Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the Shoes- Now Need Advice on Road Pedals

I've been riding SPDs for a couple years now but have decided to try some true road shoes. My new Sidis are on the way but now it's time to select the pedals. I'm particularly interested in a good contact area that might help further eliminate hotspots on longer rides. 50+ roadies... what has worked well for you?

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SPD-SL. Not the lightest but they're reliable and have a large contact area (and large but relatively walkable) cleat.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    SPD-SL. Not the lightest but they're reliable and have a large contact area (and large but relatively walkable) cleat.
    Seem to be agreeing with you a lot this morning. I use these, the large contact area suits me and in over five years I've never had a problem with them.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used Looks for over 20 years. My most recent pedal purchase was a relatively inexpensive pair of Nashbar Look-compatibles just to save some money.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am quite happy with my Speedplay Zeros. Buy the ones with the cheapest spindles. I bought aftermarket titanium spindles and paid much less for the pedals and spindles than if I had bought Speedplay with titanium spindles. The aftermarket spindles are also rated for a heavier rider.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use and like the SPD-SL pedals BillyDonn. A good stable platform, turns very smoothly and has some release adjustment that really works for me. I use Adidas shoes with the Shimano cleats that came with the pedals. Cleats are readily available should you need them, from several sources. YMMV. Best of luck in choosing.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the older style Look pedals with delta cleats for many years and compatible VP knockoffs with great results. I switched to SPD-SL a couple of years ago and find them very similar but like the slightly wider platform and better walkability of the cleats.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the SPD-SL pedals. I've used them for the past 3 years. Wide and plenty of foot support.

I must mention that I switched to Speedplay Light Action last month because recently I've been having problems getting unclipped in emergency situations. Yes, the tension is set to minimum.
    Its easier to unclip with the Speedplays.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Late to the party and Ericm979 and Chasm54 have already scored the best looking women.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea the SPD SL [+ the pontoons for stability, off the bike,]
    will let you use your existing pedals ..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I've ever used are SPD-SL. I read posts about hot spots and go ???? Never had the experience.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a set of Look KEO Blades, and love them. They have a larger contact area than other KEOs, are easier to clip into, and are as light as pedals get. I had almost given up on Look due to clip in issues, until I tried these. They are in the "Expensive but worth it" category for me.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the SPD-SL (105 level) and they are great. Used the Nashbar Look ARC compatibles for a while and hated them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up till about a year ago it was Look ARC pedals. Switched to Shimano SPD-SL Ultegra pedals and have not looked back.
    2003 Trek 5200
    2012 Trek 7500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use SPD-SL also, love em.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gtragitt is correct. Speedplay Zeroes are great. The platform is realtively small, though. In return you get float that's easy on the knees.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look Keos on all the road bikes but the commuter.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speedplay Zeros, The best stomp and go pedal out there. If you are starting out on a hill and can't hook up... You got the picture. The most adjustable cleat too. The cleat engages the pedal on either side, no flipping or fiddling, or looking down. After a short learning curve they are a snap.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really like my Look Keos. Very easy to get in and out and never had an accidental pop out. Good float also. But if you plan to walk any at all, get the SPDs.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    Speedplay Zeros, The best stomp and go pedal out there. If you are starting out on a hill and can't hook up... You got the picture. The most adjustable cleat too. The cleat engages the pedal on either side, no flipping or fiddling, or looking down. After a short learning curve they are a snap.
    I've been using the same Speedplays for the past 5 yrs. and am well satisfied with them.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the time many of us decided to go for a good road shoe we more or less knew walking was going to be a purely secondary consideration. I tried Look and SPDs and they were both fine. Neither were real walking shoes. Got a set of Speed Play zeros and was impressed almost from the start. Easy to get into and the float is easy to adjust. However a cleat cover should be used whenever you walk into a cafe. More than likely you will be satisfied with any of the three pedals. On my back up bike I still use a MTB shoe and pedal because I will more than likely do more walking when going to the store and over to visit a friend.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
    By the time many of us decided to go for a good road shoe we more or less knew walking was going to be a purely secondary consideration. I tried Look and SPDs and they were both fine. Neither were real walking shoes. Got a set of Speed Play zeros and was impressed almost from the start. Easy to get into and the float is easy to adjust. However a cleat cover should be used whenever you walk into a cafe. More than likely you will be satisfied with any of the three pedals. On my back up bike I still use a MTB shoe and pedal because I will more than likely do more walking when going to the store and over to visit a friend.
    ...or if you have a long walk from damaged wheel or blown tire(not tube, tire).

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    ...or if you have a long walk from damaged wheel or blown tire(not tube, tire).
    That might be a valid point. When I ride my back up bike I am most often by myself and just may have to walk more if I got a bad cut or blown sidewall. But then I always have to cell phone.

I have walked up to a mile wearing my MTB shoes and it is no fun either. It isn't like walking in tennis shoes.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the cell phone, but there are many times that, other than a cab or 911, I wouldn't have anyone to help me out as no one would be available.

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently use Shimano SPD-SL's (105), but have decided to replace them with Speedplay Zeros. Why? The SPD-SL's are the first clipless pedal I've used. They are the primary brand the LBS which sold me my bike offers, so by default that is what went on the bike. After 13 months of riding, with over 1500 miles under my belt, I still cannot always clip-in reliably (meaning first time without looking), and I find that unacceptable. Under "perfect" conditions I have a little routine that works well, but if road or traffic conditions are less than perfect and I miss the first attempt, it can sometimes degenerate into a nerve-wracking struggle. I completed my first organized long-distance ride this past weekend (a metric century), and by the end of that ride, either through mental or physical fatigue--or a combination of both, plus maybe a true mechanical issue--I was finding myself less and less able to clip-in after each stop sign or red light, etc. Frankly, it became something of a safety issue.

My sense is the situation may be an actual mechanical issue, now. Walking on the cleats has led to the wearing down of some of the plastic structures on the cleats. I am wondering if this is making it harder for the cleats to engage the necessary structure on the pedal? Had they been easy to use when new, I would simply buy a new cleat, but since they weren't the easiest pedal to use even when new, I've decided to give the Speedplay Zeros a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast