Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-15-12, 11:49 AM   #1
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Transonic 1.3, 2015 All City Mr. Pink, 2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009 Jamis single speed, 2012 Scorpion FX trike
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Frankenstein bike

Since losing my bike to a thief I turned to my "spinning class" bike to become my road bike. I think it qualifies as a true "Frankenstein" bike. I bought the frame, fork and seat post on E-bay a couple years ago for just over $300.00. It is a 2006 Specialized S-Works Tarmac Matrix - 60 CM. This is the frame that Specialized had that is part E-5 aluminum and part Carbon fiber. The parts are listed below. Most came from E-bay and some came from my brother's collection of parts.
Stem - Felt ST-27 - E-Bay
Handlebar - Bontrager Race Lite - E-Bay
Handlebar tape - I have no idea what it is.
Water bottle holders - came off a bike I crashed a couple years ago.
Seat bag - found in a box of bike parts I have.
Seat - Selle Italia - Model is worn off so I cannot read. Came with a used bike I bought 5 years ago.
Speedometer - Cateye Wireless I just bought and installed.
Pedals - an old set of Ultegra pedals that came off an older bike. Thought they were worn out then.
Shifters - 9 speed Dura-Ace 7700. These were in my brother's shop. Got them in trade for a bike part to be named later.
Crankset - Shimano FC-R700. This is a crankset that is not part of a Shimano group. Not sure why I had the set. 50/34
Cassette - 12-27 9-speed from E-Bay
FD - A new Ultegra front derailluer
RD - Dura-Ace 9-speed from E-Bay
Brakes - Shimano 105 - Not sure how they arrived.
Cables - Found in my brother's shop.
Wheels - A brand new purchase. Stan's No Tubes - Alpha 340 ztr
Tires - A set of Maxis Pardrone - bought with the wheels.

The wheels and tires cost more than the rest of the bike.

I believe this qualifies as a "Frankenstein" bike. And has qualfied as a lot of fun to put together.
BikeArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 12:15 PM   #2
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: De Rosa Super Prestige, Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Everyone needs a "Frankenstein" bike. I've been known to build a complete bike just because I had a few spare parts that needed a home.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 12:21 PM   #3
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you ever want to build up another bike, I have a couple frames and 7800 groups sitting around. I just haven't been very aggressive in selling them but my wife keeps asking when they will get out of the house. lol
BikeWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 12:51 PM   #4
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Pictures?

Building bikes that way is one of my favorite things. The bike I'm riding home from work today has parts on it that have previously been used on or came originally on four different bikes - along with a new frame and a few new parts. Building this one led to another one being transformed into a SS/fixed gear bike using parts I already had. I just came across an old lugged steel frame in my size that will, I'm sure cause orphaned parts to emerge from storage and others to be collected until yet another bike appears.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 05-15-12 at 01:04 PM.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 03:49 PM   #5
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Transonic 1.3, 2015 All City Mr. Pink, 2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009 Jamis single speed, 2012 Scorpion FX trike
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
If you ever want to build up another bike, I have a couple frames and 7800 groups sitting around. I just haven't been very aggressive in selling them but my wife keeps asking when they will get out of the house. lol
Very Tempting. I like 7800 because of the cable routing and the solid feel of a shift.
BikeArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 09:29 AM   #6
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
You guys don't know the meaning of 'Frankenbike.' You think that putting a bunch of used parts on a frame qualifies. All bikes, even new ones, are a mixture of components attached to a frame. To me, a Frankenbike is when you piece together frames to come up with something.

THIS is a Frankenbike.

Mountain bike fork, frame is from two old dept store bikes plus a few odd pieces of chromoly, recumbent seat off a lowracer, and handlebars that are self-bent from 7/8" aluminum tubing.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 09:35 AM   #7
Durockrolly

Bikes: Old Specialized FSR
Good to see you getting ready to roll again, BA!!!
Durockrolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 09:36 AM   #8
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: De Rosa Super Prestige, Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
You guys don't know the meaning of 'Frankenbike.' You think that putting a bunch of used parts on a frame qualifies. All bikes, even new ones, are a mixture of components attached to a frame. To me, a Frankenbike is when you piece together frames to come up with something.

THIS is a Frankenbike.

Mountain bike fork, frame is from two old dept store bikes plus a few odd pieces of chromoly, recumbent seat off a lowracer, and handlebars that are self-bent from 7/8" aluminum tubing.
You got me there.

But putting a mountain bike crankset, a road front derailleur & a MTB rear derailleur, touring wheels, 29er tires, brifters and drop bars together on one bike is enough of a Frankenstein for me.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-16-12 at 09:39 AM.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 09:42 AM   #9
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
Everyone needs a "Frankenstein" bike. I've been known to build a complete bike just because I had a few spare parts that needed a home.
This past winter a grandson and I put together a road bike from our family parts inventory. I'm thinking the only things bought new were tires and handlebar tape. I made the 11 year old grandson do most of the work. It was fun.

My son picked up that bike on Sunday. He needed it because my granddaughter's kiddie cart won't connect very well to his carbon fiber Felt. Afterward Mrs. Grouch, myself, and my son's family all went on a short multi-generational Mother's Day bike ride. That was fun too.
Retro Grouch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 07:26 PM   #10
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Good to hear you are back on the road BA. I hope your new steed provides you with much pleasure.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 09:04 PM   #11
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sounds like a great project. Glad you are recovering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 09:06 PM   #12
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
You guys don't know the meaning of 'Frankenbike.'
I don't know about that. I once took a Huffy frame and gave it all Peugeot components. That was pretty unnatural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 10:25 PM   #13
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
You guys don't know the meaning of 'Frankenbike.'
I don't know about that. This is what I made in 2005 from an early 90s Giant Rincon rigid MTB. My first attempt to build a bike for dirt roads. That crankset is now on my monstercross bike. Kind of completes the circle.

Sasquatch r qtr by BluesDawg, on Flickr
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote