Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Introducing the N+1 project bike

About a week ago I picked up the newest addition to my stable. A 1986 Team Fuji bought off the local Craigslist.

IMGP0107small.jpg

I spent the last week cleaning it up, truing the wheels and making sure it was safe and ride-able. There is still a fair amount of work to do. It will get some more clean up, a new saddle (probably a period Selle Italia Turbo), new bar tape, new cables, full toe clips.....

All of the pieces of the original Suntour Sprint group appear to be there and in pretty good condition. The color scheme is called "Black Flamingo" and yes, the front end of the bike is VERY pink! The original Nitto bars have been replaced with 45cm wide Sakae Modolos with the anatomical bend. I am told that this was a very common late '80s modification. I think I am really going to like these wide bars.

So far I have not put in more than about a mile at a time but the bike feels really good so far. I have in a number of orders for parts and accessories from eBay and some other sources. I am looking forward to putting this in full roadworthy condition, using it for the rest of this year and then probably disassembling it all this winter so I can redo a bunch of the cosmetics.

Of course you realize that the second you acquire N+1 you once again own N bikes and are back on the lookout for N+1. It just never ends!
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a really worthwhile project. More pics as you progress please, Mort.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Half step gearing. There's a blast from the past.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mort,
    Drop me a PM as to what you need, I'll look in my parts box and try to help out, just "Pay It Forward' someday if I send you something.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Half step gearing. There's a blast from the past.
    Actually, that is a 42-52 crankset, but with the cutouts it does look a bit like half step.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy