Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll confess: All bikes look about the same to me

All those "Show us your blue (red/white/yellow/whatever) bike" threads have finally pushed me over. I've been cycling for 40 years as an adult. There's probably $8000 worth of bikes and bike parts in my garage. For several years, cycling was practically all I did.
    Still, if I never see another picture of a bicycle, it's fine with me. They've all got a wheel on each end, tubes in the middle and a seat on top, and not enough of them are orange. What else is there to see?

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to make the popcorn, BRB...
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow - I think I'll go out and buy a new pair of bike shoes:

"Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yo Spiff View Post
    Going to make the popcorn, BRB...
    Save some for me, OK?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please seek help. You are losing it.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm that way about cars...but bikes!?

My Bikes
    1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's racist. . . .
    "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize"
    "So I do not run like someone who doesn't run toward the finish line. I do not fight like a boxer who hits nothing but air."
    "And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us."
    "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."

My Bikes
    Old Specialized FSR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yo Velo Dog!!!
    I certainly can understand where you're coming from.
    I say we head on down to the local tavern and talk about guitars and the blues!!!
    Been chatting to a 14 year old girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have to agree. especially carbon frames. i have been cycling since 1977, I am now 60 and i just don't feel that wow factor on looking at bikes like i use too. I have 1 carbon, 2 custom steel made frames and now a custom aluminum by tiemeyer and that is the one i ride the most now,however i am just not as impressed with bieks like i use to be
    " Advantages must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"
    He conquers who endures

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My three favorite bikes all look somewhat different to me!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    All those "Show us your blue (red/white/yellow/whatever) bike" threads have finally pushed me over. I've been cycling for 40 years as an adult. There's probably $8000 worth of bikes and bike parts in my garage. For several years, cycling was practically all I did.
    Still, if I never see another picture of a bicycle, it's fine with me. They've all got a wheel on each end, tubes in the middle and a seat on top, and not enough of them are orange. What else is there to see?
    That would buy one Ellis bike. Maybe. You have no idea until you've seen one in person. http://www.elliscycles.com/

Having said that, all I care about is the ride of my bikes. But I do have an orange(ish) jeep.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, they all look the same

Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's lots of innovation going on around the edges of the standard diamond frame bike- recumbents of all shapes and sizes, racing trikes, velomobiles, quads, front wheel drive bikes, and homebuilts of every description. Not all of them will work well for a given person, but it's intriguing to follow all the designs that come (and go).

What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's called the Cognitive Redundancy Principle: Every conversation about banjos is the same. Except it can be applied to bikes too.
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Wow - I think I'll go out and buy a new pair of bike shoes:

Thanks for the picture, which was worth a good laugh. I am now 67 and if God gives me 1 more day or 30 more years I hope I never get tired of looking at Women, Airplanes and Bikes. (In that order) Been married to the same woman for 50 years and they all got the same equipment but I still like to look at a pretty woman. My wife doesn’t worry because she knows I am not going to do anything but look. My 3 Bikes may have something to worry about because I may do more than look. Don’t have an airplane anymore and I can’t pass the medical but I still like to look at them.

As far as bike colors go, orange is a long way down on my list of favorites. However, if orange makes someone else happy, I’ll smile with them.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 road bikes and other than colour and components and shape of the frame-Not much difference.

But they each ride differently and have their own uses.

How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pass me that popcorn please, Velodog has gone over the edge. Someone post an orange bicycle quick!
    Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that most upright bikes look basically the same. Recumbents have a lot more variety, though. Unless you're saying that the one in my avatar looks indistinguishable from the ones in Stapfam's collection.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stick to looking at road bikes. It's like looking at custom or exotic cars. A Kia or a Focus doesn't really do anything for me, but a Lotus or a Ferrari ..... that's a different story.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwellman View Post
    That's racist. . . .
    THAT is funny!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    They've all got a wheel on each end, tubes in the middle and a seat on top, and not enough of them are orange. What else is there to see?
    I sort of agree. I'm much less interested in gear than I used to be. I'm much more interested in actually doing rather than thinking of doing (which seems to include lots of pondering gear).

I can ride by a group of riders and not notice any of the bikes unless it's something distinctive like a Bianchi celeste colored frame.

My cycling thoughts are much more about the weather and finding/planning time to ride. I have all the stuff I want. But occasionally it's interesting to see what others here are riding and photos can be fun.

What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmccain View Post
    I'm much more interested in actually doing rather than thinking of doing...
    But occasionally it's interesting to see what others here are riding and photos can be fun.
    I agree that the riding is the whole point, though tinkering is a fun activity if one's inclination inclines that way.

The various "Did you ride today?" threads could interesting because they focus on the riding, not the bikes. But they suffer from one big problem. Posts that are just "37 miles today" are devoid of life. That could be 37 miles anywhere.
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

My Bikes
    Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmuller View Post
    I agree that the riding is the whole point, though tinkering is a fun activity if one's inclination inclines that way.
    Absolutely, tinkering/acquiring/planning is some folk's primary enjoyment. It never was mine, even though I worked in bike shops and owned one. Mechanics, for me, was only an end to get the bike back on the road.

Like most here, I also participate in other hobbies. Mine is primarily music. This, like cycling, attracts folks with varied ways to enjoy the activity and for many, acquisition, collecting and maintenance (for lack of a better word) brings the most joy.

For me, it's about doing, but I don't say/write that with any superiority or judgement. I thinks it's cool to like to participate in all ways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    3 road bikes and other than colour and components and shape of the frame-Not much difference.

But they each ride differently and have their own uses.

Let me guess.The Pinarello is on the left!Right?

Man of constant sorrow Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'll confess: All bikes look about the same to me

One brand of bents, the Bacchettas, honestly do look all the same, and they're not lovely to behold. My bent is the most utilitarian bike I've ridden. It's also not that much fun to tinker with. It is the one I've enjoyed riding the most.
    Possunt quia posse videntur. St. Dudel: Epic is stupid that you get away with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast