B-day. Yes, I've been riding fairly continuously since I learned to ride at age two.

My Bikes
    Giant MTB / '74 Schwinn Varsity / Maruschi Road Ace 303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw a "10spd racing bike" at J.C.Penny's when I was 14, bought it with some help from Dad, and kept that bike until I left for basic training. (It was still in the garage when I left, not sure what happened to it) Shortly after arriving in Germany for my first tour of duty I purchased a new bike and rode it up and down hills and mountains for the entire tour. Gave it to another GI when I left. To make this a quick post, I've never been without a bike but the riding has not always been constant. The introduction of police mountain biking in 2000 brought me back to riding regularly and I'm now 53.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked it up again as an adult in 1985 (I was 34yo) so more than 25+ years ago. Pretty steady each year at about 3 - 4K mi/yr. Started because I needed a summer training regimen to complement the winter skiing habit. The knees no longer enjoyed "jogging" and my tennis partner stopped playing - so I bought a road bike. Been roading ever since, and practicing N+1 regularly for me or the family.
    Last edited by Wildwood; 05-13-12 at 11:38 PM.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '87 DeRosa Professional, '91 Gary Fisher SuperCaliber, 1999 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was always one of those fit kids doing every sport going and kept running competitively till I was 34. Then family commitments till 1990 and got dragged screaming into bike riding by a mate. Still screaming but only after too many hills or miles.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lived on my bikes as a kid and like the OP, pretty much gave them up for cars and motorcycles at 16. I rode motorcycles until I was 30 and my first son was born. Not a conscious decision, but I simply lost the desire to ride. At 35 in 1990, after a divorce, I took up bicycling as a way to exercise and meet people. I've been riding like crazy ever since.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but I simply lost the desire to ride
    Getting that way myself these days. I really don't feel like getting dressed up in armor to ride the motorcycle when I get there with only a small time penalty on the bike. I used to love riding that motorcycle now it looks all lonely in the garage...

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rode as a kid, quit in high school, started again in late college, rode avidly into my 30s and 40s, then sort of set it aside in my early 50s and am now back at it more than ever.
    Craig in Indy

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kid first.. then started road riding at the age of 65.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rode as a kid, mostly British 3-Speeds, quit when I was 16 and started driving, got hooked again when I was 18 and haven't stopped since. Lots of variation on a theme though, with velodrome racing, mountain bike racing, road bike racing, touring, ultra-distance events (mostly double centuries) and commuting on my folding bike.

So that's about 44 years of consistant cycling.

Rick / OCRR

rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started four years ago and I don't plan on ever stopping. The silver lining is that I don't have 40 years of wear and tear of consistent exercise so I figure I'm good for another 40 years before everything wears out.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I began serious riding the summer of '73 when I was 15 and the Motobecane Mirage was my first serious roadbike (compared to the ubiquitous Huffy with Shimano Eagle "grouppo poopo".

Through the years I've had many moves and children added to the moving load but in my heart I was always a biker. In '81 I returned to the fogline atop a Stella that was relabelled as an Arctic as a promo bike for Arctic Cat snowmobiles. Never could figure that one out but it was a nice bike and I spiffed it up pretty good. Rode that on all the favorite routes against some of the best in the area.

Again, I returned to roadbiking in '91 with a gaspipe special Ross roadbike from a garage sale for 30.00. Didnt do many miles on it before it was stolen. No heartbreak there.

Then, in '04 someone gave me the Trek 460 and I was in love! Light bike, great components and racing geometry it quickly reminded me of the bike I'd always wanted in those days. Still have it, still ride it hard and last summer probably had near 2000mi on it.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Always a rider. I had a motorcycle and 5 cars through the years. But the gas powered vehicles always seemed to get dropped at the least excuse, and I've been a commuter or car-free for most of my adult life.

This bad boy has outlasted all my motor vehicles combined.

Nice! That is even the right shade of that color I call "70s orange".

I had a period of time, late teens to early 20s, when cars dominated my life. Most males here know the drill: Young males + hormones + cars = good times. But I started riding a bike again, and, well, that's the way it is. I've always been an "outsider" and if you ride a bike in America, you are an outsider. But I like being an outsider.
    I thought I was suffering from depression once. Turned out, I was simply surrounded by idiots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast