Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished second century!

Hi,

I finished my second Century Sunday, the Santa Fe Century in New Mexico. My total time was 8 hours, travel time 7 hours, 38 minutes. It was a great ride, with something like 4,000 feet of climbing. I've never ridden with 3,000 other cyclists before, what an experience!

I didn't do very well with refueling, only stopped at one of the rest stops, and ate half a banana. Otherwise, I ate stinger waffles and peanut m&m's, and my husband met me on the course a couple of times and filled up my water bottles. Won't do that again! I felt kind of weak around 80 miles and got worried that I might bonk. But I ate another stinger waffle and made it through. Next time I'm definitely going to eat better! I got nervous about not making the distance, and felt ok when going by the rest stops, so kept going. Not smart! I need to learn to relax and be confident that I can do it. Now that I've completed 2 centuries I need to tell myself to calm down and have fun, and stop stressing.

Another reason I worried about finishing was that I didn't do as many miles getting ready for this one, but I did climb our local mountain, 4,000 feet, several times during the weeks before the Century. Again, I wondered if I would make it since I had only done 3 longish rides in the weeks leading up to the century, a 50, 65, and 78 mile ride. But, I guess the climbing was enough to get me through. The trade off of intensity vs. quantity thing seems to work.

Anyway, I'm really happy with how I did. And, I'm amazed at the other cyclists that breezed by me, chatting and laughing like they were riding around the block. Amazing! I want to be like that!

Tabriz

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! that is a pretty good time for your second century

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabriz View Post
    And, I'm amazed at the other cyclists that breezed by me, chatting and laughing like they were riding around the block. Amazing! I want to be like that!
    Those were the people refueling at the rest stops!

Congratulations!!

As someone who has yet to ride 100 miles, I think you did well. Except for skipping the rest stops. But it sounds like you stayed hydrated, bonus points for that.

Your base work with climbing and longish rides no doubt helped you. I'm impressed that you put that much effort in training before the century. You're certainly off to a good start for the summer.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yay! I'm sure the presence of 3000 other cyclists gave you a lift, figuratively if not literally. I would have been wheelsucking for dear life.

I might try my second century, and the first in two years, in two weeks. I like the sound of these stinger waffle things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big congratulations. Sounds like you took a Master's Class what with all the lessons you've brought back from the ride. With 2 completed centuries under your belt, there should be little doubt that you can handle more. Keep on pedalling!
    -----------------------------------------
    While others have labelled me antisocial at various times, it's actually not true. I just don't like people.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulation on the ride.

You did good.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent!! When I was out in Santa Fe and Toas I saw where there was also a century ride that started and stopped in Taos. Ever thought about doing that one? Looked like beautiful country.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need to stop to refuel if your water is ok. I do my ruffling on the bike and only stop when I need water. Refueling and hydration is a science and should be fine tuned on your training runs. You did well and you have my congratulations. This is a progression sport and we learn as we go, just like life in all areas. Good going.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do not have to do 100 miles training to prepare for a 100 mile ride. Those trips up your mountain a few times were good enough. Bonking and the danger point is 70 to 80 miles so you caught it in time. 100 mile rides and I make my one stop- other than for water- at around the 65 mile mark. I eat on the ride but at 65 I eat something a bit more substantial- drink a full bottle of water and stretch a bit, No more than 5 minutes and I keep moving at that stop.

I would love to do 100 miles in 8 hours. I have done it but think I would be taking longer now. Lack of training and enthusiasm would slow me down so well done on the ride- the time and your attitude for the next ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bravo Tabriz! Well done. I expect pros to be fast but like you I'm astonished how fast mere enthusiasts can be. Clearly, in a few years you will also be in that lead group. It sure is a peak experience to speed along at speed on a bike.

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, Tabriz--that's quite an achievement. I do think you were tempting fate by not following a more formal eating plan. I just completed my first metric century on Sunday, and I spent a lot of time reading posts in this forum, the road riding forum, and the endurance riding forum to learn about in-ride nutrition. I used all the knowledge I gained during my ride and finished feeling pretty good about my state of hydration and nutrition during the ride.

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes ride past rest stops on centuries, but usually I stop. Often the time off the bike at the stop is enough to alleviate any butt pain I'm feeling, for awhile anyway. It also helps recharge my batteries. Plus I like to eat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be the Red River Century, probably. http://www.redriverenchantedcirclecenturytour.com/ It does look interesting! I've driven it, and it is beautiful country!

Tabriz

Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Excellent!! When I was out in Santa Fe and Toas I saw where there was also a century ride that started and stopped in Taos. Ever thought about doing that one? Looked like beautiful country.