Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Making progress just kinda slow.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 12:02 AM

Bikes: '09 fisher zembrano, '92 schwinn frontier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back about the middle of March I got the bike out and started riding. I also started watching what I eat and making better choice, no more morning donuts (free donuts at work made this hard), smaller portions and more salads, chicken and fish. Also a couple weeks after I started they started a Biggest Loser contest at work which I signed up for. As of today I have lost 14 lbs going from 273 to 259.
The guy leading the contest at work has already lost 27 lbs so I doubt I can catch him byJuly 1st. Anyone have any tips or things that worked for them that I might include to help me out.
Old 05-16-12, 12:15 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't try to catch him. The prize you want to win is not that on offer for the biggest loser contest, it is that you keep off the weight you lose. If you've lost 14lbs in two months that is plenty fast enough, and is something you may be able to sustain. Those who take weight off faster than that tend to do so by diets they can manage for only a short time, and when they stop the diet, the weight piles back on.
Old 05-16-12, 12:35 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
That careful eating with exercise is the trick. Cut back on fats and sugars and soda's and dare I say it alcohol. Note I said cut back and not out as you do need some fat and sugar but not the soda's.

I am not at all heavy but when I put on a few lbs I just look at what I eat. Home cooked food and a bit less of it and it goes fairly quickly.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-16-12, 04:48 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whole wheat bread instead of white bread.
Old 05-16-12, 05:29 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The real key is making permanent and sustainable changes to your diet.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-16-12, 05:36 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
You are winning just by the fact you are losing weight and you have improved your diet and eating habits. The riding is icing on the cake to me. I am doing the exact same thing you are and use the fact I can ride as my reward for being alert to what and when I eat. Keep up the great work and your riding.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-16-12, 06:51 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
1-2 lbs per week. Looks like you are on track. The contest is with yourself, nobody else. Everyone is different. Don't play that game.
Old 05-16-12, 07:20 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
1-2 lbs per week. Looks like you are on track. The contest is with yourself, nobody else. Everyone is different. Don't play that game.
I was coming in here to say the same thing.

Do not shock your system with a diet program....how much moreso when you are trying to get somewhere (punfully intended) with biking progress. If you are losing 2lbs per week that is excellent progress!

Ignore these new advertised wraps you put around your gut and hope to lose realtime weight. Nonsense and you pay for it. Then there is the vidalis or vitalis shake program where you become part of a pyramid scheme and make money while you lose weight. I have a friend doing this. Me? I just keep riding, watch my portions and eat sensibly.

Do not overcompensate in your eating to keep up with biking, that is dont think you can eat a pizza because you had a ride. Common sense. Stay hungry. If you arent hungry you arent losing weight.

I need to lose 10lbs. Currently I'm at 179lbs, 5'9 athletic build. Even at the lower bodyfat I can still lose 2lbs per week by riding and watching portion control at the table.

Dont cheat.
Old 05-16-12, 08:00 AM

Bikes: GT Carbon Grade, Jamis Nova Pro, Giant Sedona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are doing the right thing and are seeing the results. What you will find is that the more attention you pay to what you are eating the more results you will continue to see. It's a positive cycle if you commit to making the change.
Old 05-16-12, 08:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words and tips. I have no intention of trying to catch the guy at work, he's doing a thousand calorie a day diet mainly to win the contest. Also four lbs of my weight loss came before the contest started and do not count. I only got into the contest because I thought it would provide a little more motivation. My son (24yo) has also started biking since running has been causing pain in his knee. So far he really likes it and having him ride with me has also has motivated me to ride a little longer and harder but, nothing crazy I am 36 years older than him.
Old 05-17-12, 06:33 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
You win in life Ken, riding, loosing weight sensibly and most importantly to me, you are riding and spending time with your son. Time well spent, sir.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-17-12, 07:08 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Keep up the great work. And it is work, I know. Those free donuts at work would kill me, as I have two distinct "problems" when it comes to food - donuts/pastries and anything that's free. It's almost like on some primeval level deep in my brain stem I just know I'll never see free food ever again, even though it continually pops up here and there. It's best I avoid it completely.
Old 05-18-12, 05:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trust me , the free donuts mock me everytime I go past the break room. Before I started this I was eating at least two a day sometimes three and I am embarassed to say every now and then four. I work in a supermarket so I am surrounded by food all day and there always seems to be something free in the breakroom. Luckly I only work three days a week and I try to eat no more than 200-350 calories while I am there.
Old 05-18-12, 06:24 AM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Don't try to catch him. The prize you want to win is not that on offer for the biggest loser contest, it is that you keep off the weight you lose. If you've lost 14lbs in two months that is plenty fast enough, and is something you may be able to sustain. Those who take weight off faster than that tend to do so by diets they can manage for only a short time, and when they stop the diet, the weight piles back on.
+1
Old 05-18-12, 04:26 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Once you have your weight where you want it the best way to keep it off is to weigh yourself regularly so you know when you are getting back into the danger zone.
Old 05-18-12, 05:06 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
Once you have your weight where you want it the best way to keep it off is to weigh yourself regularly so you know when you are getting back into the danger zone.
+1 but don't do it all the time. Weight naturally fluctuates. I weigh myself first thing in the AM on Tuesday and on Friday.
Old 05-18-12, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job, keep up the good work! Like others have said, 2 pounds a week is healthy weight loss. Be consistent, if you fall off the wagon one day, don't quit, your in it for the long haul. It's been 18 months since I started my lifestyle change and I'm down from 265 to 186 and feel great.

Tip: drink lots of water, it's good for your system and helps you feel full.