Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Summer time goals... Whats yours?

With summertime a couple weeks away, I am looking forward to my time loosening up a bit with school letting out and my drivers ed schedule trimming down to a 5:00pm shut down time, and no weekend work through the summer months. I am looking forward to weekday evening rides and longer rides of 50 miles or more on the weekends. One of my goals this summer is to do a mini-debit card tour. The plan is to ride from my house to Cameron Louisiana, 58 miles. This route will take me through the Sabine National Wildlife Refuge. There is very little traffic on this highway so I feel it is relatively safe, because it is very remote. Motel stay over in Cameron then back home the next day. My first tour... Thats my goal for this summer.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    Jamis Nova Pro, Giant Sedona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is to ride my first century.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep on riding - more early riding rides like leaving at 5:00 or 5:30 am for 20 - 30 miles, and on the way back get a good swim in. Continue weight lifting/resistive exercises, and continue to prove that even at 72, one can increase weights. Continue stretching. Get rid of this othersome Achilles tendon ache. Figure out what is going on with my left hip - appt scheduled with doc in 2 weeks.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-17-12 at 06:55 AM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanchje View Post
    Yeah, me too. I think I have the energy, just never have the time or opportunity.

Also want to do one or more tours on the tandem. Start short, work up to longer distance.

My sweetie wants to do a century on the tandem. (That might kill me but it's worth trying.)
    Last edited by jimmuller; 05-17-12 at 06:32 AM.
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a metric century last week. I want to continue to ride 300km+ a week between 5am training rides, commuting, and long weekend rides. I want to ride at least 1200km every month, and ride a 160km in one day within the next few months.

I also want to bring my weight down to optimum at about 88kg and try and reduce my body fat to 10% from the 15% I'm at the moment. If I could do something about building some upper body muscles back and trimming down the excess skin thats left over from my 103kg days it would be nice as well.

Lots of goals yes, but considering I've managed to lose 15kg, increase my weekly distance from a sad 100km per week to 300km, reduce my use of the motorcycle to 25km a week on one day (sadly time doesn't allow me to commute by bike that day), and bring my blood work from edging out to the danger zone to all in the green I consider it doable.

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Summer goals as of today:
    1. to be released by the Obnoxious disease, er, I mean Infectious Disease physician to ride by 21 May 2012.
    2. to ride a minimum of 5 days a week and 10 miles per ride, with some hills (as much as we have hills here in pool table land.)
    3. to ride at 18-20 mph rate for my rides, up from the 17 mph avg. right now.
    4. to ride at least a Half Century by the end of the year.
    5. to not have another surgery anytime soon or in the future for that matter. 16 is enough .
    6. to enjoy everyone here at 50+ daily and to be a constructive member.

Bill
    Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm kind of undefined this year. So are my goals.

Seriously, I'm having a blast just riding with the new club/team, and racking up miles at a much faster pace than last year. No triathlons in my future this season (last year I did the bike portion of an Olympic distance relay tri), but I'll probably continue to run a few 5ks. And if a century opportunity presents itself in the latter part of the seaon, I'll probably grab it, along with Hilly Hundred again. BTW, the hammerheads in the club I just joined like to do two laps of HH each day, making it two full, hilly centuries in two days. Think I may pass on that option.

Oh, and of course, there's my second Tour de Cure coming up at the Speedway on June 9. Anyone who cares to contribute will be gratefully acknowledged. Just follow the link in my sig.
    Craig in Indy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To make it to the finish of this ride: http://www.winthefight.org/granfondo...tic_metric.htm

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My goals are :
    1.) To be ready and confident in riding my first century in September.

2.) To learn to become a decent bike mechanic and therefore be an asset to the County Bike Share program for which I have volunteered. (First lesson in bike repair is next week!)

3.) To ride, at least once, with a local riding club.

4.) To not let any threads on BF50+ grind my gears to the extent that I don't want to be here.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Summer goals as of today:
    1. to be released by the Obnoxious disease, er, I mean Infectious Disease physician to ride by 21 May 2012.
    2. to ride a minimum of 5 days a week and 10 miles per ride, with some hills (as much as we have hills here in pool table land.)
    3. to ride at 18-20 mph rate for my rides, up from the 17 mph avg. right now.
    4. to ride at least a Half Century by the end of the year.
    5. to not have another surgery anytime soon or in the future for that matter. 16 is enough .
    6. to enjoy everyone here at 50+ daily and to be a constructive member.

Bill
    My prayers for the your first goal; I am confident that you can handle the rest on your own!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
    To make it to the finish of this ride: http://www.winthefight.org/granfondo...tic_metric.htm
    That looks like a very challenging ride. Good luck!

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same goal as always, ride lots.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride early and late to keep cool.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get back to doing long (for me) rides 30-50 miles.

Keep using the TRX and get my arms back.

Walk around the block (mine is 5 miles round with a hill like Mt Doom) a few times.

Gonna say this, and I'll prob regret it. I've been tire dragging again. Last year I increased
    the difficulty too fast and nearly ripped my feet apart. I'd like to drag the tire a mile.
    Naw, won't make it, but what the hell.
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by late View Post
    Get back to doing long (for me) rides 30-50 miles.

Keep using the TRX and get my arms back.

Walk around the block (mine is 5 miles round with a hill like Mt Doom) a few times.

Gonna say this, and I'll prob regret it. I've been tire dragging again. Last year I increased
    the difficulty too fast and nearly ripped my feet apart. I'd like to drag the tire a mile.
    Naw, won't make it, but what the hell.
    Tire dragging? Okay, what the heck is tire dragging?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post

Tire dragging? Okay, what the heck is tire dragging?
    Just something dumb people do. Mine is only a 17 inch truck tire, but once out of the driveway I have to head up a gentle incline,
    and that makes a big difference in difficulty.

It is very, very effective.

You can get a used tire free anyplace they sell tires. Have them punch a hole, a big one, in the middle of the thread.
    Loop a few feet of chain through the tire. Then any rope will connect that to a backpack. I have a nice old (close to 30 years old)
    daypack with padded straps. The padded straps are real helpful here.

Start doing just the driveway, and add distance/difficulty slowly. I am real serious here, on a whim I headed up a steep incline
    and then spent months in therapy. You can get tires as big as you want.
    However, you can also put dumbells or other weights in the tire and that has more of an effect than you might think.

It works the backs of the legs, butt, back and core (assuming resistance is enough that you are leaning into it).
    That balances off the front of the leg development you get on the bike.

Stewart Brand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a very challenging ride. Good luck!
    Made it 32 miles last year. I'm pretty sure I can do it this year. But, we will see.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by late View Post
    Just something dumb people do. Mine is only a 17 inch truck tire, but once out of the driveway I have to head up a gentle incline,
    and that makes a big difference in difficulty.

It is very, very effective.

You can get a used tire free anyplace they sell tires. Have them punch a hole, a big one, in the middle of the thread.
    Loop a few feet of chain through the tire. Then any rope will connect that to a backpack. I have a nice old (close to 30 years old)
    daypack with padded straps. The padded straps are real helpful here.

Start doing just the driveway, and add distance/difficulty slowly. I am real serious here, on a whim I headed up a steep incline
    and then spent months in therapy. You can get tires as big as you want.
    However, you can also put dumbells or other weights in the tire and that has more of an effect than you might think.

It works the backs of the legs, butt, back and core (assuming resistance is enough that you are leaning into it).
    That balances off the front of the leg development you get on the bike.

Oh; yeah I know about tire dragging... we used to do that at football spring training. I thought you meant you were gonna do that on a bike...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh; yeah I know about tire dragging... we used to do that at football spring training. I thought you meant you were gonna do that on a bike...
    The year Conti stopped making the TT 2000 I got a pair real cheap and put them on Sis' bike.

She is tougher than a boiled owl, and never, ever complains.

She complained.

So I put them on my bike, and went on the easiest ride in the state, the Lighthouse Loop.

It's short, it's very easy.

At the end of it my legs literally felt like they were cooked, like you could
    pull them out of the hip socket without much work.

We've all had brakes drag, gone uphill into a stiff wind. Drives me nuts.

I gave them away.
    Stewart Brand

Man of constant sorrow Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Same goal as always, ride lots.
    Works for me, too.

I'm keeping a eye out on the schedule to see when the next populaire is. I'd like to ride a few more this year if I can. The first one I did really kicked my butt.

Several times a year the LBC puts on a flat century, and I'll do that one for sure if circumstances allow.

I'd like to do a robust century as well. Not sure I'm quite up to it yet.

Finally, there is a Dairy Queen located in Eminence, 38 miles away. I'd like to ride there and back. It would not be an easy ride, so I could probably get a Blizzard and break even.
    Possunt quia posse videntur. St. Dudel: Epic is stupid that you get away with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since Goals were mentioned: Holland to win Euro2012.

rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanchje View Post
    Ditto and I'd like to do it in six hours. For a long time I've also wanted to do more than 20 miles on the road in one hour so I'm going to give that a go one of these weekends.

Man of constant sorrow Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting name, fairymuff.

Anyways, just looked at the future club rides and the flat century is coming first week of June and there is a populaire on the 4th of July. Yowza. Both are doable if I can accumulate enough family tokens.
    Possunt quia posse videntur. St. Dudel: Epic is stupid that you get away with.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live thru it, I'm 65 in October, so I can draw out what little Social Security is left
    before the fascists kill the program, and pocket the account..

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Actually use my gym membership, to increase core stength, make my upper body look less like Andy Schleck's, and improve flexibility.
    2. Continue to improve speed skills (cornering, pedal stroke, cadence, smoothness, slipperiness).
    3. Build a solid endurance base
    4. Learn to Time Trial
    5. Complete a bathroom remodel project... should be higher up the list!
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast