Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-27-12, 06:27 AM   #1
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Totally Trashed!!!

The best description of how I felt yesterday was "totally trashed". My brother and I did 90 miles with several 5-7 mile climbs in the lower NC/SC mountains. It was pretty humid. And the temps were close to 90 when we finished. Total climbing feet was around 8000 feet. The signature climb was Caesars Head which is 7 miles long with grades 6-9%. When we got to the top we had to turn around and head back for 45 miles.

On the way out we hit speeds of 50 mph on a long steep road. Unfortunately we had to climb that long steep road in the heat of the day going back.

The last 20 miles were total survival. Even modest climbs required the puniest of gears. Bad state of dehydration and cramps. It was the first really warm day for me riding this year and there is definitely some acclimation needed. Plus I knew going into the ride I was not as well hydrated as I needed to be but I needed the time in the saddle.

But today things are better. Showered and a good night's sleep. I know I pushed myself beyond what was comfortable (both mentally and physically) and will be rewarded in later rides. My weight continues to drop. I was able to comfortably cinch up to another hole in my belt.

The downside is now I have to move all my wife's furniture to another office across town........yuck.
Old 05-27-12, 06:46 AM   #2
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
That which does not kill you makes you stranger.

j/k Sounds like a ride when Grown Men cried. I piddled around in 90 heat and was worn out after 18 miles. Well done.
Old 05-27-12, 06:56 AM   #3
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Way to go jppe, I love reading about all the climbing you do.
Old 05-27-12, 07:01 AM   #4
curdog

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
The best description of how I felt yesterday was "totally trashed". My brother and I did 90 miles with several 5-7 mile climbs in the lower NC/SC mountains. It was pretty humid. And the temps were close to 90 when we finished. Total climbing feet was around 8000 feet. The signature climb was Caesars Head which is 7 miles long with grades 6-9%. When we got to the top we had to turn around and head back for 45 miles.

On the way out we hit speeds of 50 mph on a long steep road. Unfortunately we had to climb that long steep road in the heat of the day going back.

The last 20 miles were total survival. Even modest climbs required the puniest of gears. Bad state of dehydration and cramps. It was the first really warm day for me riding this year and there is definitely some acclimation needed. Plus I knew going into the ride I was not as well hydrated as I needed to be but I needed the time in the saddle.

But today things are better. Showered and a good night's sleep. I know I pushed myself beyond what was comfortable (both mentally and physically) and will be rewarded in later rides. My weight continues to drop. I was able to comfortably cinch up to another hole in my belt.

The downside is now I have to move all my wife's furniture to another office across town........yuck.
Is this Cycle North Carolina territory?
curdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-12, 07:07 AM   #5
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Way to ride....Now rest up and do it again.

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-12, 08:36 AM   #6
qcpmsame 
Cycling Saved My Life

Bikes: '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra, '78 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Well jppe you had mountains, heat and humidity, all the makings of a test for your conditioning. Glad to hear you made the ride and did so safely. Take it easy for a day or so and recover before you push it. And moving a spouses office stuff ain't resting in my experience. Been there, done that and have the t-shirt. Take care.

Bill
I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me. Philippians 4:13

"I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, I do choose not to allow it to control my life." Davis Phinney

Semper Fi, USMC, November 10, 1775, Tun Tavern, Philadelphia, PA.

qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-12, 09:00 AM   #7
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9
Quote:
Total climbing feet was around 8000 feet.

jppe,

Man--hills, heat, humidity, and distance--what an epic cycling challenge! Are you training for the Tour de France?

I am continually amazed at the cycling feats my fellow 50+ members are completing. Congratulations on completing a very tough ride.
Banded Krait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-12, 06:30 PM   #8
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Quote:
The best description of how I felt yesterday was "totally trashed". .....

The last 20 miles were total survival......yuck.
You'd think they would learn....
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-12, 12:37 AM   #9
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Been holding back to comments on this as I did my first 100 miler yesterday. Without the hills and without the pace of you. Also with less preparation and training than you.

Believe me- I know how you feel.

Hope you recover faster than I will and get the next ride report in of Century rides up mountains

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-12, 05:23 AM   #10
buelito
train safe

Bikes:
Quote:
The best description of how I felt yesterday was "totally trashed".
+1

Well, I guess I’m ready for Ride the Rockies. Saturday was a brutal day—83 miles, close to 7000 feet of climbing on a classic ride in the Shenandoah Valley. SkyMass. Starts in Front Royal, VA and goes up Skyline Drive to Rt 211 (about 31 miles)—then a long downhill into Luray. From Luray, up Massanutten mountain (brutally hard hill…) then rollers back to Front Royal. Temperature in the high 80’s and very humid. It was a brutal day. I rode the folder—the dahon Speed P8 that I plan to take to Colorado in 2 weeks. I changed the tires from the big apple’s to marathons, and shaved a pound or so off the total weight, but the bike is still heavy, and although I was fine on the rollers, flats and downhills—I was slow going up the long steep hills. Skyline Drive was OK—I didn’t get dropped too badly. Massanutten was another story—that is a tough hill with ramps approaching 16%... the last 20 were tough as my back and triceps started to hurt—riding with a fast group is very different from riding alone. Total time, including stops, was 6 hours flat. I feel really good about that.

Train safe
buelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-12, 06:35 AM   #11
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buelito View Post
+1

Well, I guess I’m ready for Ride the Rockies. Saturday was a brutal day—83 miles, close to 7000 feet of climbing on a classic ride in the Shenandoah Valley. SkyMass. Starts in Front Royal, VA and goes up Skyline Drive to Rt 211 (about 31 miles)—then a long downhill into Luray. From Luray, up Massanutten mountain (brutally hard hill…) then rollers back to Front Royal. Temperature in the high 80’s and very humid. It was a brutal day. I rode the folder—the dahon Speed P8 that I plan to take to Colorado in 2 weeks. I changed the tires from the big apple’s to marathons, and shaved a pound or so off the total weight, but the bike is still heavy, and although I was fine on the rollers, flats and downhills—I was slow going up the long steep hills. Skyline Drive was OK—I didn’t get dropped too badly. Massanutten was another story—that is a tough hill with ramps approaching 16%... the last 20 were tough as my back and triceps started to hurt—riding with a fast group is very different from riding alone. Total time, including stops, was 6 hours flat. I feel really good about that.

Train safe
6 hours with that much climbing and that heavy a bike is outstanding. Fortunately we'll be in much less humid conditions and the climbs while probably longer will not be as steep as what we have trained on. Should be a blast.
Old 05-28-12, 03:17 PM   #12
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Quote:
Originally Posted by buelito View Post
+1

Train safe
I know that terrain, I use to go from Ruckersville to Skyland as my spring training routine. The long haul up to and out of Simmons gap was always a challenge early in the season. Heck - I remember one late March as I was approaching Big Meadows it was snowing on me.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-12, 05:16 PM   #13
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
I also did my first century of the season, on Saturday, the Horsey Hundred. The loop I did was 102 miles, with heat was in the 90s. The heat index at the 70-mile rest stop was 98F. I was not ready for a century, and my legs paid for it. Don't know the climbing - more than I'm used to, but probably a lot less than 8000 feet.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote