Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-23-12, 12:52 AM   #1
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got the Shoes- Now Need Advice on Road Pedals

I've been riding SPDs for a couple years now but have decided to try some true road shoes. My new Sidis are on the way but now it's time to select the pedals. I'm particularly interested in a good contact area that might help further eliminate hotspots on longer rides. 50+ roadies... what has worked well for you?
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 01:15 AM   #2
ericm979

Bikes:
SPD-SL. Not the lightest but they're reliable and have a large contact area (and large but relatively walkable) cleat.
ericm979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 01:42 AM   #3
chasm54
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
SPD-SL. Not the lightest but they're reliable and have a large contact area (and large but relatively walkable) cleat.
Seem to be agreeing with you a lot this morning. I use these, the large contact area suits me and in over five years I've never had a problem with them.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 04:17 AM   #4
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
I used Looks for over 20 years. My most recent pedal purchase was a relatively inexpensive pair of Nashbar Look-compatibles just to save some money.
CraigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 05:21 AM   #5
gtragitt

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
I am quite happy with my Speedplay Zeros. Buy the ones with the cheapest spindles. I bought aftermarket titanium spindles and paid much less for the pedals and spindles than if I had bought Speedplay with titanium spindles. The aftermarket spindles are also rated for a heavier rider.
gtragitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 05:25 AM   #6
qcpmsame 
Cycling Saved My Life

Bikes: '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra, '78 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
I use and like the SPD-SL pedals BillyDonn. A good stable platform, turns very smoothly and has some release adjustment that really works for me. I use Adidas shoes with the Shimano cleats that came with the pedals. Cleats are readily available should you need them, from several sources. YMMV. Best of luck in choosing.

Bill
I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me. Philippians 4:13

"I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, I do choose not to allow it to control my life." Davis Phinney

Semper Fi, USMC, November 10, 1775, Tun Tavern, Philadelphia, PA.

qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 06:07 AM   #7
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I used the older style Look pedals with delta cleats for many years and compatible VP knockoffs with great results. I switched to SPD-SL a couple of years ago and find them very similar but like the slightly wider platform and better walkability of the cleats.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 08:00 AM   #8
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
+1 on the SPD-SL pedals. I've used them for the past 3 years. Wide and plenty of foot support.

I must mention that I switched to Speedplay Light Action last month because recently I've been having problems getting unclipped in emergency situations. Yes, the tension is set to minimum.
Its easier to unclip with the Speedplays.

The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 08:05 AM   #9
Hermes 
Elite Rider

Bikes: Too Many
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Late to the party and Ericm979 and Chasm54 have already scored the best looking women.
Old 05-23-12, 12:40 PM   #10
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 7
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Yea the SPD SL [+ the pontoons for stability, off the bike,]
will let you use your existing pedals ..
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 01:02 PM   #11
mprelaw

Bikes:
All I've ever used are SPD-SL. I read posts about hot spots and go ???? Never had the experience.
mprelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 02:04 PM   #12
AzTallRider 
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
I have a set of Look KEO Blades, and love them. They have a larger contact area than other KEOs, are easier to clip into, and are as light as pedals get. I had almost given up on Look due to clip in issues, until I tried these. They are in the "Expensive but worth it" category for me.
Old 05-23-12, 02:20 PM   #13
CACycling

Bikes: '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
I use the SPD-SL (105 level) and they are great. Used the Nashbar Look ARC compatibles for a while and hated them.
CACycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 04:11 PM   #14
avmech

Bikes:
Up till about a year ago it was Look ARC pedals. Switched to Shimano SPD-SL Ultegra pedals and have not looked back.
avmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 05:05 PM   #15
gear

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I use SPD-SL also, love em.
gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 05:28 PM   #16
Kurt Erlenbach

Bikes:
gtragitt is correct. Speedplay Zeroes are great. The platform is realtively small, though. In return you get float that's easy on the knees.
Kurt Erlenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 05:39 PM   #17
NOS88

Bikes:
Look Keos on all the road bikes but the commuter.
Old 05-23-12, 08:52 PM   #18
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
Speedplay Zeros, The best stomp and go pedal out there. If you are starting out on a hill and can't hook up... You got the picture. The most adjustable cleat too. The cleat engages the pedal on either side, no flipping or fiddling, or looking down. After a short learning curve they are a snap.
Phil85207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 08:08 AM   #19
bigbadwullf

Bikes:
Really like my Look Keos. Very easy to get in and out and never had an accidental pop out. Good float also. But if you plan to walk any at all, get the SPDs.
bigbadwullf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 08:14 AM   #20
bruce19

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
Speedplay Zeros, The best stomp and go pedal out there. If you are starting out on a hill and can't hook up... You got the picture. The most adjustable cleat too. The cleat engages the pedal on either side, no flipping or fiddling, or looking down. After a short learning curve they are a snap.
I've been using the same Speedplays for the past 5 yrs. and am well satisfied with them.
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 12:05 PM   #21
Mobile 155

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
By the time many of us decided to go for a good road shoe we more or less knew walking was going to be a purely secondary consideration. I tried Look and SPDs and they were both fine. Neither were real walking shoes. Got a set of Speed Play zeros and was impressed almost from the start. Easy to get into and the float is easy to adjust. However a cleat cover should be used whenever you walk into a cafe. More than likely you will be satisfied with any of the three pedals. On my back up bike I still use a MTB shoe and pedal because I will more than likely do more walking when going to the store and over to visit a friend.
Mobile 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 12:31 PM   #22
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
By the time many of us decided to go for a good road shoe we more or less knew walking was going to be a purely secondary consideration. I tried Look and SPDs and they were both fine. Neither were real walking shoes. Got a set of Speed Play zeros and was impressed almost from the start. Easy to get into and the float is easy to adjust. However a cleat cover should be used whenever you walk into a cafe. More than likely you will be satisfied with any of the three pedals. On my back up bike I still use a MTB shoe and pedal because I will more than likely do more walking when going to the store and over to visit a friend.
...or if you have a long walk from damaged wheel or blown tire(not tube, tire).
Bikey Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 12:46 PM   #23
Mobile 155

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
...or if you have a long walk from damaged wheel or blown tire(not tube, tire).
That might be a valid point. When I ride my back up bike I am most often by myself and just may have to walk more if I got a bad cut or blown sidewall. But then I always have to cell phone.

I have walked up to a mile wearing my MTB shoes and it is no fun either. It isn't like walking in tennis shoes.
Mobile 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 07:51 PM   #24
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
+1 on the cell phone, but there are many times that, other than a cab or 911, I wouldn't have anyone to help me out as no one would be available.
Bikey Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 10:25 PM   #25
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9
I currently use Shimano SPD-SL's (105), but have decided to replace them with Speedplay Zeros. Why? The SPD-SL's are the first clipless pedal I've used. They are the primary brand the LBS which sold me my bike offers, so by default that is what went on the bike. After 13 months of riding, with over 1500 miles under my belt, I still cannot always clip-in reliably (meaning first time without looking), and I find that unacceptable. Under "perfect" conditions I have a little routine that works well, but if road or traffic conditions are less than perfect and I miss the first attempt, it can sometimes degenerate into a nerve-wracking struggle. I completed my first organized long-distance ride this past weekend (a metric century), and by the end of that ride, either through mental or physical fatigue--or a combination of both, plus maybe a true mechanical issue--I was finding myself less and less able to clip-in after each stop sign or red light, etc. Frankly, it became something of a safety issue.

My sense is the situation may be an actual mechanical issue, now. Walking on the cleats has led to the wearing down of some of the plastic structures on the cleats. I am wondering if this is making it harder for the cleats to engage the necessary structure on the pedal? Had they been easy to use when new, I would simply buy a new cleat, but since they weren't the easiest pedal to use even when new, I've decided to give the Speedplay Zeros a try.
Banded Krait is offline   Reply With Quote