Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fizik Aliante

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fizik Aliante

Old 05-18-12, 08:47 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fizik Aliante

I currently ride a Aliante which is several years old. I'm thinking about buying a new one. Does anyone know if the saddle shape has changed over the years?
Old 05-18-12, 09:09 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't think the shape has changed but from memory I believe there are a few variants that may be down to material or Price and they may ride differently.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-18-12, 10:40 AM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 703 Posts
I have an Aliante on all three of my bikes:

- a 2005 Aliante Sport Mg
- a 2010 Aliante Gamma Vs
- a 2011 Aliante Carbon/ki:um

The shape (both "floorplan" and "elevation" views) is essentially identical. The Vs obviously has a different surface contour, what with its "perenial notch" or whatever-the-heck that dickslot is called.

The most egregious difference however is that the rails attach at slightly different points on the saddles, and so just because one Aliante works with your bike fit doesn't mean you can get another set up identically. This imho is inexcusable, a real source of frustration for me.
Old 05-18-12, 02:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the Aliante a comfortable saddle?

I was talking to a long distance racer/cyclist last weekend. He said for long rides (200+ miles), he said he's riding a steel frame bike. So I asked if he's riding a Brooks saddle. Nope, said he's riding an Aliante, it just works for him.

So naturally, this got me thinking about an Aliante.
Old 05-18-12, 02:22 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Regardless of what anyone says about a saddle, it's going to come down to fit and personal preference/experience. Is there any LBS around that will let you test ride? I test road a specialized Avatar Gel for about 5 days and then went back to the LBS to test out a Fizik(but don't recall the model). I didn't even get 4 miles before I turned around and returned the Fizik. I ended up buying the Avatar. But, what works or doesn't work for me, or for anyone else, may not work or work for you. Test ride a saddle.

Bike Beat in our area sell Bontrager saddles, not the LBS I use, and their policy, or rather Bontrager's policy, is that you have, I believe, 90 days to return the saddle for a refund. In order to test, you have to purchase the saddle, but a 90 day return is pretty good.
Old 05-18-12, 02:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
Regardless of what anyone says about a saddle, it's going to come down to fit and personal preference/experience. Is there any LBS around that will let you test ride? I test road a specialized Avatar Gel for about 5 days and then went back to the LBS to test out a Fizik(but don't recall the model). I didn't even get 4 miles before I turned around and returned the Fizik. I ended up buying the Avatar. But, what works or doesn't work for me, or for anyone else, may not work or work for you. Test ride a saddle.
Yes, completely agree. I'm on my 3rd saddle in less then a year. The current saddle (Toupe 155) is working pretty well, except I have no real experience to know exactly how a saddle should feel. Unless you can try 20+ different saddles, how does anyone ever really know if their current saddle is really the perfect saddle for them?

My LBS's have a limited selection of saddles without any trial and exchange program.

Sorry for diverting this thread, didn't mean to....

Back to Aliante......I take it this saddle works well for Bob and curdog?
Old 05-18-12, 03:46 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Aliante as well, but, there's at least one model without the Twin-Flex feature, or whatever...I would avoid that one. I have it on a tandem and on long rides it starts feeling like an ass hatchet.
Old 05-18-12, 06:09 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Aliante. Think I'm going to order the Aliante Kurve from Competetive Cyclist. They have a no question asked return policy within 60 days of purchase.