User Tag List

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frankenstein bike

Since losing my bike to a thief I turned to my "spinning class" bike to become my road bike. I think it qualifies as a true "Frankenstein" bike. I bought the frame, fork and seat post on E-bay a couple years ago for just over $300.00. It is a 2006 Specialized S-Works Tarmac Matrix - 60 CM. This is the frame that Specialized had that is part E-5 aluminum and part Carbon fiber. The parts are listed below. Most came from E-bay and some came from my brother's collection of parts.
    Stem - Felt ST-27 - E-Bay
    Handlebar - Bontrager Race Lite - E-Bay
    Handlebar tape - I have no idea what it is.
    Water bottle holders - came off a bike I crashed a couple years ago.
    Seat bag - found in a box of bike parts I have.
    Seat - Selle Italia - Model is worn off so I cannot read. Came with a used bike I bought 5 years ago.
    Speedometer - Cateye Wireless I just bought and installed.
    Pedals - an old set of Ultegra pedals that came off an older bike. Thought they were worn out then.
    Shifters - 9 speed Dura-Ace 7700. These were in my brother's shop. Got them in trade for a bike part to be named later.
    Crankset - Shimano FC-R700. This is a crankset that is not part of a Shimano group. Not sure why I had the set. 50/34
    Cassette - 12-27 9-speed from E-Bay
    FD - A new Ultegra front derailluer
    RD - Dura-Ace 9-speed from E-Bay
    Brakes - Shimano 105 - Not sure how they arrived.
    Cables - Found in my brother's shop.
    Wheels - A brand new purchase. Stan's No Tubes - Alpha 340 ztr
    Tires - A set of Maxis Pardrone - bought with the wheels.

The wheels and tires cost more than the rest of the bike.

I believe this qualifies as a "Frankenstein" bike. And has qualfied as a lot of fun to put together.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone needs a "Frankenstein" bike. I've been known to build a complete bike just because I had a few spare parts that needed a home.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you ever want to build up another bike, I have a couple frames and 7800 groups sitting around. I just haven't been very aggressive in selling them but my wife keeps asking when they will get out of the house. lol
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures?

Building bikes that way is one of my favorite things. The bike I'm riding home from work today has parts on it that have previously been used on or came originally on four different bikes - along with a new frame and a few new parts. Building this one led to another one being transformed into a SS/fixed gear bike using parts I already had. I just came across an old lugged steel frame in my size that will, I'm sure cause orphaned parts to emerge from storage and others to be collected until yet another bike appears.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 05-15-12 at 01:04 PM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    If you ever want to build up another bike, I have a couple frames and 7800 groups sitting around. I just haven't been very aggressive in selling them but my wife keeps asking when they will get out of the house. lol
    Very Tempting. I like 7800 because of the cable routing and the solid feel of a shift.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys don't know the meaning of 'Frankenbike.' You think that putting a bunch of used parts on a frame qualifies. All bikes, even new ones, are a mixture of components attached to a frame. To me, a Frankenbike is when you piece together frames to come up with something.

THIS is a Frankenbike.

Mountain bike fork, frame is from two old dept store bikes plus a few odd pieces of chromoly, recumbent seat off a lowracer, and handlebars that are self-bent from 7/8" aluminum tubing.

My Bikes
    Old Specialized FSR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see you getting ready to roll again, BA!!!
    Been chatting to a 14 year old girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    You guys don't know the meaning of 'Frankenbike.' You think that putting a bunch of used parts on a frame qualifies. All bikes, even new ones, are a mixture of components attached to a frame. To me, a Frankenbike is when you piece together frames to come up with something.

THIS is a Frankenbike.

Mountain bike fork, frame is from two old dept store bikes plus a few odd pieces of chromoly, recumbent seat off a lowracer, and handlebars that are self-bent from 7/8" aluminum tubing.
    You got me there.

But putting a mountain bike crankset, a road front derailleur & a MTB rear derailleur, touring wheels, 29er tires, brifters and drop bars together on one bike is enough of a Frankenstein for me.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-16-12 at 09:39 AM.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    Everyone needs a "Frankenstein" bike. I've been known to build a complete bike just because I had a few spare parts that needed a home.
    This past winter a grandson and I put together a road bike from our family parts inventory. I'm thinking the only things bought new were tires and handlebar tape. I made the 11 year old grandson do most of the work. It was fun.

My son picked up that bike on Sunday. He needed it because my granddaughter's kiddie cart won't connect very well to his carbon fiber Felt. Afterward Mrs. Grouch, myself, and my son's family all went on a short multi-generational Mother's Day bike ride. That was fun too.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear you are back on the road BA. I hope your new steed provides you with much pleasure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great project. Glad you are recovering.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys don't know the meaning of 'Frankenbike.'
    I don't know about that. I once took a Huffy frame and gave it all Peugeot components. That was pretty unnatural.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys don't know the meaning of 'Frankenbike.'
    I don't know about that. This is what I made in 2005 from an early 90s Giant Rincon rigid MTB. My first attempt to build a bike for dirt roads. That crankset is now on my monstercross bike. Kind of completes the circle.

Sasquatch r qtr by BluesDawg, on Flickr
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.