Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bonked again today! :^(

I did the 50 mi club ride to Boca Raton today. I was ride leader, but I bonked at about 38 mi on the ride home and did the last 12 mi solo. Bonked on the same ride last week at about 35 mi.

I'm on a low calorie high fat diet and while I'm in Ketosis, I'm still 2-3 weeks from being fully keto-adapted.

On thing I did notice was the effect of fat metabolism being much less oxygen intense than carbohydrate metabolism. On the ride home though the park we were doing 24-25 and I looked and my HR was 88 - 92% max, but I was hardly breathing. Normally at that effort level I would be sucking wind bad.

Once I'm fully keto-adapted I should be able to maintain a high level of effort for extended periods. I want to be ready for some grueling rides in upstate NY in the mountains. It's a real change from the billiard top riding I do here.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been in ketosis for a couple of years and I have noticed similar things after a longer ride at higher intensity. I just can't seem to get to an effort that makes me suck wind. I've never considered myself as having bonked, since I can usually go on for quite a while, I just can't bring the effort up. In fact, my heart rate usually stays pretty low unless I'm climbing a hill. Hill climbs will bring the heart rate right up, but no heavy breathing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you do on rides of this distance when you were not on this diet?

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've not researched it, but my gut tells me combining ketosis and distance cycling is a bad idea.

My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthib View Post
    I'm still 2-3 weeks from being fully keto-adapted.
    How do you know this?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A thirty second google search led me to a site at my alma mater Vandy, which reminds me that ketosis, among other things, leads to excess sodium and water losses via the kidneys. It sounds like thr perfect recipe for a summertime disaster. I wouldn't do that if I were you.

The above is for information only and is not meant to be specific medical advice. Always consult your primary care physician.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This diet sounds like a bad recipe for distance which may lead to a real problem/disaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've read about distance riding and fuelling with fat instead of carbs, it is not a bad way to go. Once you are adapted to it, you can do a very long ride without eating anything. I've actually read about and seen more issues with needing carbs while ridding and the bad results of not getting enough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would Lance eat?

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
    What would Lance eat?
    Lance is not a normal person. Not even close. I have considered looking at fueling with fats and not carbs, but have not taken the time to research. Would like to read more comments on this diet.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you!

One of the ways we assess someone who has been puking their guts out is to check a urine ketone level. The higher the level, the sicker they are.

Anyway, do what you will. I'd just hate to see the uninitiated think that this kind of stuff is a good idea.

My Bikes
    Trek Transport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on a low calorie high fat diet and while I'm in Ketosis, I'm still 2-3 weeks from being fully keto-adapted.
    From what I have seen this seems like an incredibly asinine thing to do. Being over 50 we have enough issues without taxing our bodies even more.

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the 50 mi club ride to Boca Raton today. I was ride leader, but I bonked at about 38 mi on the ride home and did the last 12 mi solo. Bonked on the same ride last week at about 35 mi.

On thing I did notice was the effect of fat metabolism being much less oxygen intense than carbohydrate metabolism. On the ride home though the park we were doing 24-25 and I looked and my HR was 88 - 92% max, but I was hardly breathing. Normally at that effort level I would be sucking wind bad.

Once I'm fully keto-adapted I should be able to maintain a high level of effort for extended periods. I want to be ready for some grueling rides in upstate NY in the mountains. It's a real change from the billiard top riding I do here.
    This is a terrible idea for bike rides, the longer the ride worse it will be. You need carbs to ride anything other than a very short ride. I know a couple of people who did the same thing as you, and had even worse results, they passed out. I tried it once on a century. I passed out at dinner later in the day. I happened to have an EMT and a diabetic at dinner. The diabetic had his meter with him. I quote " absolutly 911 levels". (single digits). Some ice cream brought me back.
    Last edited by 2manybikes; 05-26-12 at 07:07 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
    What would Lance eat?
    Who's Lance? The god in human form of distance cycling is Lon Haldeman.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastRider View Post
    From what I have seen this seems like an incredibly asinine thing to do. Being over 50 we have enough issues without taxing our bodies even more.
    You might have put that a bit more genteelly. I keep reading how civil and reasoned this forum is.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^, +1, that was kind of harsh. Being plain spoken does not mean speaking that way to anyone.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Trek Transport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    ^^^, +1, that was kind of harsh. Being plain spoken does not mean speaking that way to anyone.
    What, because I think that something is asinine? I called the ACT of doing something like this asinine, NOT the person.

Sorry if I hurt someones feelings. But the facts of doing this speak for themselves.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hyegeek View Post
    I've been in ketosis for a couple of years ...
    Really? Im no physiologist, but everything I have read suggests that this may not be a great idea.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was into long enduring rides and we used to carbo load and eat plenty of carbs on the ride--May have helped us- may not but after those rides all we wanted Grease. Our bodies and taste buds just wanted greasy KFC- Fish and chips- just chips fried in Lard-- Raw grease would have done us.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    I've not researched it, but my gut tells me combining ketosis and distance cycling is a bad idea.
    That was my first thought but I'm open to new information.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    Who's Lance? The god in human form of distance cycling is Lon Haldeman.
    You do mean Pete Penseyres right?

My Bikes
    Trek Transport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found this on a medical site.....

POSSIBLE problems that can arise by doing this.....

Kidney failure. Consuming too much protein puts a strain on the kidneys, which can make a person susceptible to kidney disease.

High cholesterol. It is well known that high protein diets (consisting of red meat, whole dairy products, and other high fat foods) are linked to high cholesterol. Studies have linked high cholesterol levels to an increased risk of developing heart disease, stroke, and cancer.

Osteoporosis and kidney stones. High protein diets have also been shown to cause people to excrete more calcium than normal through their urine. Over a prolonged period of time, this can increase a person's risk of osteoporosis and kidney stones.

Cancer. One of the reasons high protein diets increase the risks of certain health problems is because of the avoidance of carbohydrate-containing foods and the vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants they contain. It is therefore important to obtain your protein from a diet rich in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Not only are your needs for protein being met, but you are also helping to reduce your risk of developing cancer.

Unhealthy metabolic state (ketosis). Low-carb diets can cause your body to go into a dangerous metabolic state called ketosis since your body burns fat instead of glucose for energy. During ketosis, the body forms substances known as ketones, which can cause organs to fail and result in gout, kidney stones, or kidney failure. Ketones can also dull a person's appetite, cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis can be prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day.

Well, I am over 50 and I don't believe that I would want to put MY body through something such as this. I have enough other medical issues to deal with. Seems to me to be an incredibly stupid idea at our age.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK mates. Now that we have flogged him before the fleet, maybe we should untie him from the mast and let him lick his wounds for awhile.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonking at 35 miles on a flat ride?????

Maybe you didn't mean bonking, maybe you just got tired?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast