Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting back into riding and in the market

After 20 years and 20 pounds I'm getting the itch to get back into cycling. I'm just starting to kick tires and will try to take a few test rides soon. I had a Trek 5200 some years ago that I gave to my son, but bike equipment has changed a bit since I last rode.

Any suggestions on what an advanced middle aged guy (58) should be looking at?

I will be buying from a LBS, just trying to figure out if any geometry, gearing, etc are easier on the old bones.

I did stop by a shop and saw some BMC's and Orbea's but bike prices have gone up since 1991.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you ride and what are your goals? Are you riding for fitness only, or will some other activity also become important? Describe what kind of riding you enjoyed in the past.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you live in Kentucky, and, specifically, in Louisville? We have a large, active, and on occasion helpful cycling population. You can shoot me a PM (actually, you can't until your post count reaches 50) if you'd like.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the local bike shops and find one you are comfortable with. One that is helpful and willing to spend some time with you. For me that key, as it takes time to get a proper fit on a bike you want someone that willing to take the time. Good luck have fun.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky Bud View Post

I will be buying from a LBS, just trying to figure out if any geometry, gearing, etc are easier on the old bones.

I did stop by a shop and saw some BMC's and Orbea's but bike prices have gone up since 1991.
    BMC and Orbea are not the usual stock for a run of the mill LBS But they are good bikes.

But before the bikes- Find the LBS. The one that will treat you right and help you get back into Cycling. That could be the difficult part.

I take it you are looking for a road bike and a few do stick out as Favourites on this form. One of which is the Specialized Roubaix and the Other the Giant Defy. Various forms and prices but there are a lot of other makes that are just as suitable. Make of bike will probably be one of those that your eventual LBS carry and within price groups- most bikes are of equivalent quality.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 610, Cannondale Bad Boy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    BMC and Orbea are not the usual stock for a run of the mill LBS But they are good bikes.

But before the bikes- Find the LBS. The one that will treat you right and help you get back into Cycling. That could be the difficult part.

I take it you are looking for a road bike and a few do stick out as Favourites on this form. One of which is the Specialized Roubaix and the Other the Giant Defy. Various forms and prices but there are a lot of other makes that are just as suitable. Make of bike will probably be one of those that your eventual LBS carry and within price groups- most bikes are of equivalent quality.

+1. Most adult nonracing riders would prefer what the bike trade calls "endurance" geometry, like the Roubaix or the Defy. The Cannondale Synapse line and Felt's Z series are two more. I've been shopping lately and so far have preferred the Giant Defy Composite with a SRAM Apex group.

Some adult riders who haven't ridden since they were kids get a fitness hybrid (flat bar) bike, but if you're a previously experienced cyclist I assume you'll want a bike with drop bars.
    Only mad dogs, Englishmen, and triathletes go out in the mid day sun.

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Initial Fit, Then Come The Adaptations...

Quote Originally Posted by FormerFF View Post
    +1. Most adult nonracing riders would prefer what the bike trade calls "endurance" geometry, like the Roubaix or the Defy. The Cannondale Synapse line and Felt's Z series are two more. I've been shopping lately and so far have preferred the Giant Defy Composite with a SRAM Apex group.

Some adult riders who haven't ridden since they were kids get a fitness hybrid (flat bar) bike, but if you're a previously experienced cyclist I assume you'll want a bike with drop bars.
    ^^^All good advice. I would add that as you begin to ride your new bike, and become experienced with your particular situation, you will develop your own sense of what works and what must change. All this to say, go for it. If your initial bike fits you properly and you get going...the rest will take care of itself.

If you become passionate about riding - watch out. More bikes may be in your future...

PG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

25+ years and 25 pounds for me since I was last on a road bike. Just bought a Specialized Secteur, which is the aluminum version of the Roubaix. Super happy with it so far. I went with the Apex group mostly for the gear range, plus that's what my LBS mechanic personally rides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    Where do you ride and what are your goals? Are you riding for fitness only, or will some other activity also become important? Describe what kind of riding you enjoyed in the past.
    Mostly riding for fitness. I've done a few centuries and a lot of club rides. I want a comfortable bike that I can put in 2-3 hour rides on weekends and short rides after work. Maybe do 1-2 longer rides (MS-150?) a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Do you live in Kentucky, and, specifically, in Louisville? We have a large, active, and on occasion helpful cycling population. You can shoot me a PM (actually, you can't until your post count reaches 50) if you'd like.
    I live in Boone county, just south of Cincinnati.

Good information!! Yes, I want drop bars. Gearing is also important as it is hilly around here and my legs aren't what they used to be.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So yer wonna dem Northern Kentucky boys who thinks he's better than everbody else

It's plenty hilly here, and I suspect it's even hillier where you live. Although they're slowly going out of style for no very good reason, I'd suggest a triple crank. My road bike had a 50/39/30 chainring and a 12/25 cassette. I didn't use the granny gear much but I was thankful to have it when I needed it, especially for that last big hill at the end of a long ride.

Some will tell you to go with a double and a more spaced out cassette, but I think the triple with a tighter cassette works well for our area.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly riding for fitness. I've done a few centuries and a lot of club rides. I want a comfortable bike that I can put in 2-3 hour rides on weekends and short rides after work. Maybe do 1-2 longer rides (MS-150?) a year.

I live in Boone county, just south of Cincinnati.

Good information!! Yes, I want drop bars. Gearing is also important as it is hilly around here and my legs aren't what they used to be.
    Most of what you'll be looking at has what's called a "compact" crankset, typically a 50/34 chainring. Shimano equipped bikes usually have a 12-30 cassette, while SRAM Apex bikes often have an 11-32 cassette. Most road going triples will have a 30 tooth small chainring and a 30 tooth big cassette sprocket, so you're not giving up much to that triple as far as ratios go, and you're saving a little weight, have a narrower crankset and less duplication over your gear range. Plus, I think the two position front derailleur is easier to deal with and shifts more reliablythan does a triple. If you want lower gearing than that, you'll have to go to a bike with a long cage derailleur, like a touring bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure and test the bike on some hills . That will tell you if a compact will be enough,or if you need a triple .

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of what you'll be looking at has what's called a "compact" crankset, typically a 50/34 chainring. Shimano equipped bikes usually have a 12-30 cassette, while SRAM Apex bikes often have an 11-32 cassette. Most road going triples will have a 30 tooth small chainring and a 30 tooth big cassette sprocket, so you're not giving up much to that triple as far as ratios go, and you're saving a little weight, have a narrower crankset and less duplication over your gear range. Plus, I think the two position front derailleur is easier to deal with and shifts more reliablythan does a triple. If you want lower gearing than that, you'll have to go to a bike with a long cage derailleur, like a touring bike.
    Keep in mind that the 30 tooth ring on a road triple can be easily changed to a 28, 26 or 24 tooth ring for even lower gearing. A compact double can't touch that. I'll never understand why 30 is the standard for road triples.

Duplication of gear ratios is a good thing. It means you are more likely to be able to find the next lower or higher gear using the chainring you are in rather than needing to make a front shift.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 05-17-12 at 08:19 AM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After 20 years and 20 pounds I'm getting the itch to get back into cycling. I'm just starting to kick tires and will try to take a few test rides soon. I had a Trek 5200 some years ago that I gave to my son, but bike equipment has changed a bit since I last rode.

If you go to Reser, they will do a good fitting. If you go to Montgomery, you get Specialized, Cannondale, Cervelo. Both appear to be good shops.

At age 58, get the best bike you can afford. If you want slightly relaxed, its like the Specialized Roubaix. Take a good look at your old bike, the one you gave to your son. Is it a triple?

the Cervelo dealership near me allows a customer to test ride for a couple of days. The Cervelo RS is like the Specialized Roubaix.
    Last edited by Garfield Cat; 05-17-12 at 08:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
    If you go to Reser, they will do a good fitting. If you go to Montgomery, you get Specialized, Cannondale, Cervelo. Both appear to be good shops.

At age 58, get the best bike you can afford. If you want slightly relaxed, its like the Specialized Roubaix. Take a good look at your old bike, the one you gave to your son. Is it a triple?

the Cervelo dealership near me allows a customer to test ride for a couple of days. The Cervelo RS is like the Specialized Roubaix.
    I was impressed with Reser. They're definitely on my lbs shops. I bought a couple bikes for the wife and daughter at Montgomery and was not impressed. The salesman wasn't too concerned about fit, only what he had sitting on the floor.

I also want to check out the Trek store in Cincy.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you feel compelled to own the same bike as the Pro's now race on,
    since mid life crisis has hit but you cannot justify the Porsche?
    Yea Those prices are rather staggering

Treks/Felts, are sold nearby .. Madones with a 105 groupset are pretty darned decent.
    though the Hydro-forming technology for shaping Aluminum tubes,
    to suit the stresses in that part of the bike frame ,
    is pretty darned Impressive.. ride fine, cost less ..

LBS, here stocks middle and lower price points ,
    because that is what people here, find affordable..

I'm more a ride to get there cyclist, myself .. year around,
    my bike choices are different. Love the 'heavy' Rohloff Hubs!
    Last edited by fietsbob; 05-17-12 at 03:50 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in your area. The usual compact setup with 50-34 front and 12-27 rear will be fine for most hills. With your previous experience, you shouldn't have any problem picking out a bike you like. Let the shop know you plan to ride for a few hours at a time, and will be working up to longer distance rides.
    A triple or a wide range Apex cassette would help on the steepest climbs. For instance, Big Jimmy Rd. 8.6% average grade. But most group rides don't do those really steep climbs.

For group rides, check out the Cincinnati Ride Line. You can sign up (free) to get the notices emailed to you. There's a wide range of rides listed.
    Last edited by rm -rf; 05-17-12 at 08:15 PM.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 620, 2010 Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting back into riding and in the market

18 years and 60 lb for me...

But I still had my old bike (1983 Trek 620) so I could start riding without buying another bike.

That was in January. Cycling has helped me lose 40 lb and I'm enjoying it more than ever.

As a result i'm shopping for a modern bike; probably a Specialized Roubaix...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't overlook a trike.

Over the last 8 months I've owned one, I've let about 10 people (all "middle aged) try it; over half of them bought one. The other half want one...

http://www.catrike.com/ is a pretty good quality brand.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendo252 View Post
    18 years and 60 lb for me...

But I still had my old bike (1983 Trek 620) so I could start riding without buying another bike.

That was in January. Cycling has helped me lose 40 lb and I'm enjoying it more than ever.

As a result i'm shopping for a modern bike; probably a Specialized Roubaix...
    Duuuude, I have an '84 Trek 610, rode it most of last year until I hurt my knee on it. Now I'm out shopping for more gears.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get the Cervelo RS at the entry level for $2,600 and it will be more than you can handle. Plush but still responsive.

My Bikes
    Sab, Diamondback MB, Kawasiki MB, Huffy hybrid fixed gear junk yard build, Huffy cruiser motorized.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well a good hybrid would be a starting point. I like diamondbacks as they are affordable and so far have all worked well for me. You can get them on Amazon if you have the skills to research how to put it together and fit it to you.

You will need to follow that up with a solid built road bike for the long tours when you want to cover some ground on the roads. Good for charity rides also. I went with a Denali 700C 21 speed. Several hundred miles on it with no problems. But it was a Wal-Mart bike and the only thing available in the area at the time. I solid used bike could be purchased for the same money in larger cities.

Now after you have pedaled off the 20 pounds the overwhelming desire for a fast bike will take you. I ended up with a Sab carbon fiber, *currently 18 pounds. I am slow as a goat but I feel like I am flying. And lifting it up with my pinky impresses my wife.

Early own I also went garage sales, junk yarding and dumpster diving acquired a Giant, a USA made Huffy Scout, China cruiser, and full suspension 24” Next for the wife. A little work and they are all functioning bikes.

The Huffy Scout I convert to slicks with a single speed 52tooth on 17tooth gear. Fun to ride when you got know options but pedal harder. I have also rebuilt and given away a few 20” kids bikes that I found here and there.

Dude you so jammed up now, better just by a good pair of walking shoes…

Seriously the higher end bikes are sweet, but a good fitting bike will make a huge difference in how you enjoy the ride. I would set your cap, go to a reputable bike shop in your area and get something fitted to you. Are see if they would put one together and fit it if you ordered it of the internet. 100 are so would be well spent for a fitting, especially if you paid attention and learned why ever thing needs to be where it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Live in Boone County also, what a small world.... I have been riding a Specialized Sirrus Sport since August and in combination with counting calories i have lost 77 pounds!! I just put a Secteur Elite in layaway at Montgomery Cyclery Thursday, hope to pick it up June 8th in time for ride Cincinnati. I live by Kinman Farms if you are familiar with KY18. I have my Sirrus Sport on craigslist for sale. If you live close by, i would be interested in riding with you, gets a little lonely sometimes out there!! Keep in touch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleNKY View Post
    I Live in Boone County also, what a small world.... I have been riding a Specialized Sirrus Sport since August and in combination with counting calories i have lost 77 pounds!! I just put a Secteur Elite in layaway at Montgomery Cyclery Thursday, hope to pick it up June 8th in time for ride Cincinnati. I live by Kinman Farms if you are familiar with KY18. I have my Sirrus Sport on craigslist for sale. If you live close by, i would be interested in riding with you, gets a little lonely sometimes out there!! Keep in touch.
    Good to hear from you!!!

We'll have to meet up some time and go for a spin. I'm just getting back into riding and am only doing 5 - 8 mile rides right now on an old mountain bike. Out of town for the next couple of weeks, so it may be a bit.

I'm in Verona but very familiar with KY 18. Hope to get in touch soon.

Bud