Thread: Hit a car

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hit a car

Totally my fault. I went through a stop sign on a back road that pretty much never has traffic and hit a car. I'm okay--a small scrape on my left elbow and my right leg whacked the frame and will probably have a lovely bruise(icing it now) . The car is fine. Guy in the car wasn't blaming me and very concerned about my welfare. The bike seems okay, but the handlebars are turned to the left 10 or so degrees and the left brifter(105s) will most likely need to be replaced. Hanger is fine, but that didn't hit the ground as I went onto the left side. Everything else seems absolutely fine with the bike. I'm so PO'd at myself for the stupidity of not slowing down a lot more or stopping at that stop sign.

My Bikes
    The Black Knight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're glad you're OK!
    No Excuses

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you are OK- As to the Stupid bit-----No Comment as I have always been lucky in these situations.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you are alright Mikey that is all that matters. You learned a lesson and it seems the driver was a good guy to boot. Please check you bicycle carefully, frame and all as well as yourself. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Bill

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, man.... really?

You got lucky.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Of course.
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Oh, man.... really?

You got lucky.
    My teammate didn't.

Few seconds here or there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you are ok. Keep us informed
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How could you be so careless? Are you human or something?

Thanks for the reminder that cars can appear out of thin air when and where we least expect them.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mistakes are learning experiences. Unless you die, at which time they become someone else's learning experiences.

My Bikes
    Old Specialized FSR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I glad you are OK. Bikes and cars can be repaired or replaced. The human body, not so much. Now for the one question nobody else has asked.
    How the hell do you miss seeing a car on a back road that pretty much never has traffic???
    Seriously, I'm glad you are alright.
    Been chatting to a 14 year old girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Mistakes are learning experiences. Unless you die, at which time they become someone else's learning experiences.
    Unfortunately, the majority of humans don't learn very much from the mistakes of others. ...and that includes myself on occasion!

Glad you are OK Bikey!
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    As long as you are alright Mikey that is all that matters. You learned a lesson and it seems the driver was a good guy to boot. Please check you bicycle carefully, frame and all as well as yourself. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Bill
    The bike's at the LBS now. The left brifter needs to be replaced as it got messed up and they are going to check the whole bike throrougly to ensure no other damage was incurred. From what I could find, the brifter and re-aligning the handlebars/fork are the only things needing attention. The owner and the other two employees, one of whom I believe is his girlfriend, all say I am a lucky SOB. The owner scanned over the bike and said "these are a lot tougher than they appear." He then stated, "Geez, you didn't even mess up or rip the handlebar tape."

Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    How could you be so careless? Are you human or something?

Thanks for the reminder that cars can appear out of thin air when and where we least expect them.
    I'm human and I'm wearing my sign, my stupid sign, right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Durockrolly View Post
    I glad you are OK. Bikes and cars can be repaired or replaced. The human body, not so much. Now for the one question nobody else has asked.
    How the hell do you miss seeing a car on a back road that pretty much never has traffic???
    Seriously, I'm glad you are alright.
    The two roads intersect and there are trees and cars all parked on the side. I swear I looked thoroughly, but obviously I missed it or it was in a blind spot. I feel stupid and admit it...I was STUPID and damn lucky. There was a officer of some type that came along, sheriff's, fishing and wildlife, forest, or some type. He helped me put the bike in the back of his pick up and drove me home. The guy I hit seemed to not give a damn about his car and only cared about me. I asked him to look at his car...he said there was a minor ding, but he wasn't worried or cared about it. The guy was a really nice person. I'm going to be a little sore, and the bike's frame whacked the muscle above me knee(inside right leg) and it's going to have a lovely bruise and be a bit stiff. Fortunately, I'm icing(already take Celebrex) which will keep the swelling down, and taking some Norco(hydrocodone+325mg Tylenol) with a 500mg Tylenol(left over from the sciatica I battled earlier in March.

There must be an Angel looking out for my posterior...maybe Michael the Archangel since I was named after him.

Oh, and the shop guy said he should have it ready this afternoon. Tomorrow is fine with me too, but heck, I thought I might not have for a few days. However long it takes to be done right and safely is perfectly fine with me. Walter, the owner, said he had a left side brifter in the back.
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 05-25-12 at 10:36 AM.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you made it. The thing about paying attention to what you are doing, especially with regard to safety, is that it works best if you pay attention all the time. Paying attention is easy. Paying attention all the time is hard.

blt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
    My teammate didn't.

Few seconds here or there.
    Even before seeing your post, the OP's story made me think of your teammate's death and how lucky the OP was. I only knew about that incident from reading about it in forums and sfgate, but to this day, I can't ride down the north side of Collier Canyon to Highland without thinking about it, and being aware that if you don't plan to at least come very close to a stop, you really can't see what is coming on Highland until it is too late to stop. Not a lot of cars on Highland, and it feels wrong to lose all that momentum when turning left there, but I am now really careful approaching that intersection and come to a virtual stop, and in general I have shifted my mindset so that if there is any doubt at all, I always sacrifice momentum for safety.

It is only human to be careless. Sadly, sometimes the price paid for carelessness can mean it is too late for the one who made the mistake to learn a lesson, and I'm sorry you have grief the OP tapped into. Probably not much consoluation, but I learned a lesson from reading about it. Yes, the OP was very lucky.

My Bikes
    The Black Knight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Glad you are OK- As to the Stupid bit-----No Comment as I have always been lucky in these situations.
    Speaking of stupid, once about 25 years ago I was on a steep climb up a city street here in El Paso. I hit a parked car and tumbled to Planet Earth. Before I checked myself for injuries and before I checked the bicycle for damage, I looked around to make sure no one saw it - -
    No Excuses

My Bikes
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6c
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you're OK... that's all that matters.

Last week I went out with a group and as they when through an intersection I "assumed" the car, that had the right of way, would yield... he didn't and I almost hit him. I was going down hill at 29mph and realized my brakes weren't going to stop me. Luckily I was able to lean and make a sharper turn and missed the back of his car.

Totally my fault and i learned my lesson. Never "assume", never take a risk to stay with the group and brakes won't stop 200lbs going 29mph.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the bike shop called and said that the damage was exactly as first assessed--re-aligning the handlebar/fork and replacing the left brifter. Every thing else checked out fine. I could've picked it up this afternoon, but I had too many errands...will be picking it up tomorrow.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    Well, the bike shop called and said that the damage was exactly as first assessed--re-aligning the handlebar/fork and replacing the left brifter. Every thing else checked out fine. I could've picked it up this afternoon, but I had too many errands...will be picking it up tomorrow.
    So, has the physical assessment of self remained the same too? Hope so.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you are doing OK all considered and hoping this was a teachable moment for you. [If not, the next lesson will probably be much harsher.]

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike,

I am glad you weren't seriously hurt and that the damage to your bike was moderate. Here's hoping you will have better--and safer--rides in the future.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Octagonal sign. Bright red. Word: STOP.
    You are either illiterate or ignore traffic laws.
    Your fault?! Yup!

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank goodness I have never done anything like that-:0)
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    surly LHT, surly CC, trek 5000, paris sport fixie (my 1970 bike...repurposed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    The car is fine. Guy in the car wasn't blaming me and very concerned about my welfare.
    Glad to hear YOU'RE OK and be glad you were not driving a car.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said, glad you weren't hurt any worse. Was this your new N+1 bicycle? It can be repaired, pretty cheaply too it sounds like. Hope your lesson sticks we all have done this type of thing and we live and learn. Keep safe and keep riding.

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 05-27-12 at 04:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow2 View Post
    I "assumed" the car, that had the right of way, would yield... he didn't and I almost hit him.

Totally my fault and i learned my lesson. Never "assume",
    Is that car with the turn signals on actually going to turn? I assume they won't. Is that car on the side street going to wait until I pass before pulling out right in front of me? I assume they won't. I try to practice defensive driving, always trying to assume the worst case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast