Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-24-12, 11:06 AM   #1
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Bikes:
My Brain is Full

Talking to another Master's racer yesterday about how we forget stuff because our brains are full.

Case in point: I'm Ebay'ing a bunch of parts I've accumulated. I'm going through boxes and finding stuff I didn't realize I had. Writing up a listing for a new 120 stem I found in a box (I've moved 5 times in 5 years so things are a little disorganized). Don't remember where I bought it but then it hits me that I was getting ready to look for that exact stem for one of my bikes.

I figure the next step in the aging process is when you put that stem up on Ebay, realize you need one, then bid on your own stem.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 11:12 AM   #2
VanceMac

Bikes:
Recently discovered new shoes and pedals, both NIB, that I had forgotten I had purchased 3-4 months earlier. My bike room could use some organizing.
VanceMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 12:03 PM   #3
jmccain

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
It may have to do somewhat with aging, but I believe that the human brain wasn't designed to carry around as much info as we try to stuff in.

Until now there was much less information required as well as shorter lifespans. A hundred years ago or so, life expectancy was about 50.23 years when born. This forum would not have been needed.

At least I think I think this. I found it on a scrap of paper that looks like my handwriting...
jmccain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 12:32 PM   #4
chasm54
Banned.

Bikes:
Nah, it's not that your brain is full, it's just cluttered. Stuff gets buried in your memory, just like it does in your parts bin. My theory is that I prioritise better than I used to, so stuff I think unimportant never makes it into my memory in the first place. Which amounts to saying that being unable to remember what just happened is a valuable life skill....
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 01:40 PM   #5
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
You need a re-boot and clear the inbox of all that spam.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 02:31 PM   #6
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, '86 Gazelle champion mondial, '81? Grandis, and lots of uncertainty on some
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
I can't speak for you but I know I could use a good beer and a good night's sleep.
jimmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 02:59 PM   #7
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
An ever increasing percentage of our brain is being dedicated to input/output: cell phones, tablets, computers, complex controls for just about everything short of a toaster. The bandwidth available far exceeds our ability to formulate and transfer actual information.
rdtompki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 03:00 PM   #8
Hermes 
Elite Rider

Bikes: Too Many
Since your brain is full, as a reminder, I am taking delivery today of the stem that I owe you.

Cat: Killer
Hermes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 03:03 PM   #9
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Bottle of spitfire in hand but staying on topic- I know I have one- in fact I have several- but wheres the bottle opener?

Been looking in the shed for Road Brake cables this week. Didn't find the cables but found a lot of stuff I did not know I had. I knew I had them somewhere but all I could find were MTB type. Trip to the LBS-Bought 4- used 2 and put the others away in my spares cabinet. It is an old metal file cabinet with 10 drawers in and everything has its place. MTB now in the bottom drawer but brakes in one drawer- chains in another etc. Put the 2 spares away in the cabinet--on top of the 4 I bought 6 months ago.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 03:58 PM   #10
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
I'm expecting a new frameset next week that I need to complete without spending much money. I could swear I had a new Shimano 105 triple crankset already... it must be somewhere... might it be in Chicago?!?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-24-12 at 06:42 PM.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 04:48 PM   #11
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
An ever increasing percentage of our brain is being dedicated to input/output: cell phones, tablets, computers, complex controls for just about everything short of a toaster. The bandwidth available far exceeds our ability to formulate and transfer actual information.
Don't leave out the toaster!

http://homeappliances.files.wordpres...na-toaster.jpg

locolobo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 06:48 PM   #12
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Time for a defragmentation.
Old 05-25-12, 11:52 AM   #13
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
It's too late to defrag. I'm already fragged beyond redemption. Life can be complicated but there are a few things I'm certain of. I just can't quite remember what they were.
berner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 12:22 PM   #14
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by berner View Post
It's too late to defrag. I'm already fragged beyond redemption. Life can be complicated but there are a few things I'm certain of. I just can't quite remember what they were.
Maybe you have bad sectors beyond repair and your brain won't isolate and ignore those sectors.
Bikey Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote