Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've herd of this but never thought it would happen to me.

On the way home it got real windy and across the road came this large white plastic kitchen bag. I thought I had missed it but alas, no such luck. It good two of us about 30 minutes to extricate the derailiure and cassette from the bag. Thank goodness it was only 104 degrees at the time. Luckily there was some shade by the little tree that supported the bike.

0.jpeg
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's one way to keep your cassette clean; wrap it in plastic. Glad it didn't take you down.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang near hot enough to melt the bag off the bike, wasnt it?

Glad you didnt wind up in our War Stories thread
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That happened to me once. Not only did it get tangled in all the works, but also it caused my rear wheel to come to a quick dead stop and warped the wheel a bit.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Far out. Glad you are okay.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good grief! It looks like it has beenhermetically sealed!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    It good two of us about 30 minutes to extricate the derailiure and cassette from the bag. Thank goodness it was only 104 degrees at the time. Luckily there was some shade by the little tree that supported the bike.
    Glad you got the bag out. Isn't it strange what trouble some innocent objects can be. Once I ran over a packet of half and half from Mc D's. The fat from the half and half lubed my rim and made it nearly impossible to brake.

You mention an important point for summer riders. If you have to make repairs in the heat, first find shade. You get less cooling standing still than when you are riding, and if you are having to stop mid-ride, you are already hotter than the average person. Drink plenty of water too.

I'm glad it all turned out well.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen it happen while watching Paris-Roubaix Bicycle Race on TV, in the late '80s. 2 riders escaped from the pack, all alone and approaching the finish line. Each watching the other trying to figure out a tactic to beat the other, when a small plastic bag blew into one's rear derailluer, leaving him stuck in the gear he was in (not the gear he would choose to do the final sprint in), sealing his fate. When the sprint started to the line, his now fixed-gear-bike was no match for the other rider who wound up a gear or two higher, to easily take the victory.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had something similar happen to me on the Desert Classic on May 5. There was a trash bag on Carefree Hwy that blew into my bike as we rode by. I thought it just caught my toe, but when I stopped found it starting to wind around my rear axle. Not a big deal, except the effort required to catch the paceline again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giro D'Italia's Pink jersey wearer, Garmin-Barracuda's Navardaurkus, came close to this with his Giro leader's riding jacket last week. He was trying to hand it off to a domestique and it slipped into the rear wheel at the brake. Luckily he felt it and managed to pull it back and with some help from the other rider they pulled it out without stopping. I'd have been flat on my butt and sliding along if that was me.

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 05-17-12 at 07:22 AM.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool pic. Can you post a larger version somewhere. I'd like to use it as a background somewhere. (Presumptuous request. Any advice on watermarking or copyrighting? Anyone? Buehler? Anyone?)
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Five years ago a cycling mentor gave me one of those wonderful nuggets of advice that you remember for life:

"If when you're riding you see a plastic bag being blown towards you, STOP PEDALING!"

The derailleur hanger you save could be your own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a good friend who was riding on a rainy, windy day wearing a plastic rain poncho when the wind caught the end of the poncho and it wrapped around the rear derailleur bring him to a halt.
    This was some 20 years ago before any of us knew about cycling rain gear.

My Bikes
    Trek Mtn Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blowing loose waste always makes me nervous. I had a friend who bought a new Mustang a few yrs ago. She ran over a blanket in the road. Unknown to her it got caught 'tween the front hub and tire. Long story short the resulting fire totalled her mustang.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh, did anyone read the title of this thread, and think of "Letters to Penthouse"? Just sayin....
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.