Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with choice of Mirror, Please.

I bought a Helmet Mirror (Blackburn brand) this morning. I am going to try to return it because I found this mirror to be totally useless. To see a vehicle coming you have to try to get your head in just the right position, you can’t be off even the slightest bit. While you are getting your head in the right position you are being distracted from what is in front of you (like a pot hole). Once you get your head in just the right position, then you have to be on a perfectly smooth road or the mirror will vibrate so bad you still can’t seen anything. Is my experience with a Helmet Mirror unique or do others experience the same thing?

What type of mirror do you use or recommend?
    Last edited by GrandaddyBiker; 05-17-12 at 05:15 PM.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried them all. This one works for me.

http://www.messengermirror.com/

None are perfect.

Adjust it to be just off from your left ear.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like these I have both the bar end type and the STI type and both work very well.

I have mine set to just look at that place for a car coming up on me when riding straight. I can move my head a little right to left if needed. But to see other traffic I still look around over my shoulder. At night this type mirror shows the lights coming up really nice giving me time to move over on the shoulder.

http://www.mirrycle.com/mirrycle_mirrors.php

What's not in your legs needs to be in your gears.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my eyeglass mounted Chuck Harris Ultra-light mirror. I have tried helmet mounts (my helmet bounces too much on a rough surface) and bar end mounts (often knocked out by my knee) and found eyeglass mounted mirrors to work the best. Of course if you don't wear glasses it could be a problem.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
    I like these I have both the bar end type and the STI type and both work very well.

I have mine set to just look at that place for a car coming up on me when riding straight. I can move my head a little right to left if needed. But to see other traffic I still look around over my shoulder. At night this type mirror shows the lights coming up really nice giving me time to move over on the shoulder.

I've used the mountain bike Mirrycle for years on my drop bar road bike. Have been pretty satisfied with it, but since it jiggles a lot, I've tried several other types lately. The eyeglass mounted mirror I tried was awful. Never could figure out how to adjust it so all I had to do is look at it. I guess my biggest issue is that I had to drastically change my focal point from distant down the road to looking at something just a couple inches from my eyeball. I recently purchased Sprintech bar end mirrors and am quite happy with them. I only wish they were not convex, but they don't vibrate, are easy to install and adjust, and don't look half bad. Kind of expensive, but I like them well enough that I'm getting a second pair for my other bike.

Amazon link to the Sprintech Drop Bar Mirror.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mirrors are sort of a personal thing. What works for one does not work for another. For example, I tried one of those mirrors that mount to the helmet but having that thing hanging out there drove me crazy. But I have friends who love them. I also tried a mirrycle, but it vibrated so much on rough roads (and chipseal) that I could not really see anything in the mirror. You may have to experiment a little to see what works for you.

After much trial-n-error, I ride with one of these stuck into the end of my drop bar. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Third-Eye-Bar-...cmu_pg__header

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this:

Go to AMAZON and enter "Sprintech" - though I'm sure there are other brands as well. I've used these for quite a while, and a few club members have started using them as well.

And ... you they don't look 'dorky'
    Regards,
    Duncan

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using CycleAware mirrors for about 8-10 years.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast after the car-bike accident. R.I.P.
    * * 2014 or 2015 CAAD 10 3 coming soon. Decision time. * *

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This by far the best bar end mirror I have used on a bike. I have the same problems as the OP with helmet and glasses mounted mirrors.
    http://tinyurl.com/82e3jv9

DSCF0722 by BluesDawg, on Flickr
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried helmet and eyeglass mirrors, none worked for me. This does
    Mirror1.jpg

http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Mercha...ry_Code=MIRROR

Looks a lot like what BD uses, I have had these on all my bikes for the past 5 or 6 years.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, '03 Colnago Dream Lux, several older family Treks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mirrcyle on my MTB, works great. Tried the helmet mirror, didn't give the same field of view and always knocking it out of alignment.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Mirror1.jpg

Looks a lot like what BD uses, I have had these on all my bikes for the past 5 or 6 years.
    My favorite as well.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 620, 2010 Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with choice of Mirror, Please.

Give it a try for a few rides and you'll find you like it.

Within a few hours you'll find you can see what you need to see instantly, and with much less distraction than turning your head to look.

My Bikes
    Rans Fusion, Rans Cruz, '93 Specialized Stumpjumper, "72 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried everything..... this one works best for me, by far.....
    http://www.amazon.com/Third-Eye-Eyeg.../dp/B000BDJP66
    ..... if you don't wear prescription glasses, wear a pair of sunglasses for that "cool-dorky" look. After getting used to it, I now feel naked & vulnerable without it. While most bike mirrors have their particular compromising deficiencies, the positive aspects of this type of mirror work best for me.
    Last edited by raymeedc; 05-18-12 at 04:23 AM.
    Lightning Thunderbolt A-10
    Bike E AT
    '06 Rans Fusion
    '11 Rans Cruz

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a Look mirror works for me mounted on the visor of my helmet. Mirrors like this take a little getting used to - I've used mirrors similar to this for 30+ years and am used to them.

talm%20original%20and%20compact.jpg

http://www.pacelineproducts.com/Cate...k_Mirrors.aspx
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    I've been using CycleAware mirrors for about 8-10 years.
    that or if you prefer a glasses mounted mirror nothing beats the Take-A-Look. I disagree that none are perfect. Both of these are, it's all about knowing how to place them.

One more thing, a head mounted mirror is much, much more efficient than a stationary mirror. With a moveable mirror, you don't even have blind spots. The slightest turn of the head gives you a huge picture.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGlenday View Post
    I use this:

Go to AMAZON and enter "Sprintech" - though I'm sure there are other brands as well. I've used these for quite a while, and a few club members have started using them as well.

And ... you they don't look 'dorky'
    I am using this mirror and I find that I don't see cars until they are very close, because of the convex mirror. Irritating. Plus, I keep hitting the thing with my knee.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mirror1.jpg

Looks like it because it is it. Same link.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mirror1.jpg

Are these mirrors flat or convex?
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both my bikes have flat (mountain bike-style) bars. I've tried a few mirrors but the one that really works is a CRG motorcycle mirror. I had one sitting in my parts bin, and one day I realized that bike bars and moto bars are the same diameter at the ends. I tried it, and it works better than any bicycle mirror -- no vibration, great field of view, stays where I put it but folds in when I take the bike on the train, and is nearly indestructible. Granted, it weighs a little more than a typical bicycle mirror, but it's beautifully machined solid aluminum instead of flimsy plastic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Kona Dew Drop, Specialized Expedition Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Take a Look mirror works for me mounted on the visor of my helmet. Mirrors like this take a little getting used to - I've used mirrors similar to this for 30+ years and am used to them.

talm%20original%20and%20compact.jpg

http://www.pacelineproducts.com/Cate...k_Mirrors.aspx
    I like the Take A Look too, didn't have much trouble getting used to it, and especially appreciate the vast range of vision available with very slight head movements. It just takes a bit of practice. People need to remember what these mirrors are for: checking to see if there's a vehicle approaching from the rear. Sharp focus on fine details doesn't really matter.

My Bikes
    Trek 7300 Giant Sedona E-Bike Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post

This wouldn't work on my 5700 series 105 shifters. Shimano changed where they attach. I had a barend version on my Hybrid and it did work well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't go wrong with either a Chuck Harris or a Take-a-Look, either on your glasses or on your helmet.

I also use the Miricycle bar-end mirrors on my 'jump on and ride, no special stuff required' bikes.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marmot View Post
    I like the Take A Look too, didn't have much trouble getting used to it, and especially appreciate the vast range of vision available with very slight head movements. It just takes a bit of practice. People need to remember what these mirrors are for: checking to see if there's a vehicle approaching from the rear. Sharp focus on fine details doesn't really matter.
    Especially since a mirror is only an enhancement for situational awareness...and not a substitute for a head check when you are changing positions.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast