Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting "roadster" bike

Found this interesting bike. Designed as a commuter / city bike. 8 speed internal hub, 32 mm tires, fenders, real leather grips. Cromoly steel frame. Nice classic design. IMHO, this would be a nice bike to cruise around on.

http://www.bicycletimesmag.com/conte...nus-roadster-8

They made 3-speed and 8-speed mixte frames too: http://www.linusbike.com/models/mixte-8/

I like seeing bikes like these in production. And at reasonable prices too. The Roadster 8 is $839. The single speed Roadster Classic is just $449.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2011 Trek Soho Deluxe cost a little more, but it has a carbon fork, front disk brake and a gates drive belt. As with the roadster it has an 8 spd IGH, fenders and a rack. It is a great bicycle for my commute.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just aquired this bike-

Basic hybrid based on an MTB frame and set up for commuting. Alfine hub- sturdy wheels (Class that as heavy) Alfine disc brakes and a heavier frame that I would even remotely consider. But it rides well. I got it as a runabout bike but will do well as a commuter. The hub is virtually maintenance free-as are the brakes. In fact the whole bike is set up for minimal maintenance but that is how I aquired it. The previous owner did not do any maintenance and when I told him how much it would cost to repair- I got a cheap bike. Good comfortable riding position and despite the weight it does roll well.

Although this style and type of bike is not for me- If I were doing a 10 mile commute to work- this bike will do the job and do it better than a finecky road bike that would require tinkering with to keep running in the foul weather that would experienced as a daily ride. As it is- I use this bike for all my local trips whetehr they be just a mile or so or 20 miles.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it. Bikes like that appeal more and more to me these days. The front fender needs a long mudflap to be truly effective, but it's no big deal to make one. I love the color...reminds me of my LHT.
    Last edited by Louis; 05-14-12 at 03:31 PM.

My Bikes
    Trek 2.1, Trek 930, Fugi Sagres c.1980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One purdy bike. Love the cream and brown. Very classy.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtragitt View Post
    My 2011 Trek Soho Deluxe cost a little more, but it has a carbon fork, front disk brake and a gates drive belt. As with the roadster it has an 8 spd IGH, fenders and a rack. It is a great bicycle for my commute.
    I think Trek did a nice job with the Soho Deluxe. It makes sense, right down to the 36 spoke wheels.

Do you have any idea of what the gear inches are on it? I'm assuming that 55T belt crank isn't equivalent to a 55T chain sprocket.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezerPete View Post
    One purdy bike. Love the cream and brown. Very classy.
    +1

Nice city and MUP bike. Quality design.
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber Cyclocross bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike for severe duty
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road racing bike

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Basic hybrid based on an MTB frame and set up for commuting. Alfine hub- sturdy wheels (Class that as heavy) Alfine disc brakes and a heavier frame that I would even remotely consider. But it rides well. I got it as a runabout bike but will do well as a commuter. The hub is virtually maintenance free-as are the brakes.
    Looks good to me. Great urban bike.

I'm surprised there aren't more of these type of bikes in production. There are some, like the Trek Soho Deluxe noted above. A female friend of mine is looking for a bike with a belt drive, 7 or 8 speed internal hub, with disc brakes and she can't find one with a woman's frame.

surfrider

Another option

Also try Nirve Bicycles. They've started producing a line of 'roadster' town bikes to supplement their more popular beach crusiers. 4130 main triangle, Shimano Nexus IGH hub etc.

http://www.nirve.com/men-beach-cruis...ting&cid=582.7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get it. No headlight, no tailight, no chainguard, and rim brakes. On the other hand, I have to admit it is a pretty bike.

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I think Trek did a nice job with the Soho Deluxe. It makes sense, right down to the 36 spoke wheels.

Do you have any idea of what the gear inches are on it? I'm assuming that 55T belt crank isn't equivalent to a 55T chain sprocket.
    I am sorry I don't know the gear inches. The 55 T belt crank should be equivalent to a 55 T chain sprocket. The rear sprocket is 24 T.