Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Road bike recommendation for early 60's

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-12, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My uncle, who's in his early 60's and weighs 250lbs, is looking to replace his old hybrid bike and move towards a road bike. His rides will be by himself and with a friend who's currently on a higher end road bike (and in much better shape than him).

He's been looking at the Madone 4.5 but mentioned that it was hard on the hands and arms. The shop is suggesting a different stem to raise the bars and change the body positioning to be less aggressive.

Can anyone suggest some other road bikes that might be a bit more comfortable for someone like him?
Old 05-22-12, 02:04 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The shop sounds as if they have the right idea.

Other bikes he might look at include the Specialized Roubaix and the Giant Defy. One thing I would suggest is that he buys the biggest frame he can be properly fitted to. Bigger frames mean taller headtubes so there is less of a drop from saddle to bars.
Old 05-22-12, 02:07 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Another vote for the Roubaix.

I would be remiss (and I get paid to do this) if I did not suggest a recumbent.

Old 05-22-12, 03:20 PM
Oh! That British Bloke ..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmaclennan
Can anyone suggest some other road bikes that might be a bit more comfortable for someone like him?
Cannondale Synapse might fit the bill. Whichever bike he chooses check the quality of the wheels.
Old 05-22-12, 07:20 PM

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Synapse 5 Jamis Durango 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 63 and bought a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 last August. It is a real comfortable bike and I've put over 3300 miles on it. I put a Koobi Century saddle on it for a bit more comfort, but there are other comparable saddles that could be used. This bike is fast enough for me. I rode in a charity ride this past Sunday - 30 miles in 1:40 averaging 17 mph. There are a number of Plush bikes out there...try them all and have him get one that feels best. Spend a little money and get something nice that he will enjoy. Don't go cheap!
Old 05-22-12, 07:31 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
All the bikes mentioned will fit the bill. All are good. Myself? I do have a Madone 4.5, in addition to a couple of others. The key, whichever bike he gets is to have a proper professional fit. Assuming he has the correct frame size, a pro fit will make it such that he will be able to ride pain free, no matter what bike he gets. It will cost him somewhere between one or one and a half C-notes, but it is well worth the expense. Perhaps the shop he gets a bike will throw in a pro fit with the purchase?

p.s. I'll be 61 in just under three months.
Old 05-22-12, 08:07 PM

Bikes: Felt Z85

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Felt Z series are far less aggressive. That was my choice after trying and test riding quite a few. I went with the Z85 as i thought it gave me the best component wise for the money. I am 69 years old and thi is my first road bike. The key is to go out and test ride make a choice on feel and comfort.
Old 05-22-12, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
63 here, and I too ride a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5.

I am very satisfied with this bike. 11,000 miles on it so far.
Old 05-22-12, 08:37 PM

Bikes: Colnago C50, Specialized TriCross Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get him something like the Specialized tricross. Wide tires are king when you weigh 250. Wide tires are no slower than 23's, and you get the laid back geometry and longer wheelbase. Keep the drop between the seat and stem to a minimum when determining the sizing. I weigh 230 and have a Tricross and a Colnago C50. The tricross is only a bit slower but that due to the different wheels I use.
Old 05-22-12, 08:49 PM

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe all the suggestions are very good. Just upgraded to a new specialized roubaix a little over two weeks ago.Test rode the bike for 53 miles. The first day I got it I did an 82 mile ride and a week later did my first 200k or about 126 miles on the bike. My previous bike a Fuji SL Comp is a year old and my first road bike. Put over 6k on it but the new bike rides very smooth and is easier to get going. Agree with the less agressive setup unless your uncle wants to race. Keeping the Fuji as my training bike...need to get some pedals now

Main reason i chose the specialized is because the local bike shop sells them and I would have to go out of town to find the felt or trek. Plus it really rides very nice for me.

Good luck to your uncle.
Old 05-23-12, 05:51 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Another vote for the Synapse Cannondale line. Good choice of group levels to choose from and carbon or aluminum frames available. At 250# he may want to look at some rated wheels like a 32 spoke set. Just glad to hear he is riding and wants to move up.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 05-23-12 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-23-12, 06:26 AM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a little different slant to this, and this is based on your uncle actually trying to get in shape to ride with his friend. I believe that any bike he buys now that is comfortable will be too relaxed and slow by the end of the summer if he actually works at becoming good enough on the bike to ride with his friend. The bike he buys now should hurt some, but will feel great when he gets in better shape.

I am basing this on what happened to me. Once I listened to my brother and rode a more agressive bike for a couple weeks my whole perspective on bike fit changed along with my speed going up. Once he got me on a more agressive bike his advice for at least two weeks was to "shut up and pedal". Once the two weeks were over I realized that was the best bike related advice I had ever received.
Old 05-23-12, 11:27 AM

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Mercier Corvus (Al frame)from Bikes Direct for my road bike. I agree for a larger frame for an upright position with an adjustable stem. I am 60 at 260 lbs i just put 28 mm tires to deal with what they call chip-seal road surface
I also have a Gran Turismo steel framed touring bike.Also from bikes direct. It has the gearing to get me up hills.

I don't have a 'bent yet! But then again that is a medical condition and i would need a prescription
Old 05-23-12, 11:34 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
What Brands are sold in the Bike Shop that he likes doing business with?
Old 05-23-12, 12:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
What Brands are sold in the Bike Shop that he likes doing business with?
His LBS carries Trek, Felt and Surly. (The Bike Lane - He lives in the Washington DC area)

Lots of great replies so far, thanks for all of your input. I see lots of support for the Synapse! (a bike I ride myself and have recommended to him from the start)
Old 05-23-12, 01:02 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmaclennan
His LBS carries Trek, Felt and Surly. (The Bike Lane - He lives in the Washington DC area)

Lots of great replies so far, thanks for all of your input. I see lots of support for the Synapse! (a bike I ride myself and have recommended to him from the start)
Sounds like a done deal!

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-23-12, 01:43 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
A bit of a hijack -- but same subject so permitted? Thanks to this thread I (64 Y/O looking for a road bike) decided to take a look at the Felt Z series and am already back from the bike store. The Felt just felt right, so I am very interested. The only model in my size that was built up to test was a Z85 aluminum bike with 105 gearing. The geometry was just right and the ride very comfortable. I will go back to look at a Z5 (carbon with 105) next week.
Old 05-23-12, 06:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Cross bike and put road tires on it. Works for me, but I have nothing to compare it to. Only road bike I've owned.
Old 05-31-12, 03:39 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I liked the Felt and Felt's general description of the Z series says they can be ordered in a compact double or a triple but it turns out that is not true. You can only get the triple in the lowest end version. I want a triple so I am still looking. Madone offers them in several of their series but it turns out I like the H3 fit which is available for men in only some of their bikes. Turns out they only offer H3 in series that come in compact doubles. They don't offer H3 in the 4.5 which lets you order a triple. I can't win for loosing but I am holding out until I find a bike that fits right and has the components I want. Any thoughts on good triples with relaxed geometry?