Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Some People and Their Dogs

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-12, 07:41 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

In Newport News VA, there's a bridge called Lions Bridge. On one side there's a field or mall and then the James River. On the other side, Lake Maury. Anyway, I'm coming down Museum Drive downhill at about 23 mph. Up ahead I see a small dog crossing the street and also realize that the dog is on one of those long leashes. I start to apply the brakes and shout "Hold your Dog!" The owner quickly is trying to reel in the dog, I swerve to the left and go past. What a moron. The guy gives this animal a good 20 ft lead and lets this little dog cross a street that cars travel on. I'm just glad I was very attentive. If I had hit the leash or the dog it would've been bad for me, but likely fatal for the pet.
Old 05-20-12, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I see those kind of people frequently on the local MUPs. I usually try to yell as soon as I see them, or at least 40yards out to let them get their pet under control. I have just as much problem with parents who assume that it is your job to navigate around their oblivious toddler and give you the hairy eyeball when the tot darts out into your path and you have to take significant evasive action.
Old 05-20-12, 02:32 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
...But at least on a MUP pedestrians, kids, dogs etc. are entitled to be there. Allowing a dog to roam across an actual road on the end of one of those leashes is not at all bright.
Old 05-20-12, 03:05 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On a MUP, I'd be expecting and looking for such behavior. On a street though, that type of action can get a beloved pet killed.
Old 05-21-12, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
It seems that people with little dogs have the hardest time realizing that if I hit the dog because they let it run in front of me, the dog is gonna die. And I'd feel worse for the dog than the owner.
As for the toddler, I expect the unexpected, and always say something positive to them. They are cyclings future.
Old 05-21-12, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Haven't you seen the obvious link? These people are at or very near THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE! If their little doggy defecates, it will start a black hole.
Old 05-21-12, 05:48 PM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I absolutely despise those long, retractable leashes. It gives the dog way too much control, and can be a hinder to stable behavior. When I take my dog (Pit Bull / Lab / Shar-Pei) for a walk, I use a leash that's simply a loop that my hand fits through. The entire leash, with clasp is no more than about 7-8 inches. My dog walks immediately on my side. Walk-time is not Play-time or Exploration-time. It's for exercise.
Old 05-21-12, 05:57 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Every place I have checked on line has a leash law. Most of them have a limit to the length. Most likely it is 6-5 feet where you live. The laws are on line. A repeat offender can be reported. Or you can tell them you will report them next time. If no one reports her to the police, nothing will happen. Maybe nothing will happen even if you do speak up, still nothing may be done. But you won't know until you try.

MUP's and bike paths may have length limits of their own.
Old 05-21-12, 06:08 PM
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a fellow with a dog who lives right down the street from me that has the same problem...except...the dog (a Jack Russell) HATES ME. When that dog sees me coming up the street he will begin to bark and growl and run to the end of the lead so fast and hard that sometimes coming to the end of the lead will knock him off his little doggy feet. One day that lead will break, and that dog is going to meet the front wheel of my Bacchetta Recumbent.

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL
Old 05-21-12, 07:59 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Bicycles with the dogs leash tied to the bicycle trotting alnog wherever. Grr!! Dogs and bicycles don't mix well, and you are likely to end up with a bicycle/dog stew.
Old 05-21-12, 08:24 PM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChrisM2097
Walk-time is not Play-time or Exploration-time. It's for exercise.
I assume your dog does get some time where he can explore and smell though, right? A happy dog is not just an exercised dog.

As for me, I'm very patient with people and their dogs. I'll save my anger for cagers.
Old 05-21-12, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP - at least your dog incident had one on a leash. On Sunday I proved you can sprint up a 19% grade. I was grinding up this steep hill and heard a guy trying to call back his dog. I look around and not only is a mangy mutt type trying to track me down but a pit bull type dog with fangs showing was also in the hunt. My only option was to try to out hill the dogs. It worked but I thought my HR monitor was going to blow.

When I got to the top the mangy guy was still trying to get to me but I yelled him off. Without his pit bull mate he was not as aggressive.
Old 05-22-12, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I absolutely despise those long, retractable leashes. It gives the dog way too much control, and can be a hinder to stable behavior. When I take my dog (Pit Bull / Lab / Shar-Pei) for a walk, I use a leash that's simply a loop that my hand fits through. The entire leash, with clasp is no more than about 7-8 inches. My dog walks immediately on my side. Walk-time is not Play-time or Exploration-time. It's for exercise.
I'm glad I'm not your dog.
Old 05-22-12, 08:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trek330
I'm glad I'm not your dog.
Don't worry, my dog has plenty of play-time, and is very well cared for. But when it comes to his walk, I like to keep things structured, and keep him in my control. There's nothing wrong with having an obedient, well-behaved dog.

Does this look like an unhappy dog?

Last edited by ChrisM2097; 05-22-12 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-22-12, 08:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil
I assume your dog does get some time where he can explore and smell though, right? A happy dog is not just an exercised dog.
Absolutely. But only in areas where it's appropriate.
Old 05-22-12, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Don't worry, my dog has plenty of play-time, and is very well cared for. But when it comes to his walk, I like to keep things structured, and keep him in my control. There's nothing wrong with having an obedient, well-behaved dog.
You are right about that!Mine is a brat .Wire Haired Fox Terrier.Spoiled rotten.
Old 05-22-12, 09:43 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I'm actually pretty fortunate; the MUP dog walkers around here seem to be pretty considerate with their animals. I just try to give them ample notice if they aren't facing me, usually with a bell ring.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 05-22-12, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
...But at least on a MUP pedestrians, kids, dogs etc. are entitled to be there. Allowing a dog to roam across an actual road on the end of one of those leashes is not at all bright.
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
On a MUP, I'd be expecting and looking for such behavior. On a street though, that type of action can get a beloved pet killed.
Yes indeed if toddlers or other unpredictable beings bother you, don't ride on the MUP, or if you do, ride at an appropriate speed (which often is as slow as the joggers, or even as slow as walkers).
Old 05-22-12, 03:14 PM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Absolutely. But only in areas where it's appropriate.
cool....good looking lucky dog you have there!
Old 05-22-12, 03:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil
cool....good looking lucky dog you have there!
Thanks. He's really been a lot of work - not only with the training, but he's always had a weak immune system, and has been diabetic for at least the past 2.5 years. He sure has cost me a lot of $$$ in Vet visits, Insulin, Syringes, Glucose-testing products, special grain-free diet, etc...but it's absolutely worth it. He's an total goof-ball, and makes my wife and I laugh just about every day with his unusual and unpredictable antics. One of my friends swears that he thinks he's part human.

BTW...I have a trailer like the one in your avatar - but I think Bruno (my dog) is probably too big for it (70+ lb).
Old 05-22-12, 03:25 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
At least it wasn't a 125 pound pit bull trying to make you his next meal.
Old 05-22-12, 04:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
At least it wasn't a 125 pound pit bull trying to make you his next meal.
Why do you have to throw your ignorance into the mix?

Some educational reading:

https://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/B...dNovember12008
HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
The American Pit Bull Terrier must be both powerful and agile so actual weight and height are less important than the correct proportion of weight to height. Desirable weight for a mature male in good condition is between 35 and 60 pounds. Desirable weight for a mature female in good condition is between 30 and 50 pounds.

https://www.badrap.org/breed-history

https://www.badrap.org/monster-myths

There's nothing wrong with the breed - it's the breeders and owners that are the root of the problem. The vast majority of breeders are puppy mills or backyard breeders, and are in it only for the money & the way the dog looks. They don't care if their dogs are inbred, cross-bred, etc.

The American Pit Bull Terrier was originally bred specifically to be Dog-Aggressive. Any that showed Human-Aggression were immediately culled from the gene pool. This was done so that owners could safely remove their dogs from the dog fighting pits.

Show me a bad dog, and I'll show you a bad owner.
Old 05-22-12, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"The American Pit Bull Terrier was originally bred specifically to be Dog-Aggressive."

Are you saying that having a bred to be dog aggressive animal is acceptable? The pit bull has been so irresponsibly bred that it is a bad dog. The pit bull is the only animal in the world that I would dispatch without compunction.
Old 05-22-12, 05:22 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
How about the dude who takes his German Shepard to a single track mountain bike course and lets the dog run loose! "Oh he's very freindly". Just the same, if Rover gets near me he'll get a face full of pepper spray. Turns out he lost the dog! On my return trip he's heading up a search team to go look for the dog.......on nearly 200 acres. Good luck.
Old 05-22-12, 05:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mileslong
"The American Pit Bull Terrier was originally bred specifically to be Dog-Aggressive."

Are you saying that having a bred to be dog aggressive animal is acceptable? The pit bull has been so irresponsibly bred that it is a bad dog. The pit bull is the only animal in the world that I would dispatch without compunction.
Absolutely not. I'm only saying that it was originally bred for dog fighting. Just because it was bred for this reason over a hundred years ago doesn't mean that all of these dogs today are going to display this trait. German Shepherds were bred for herding animals - but that doesn't mean that that's what they all do.

Pit Bulls are known as "Nanny Dogs" because, in general, and with responsible owners, they are very good around kids. Of course the media isn't going to show you this side of the breed.

My wife and I meet Pit Bulls on a regular basis, and I have yet to meet a truly human-aggressive one. Toy breeds on the other hand - I've met lots and lots of human-aggressive examples...due to bad 'parenting'.

My dog is 1/2 Pit Bull. When he was about 2 years old, he started to show some dominance postures and actions at the local off-leash dog park. I recognized the signs, and quickly dealt with them before they escalated. Bruno has never shown human aggression, and regularly meets and plays with small children. He's been attacked by other dogs on several occasions. In none of these occurrences did he harm, or even TRY to harm the other dog(s).

People that choose to own ANY powerful breed need to educate themselves prior to taking one home. It's not as simple as exercise, food, and play time. Discipline is a HUGE part, but many don't know how/when to discipline.

I'm sorry to hear that you're so prejudice against the breed, most likely due to what you've seen in the media.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.