Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Summer 2012: Our group returns to Glenwood Springs, CO

Our group is planning our 2012 summer event in Glenwood Springs, CO. We did this in 2010 and had a blast, basically repeating the fun time we had there during the first 50+ group ride. Dates are Aug. 5-10 but we can stay as little or as long as we like.

By the way, I've ridden several hundred PAIN-FREE miles since January and have already completed a few 60-mile rides, all PAIN-FREE in the elbows, thanks to the BandIt bands I wear on EVERY ride and my perfectly-dialed-in bike fitting done in late 2010. My biggest challenge is not pushing too hard, too fast. It's good to be back.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear you're back on the bike and pain free

I would love to ride in the Glenwood Springs area again but doubt I could make it this year. Take plenty of pictures and I hope it's another great ride.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea! It is a terrific place to ride with roads and trails long enough to suit any taste. Great scenery as well. (Wasn't it 2009??). I doubt we can get back out there this August though. I used the Caravan Inn again last year on Bicycle Tour Colorado as a gift for camping for two weeks. Unfortunately the Canyon Trail was covered in water and they had to bus us into to GS. We will be going just north of Glenwood Springs in a couple weeks when we spend the night in Carbondale. It sounds like the folks using the hotels will be bussed into Glenwood Springs for lodging. I suspect we'll use the trail up to Aspen the next day and will probably ride right by the lunch place we went to..........seems like it was Woody Creek or something like that.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Our group is planning our 2012 summer event in Glenwood Springs, CO. We did this in 2010 and had a blast, basically repeating the fun time we had there during the first 50+ group ride. Dates are Aug. 5-10 but we can stay as little or as long as we like.
    You got me thinking but school will be back in session so I'll be working again.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Beverly, it's great to be back. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures.

Joe: I believe it was 2009. The place is Woody Creek Tavern on the Rio Grande Trail on the way to Aspen. We stopped there twice last year. How anyone can ride by it without stopping is beyond me.

Retro: Hope you can make it sometime.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Thank you, Beverly, it's great to be back. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures.

Joe: I believe it was 2009. The place is Woody Creek Tavern on the Rio Grande Trail on the way to Aspen. We stopped there twice last year. How anyone can ride by it without stopping is beyond me.

And we have the jersey to prove we rode there
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Great idea! It is a terrific place to ride with roads and trails long enough to suit any taste. Great scenery as well. (Wasn't it 2009??). I doubt we can get back out there this August though. I used the Caravan Inn again last year on Bicycle Tour Colorado as a gift for camping for two weeks. Unfortunately the Canyon Trail was covered in water and they had to bus us into to GS. We will be going just north of Glenwood Springs in a couple weeks when we spend the night in Carbondale. It sounds like the folks using the hotels will be bussed into Glenwood Springs for lodging. I suspect we'll use the trail up to Aspen the next day and will probably ride right by the lunch place we went to..........seems like it was Woody Creek or something like that.
    The Glenwood Canyon Trail has been fixed.

Nora and I stayed in Carbondale last week, prior to our gospel singing group singing in DeBeque, Colorado. We will be staying there again on our way to singing in Hotchkiss in July.

Jen - I am so happy you are riding again!!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-28-12 at 05:54 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    And we have the jersey to prove we rode there
    And a photo of us drinking the root beer floats!
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    The Glenwood Canyon Trail has been fixed.

Nora and I stayed in Carbondale last week, prior to ou gospel singing group singing in DeBeque, Colorado. We will be staying there again on our way to singing in Hotchkiss in July.
    I saw that on-line, Denver. What a job to fix it! I hope you and Nora enjoyed your time there.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Nora and I stayed in Carbondale last week, prior to our gospel singing group singing in DeBeque, Colorado. We will be staying there again on our way to singing in Hotchkiss in July.
    Denver-as you probably know Hotchkiss and Carbondale are both stops for us this year in RtR. Any preferences on restaurants or hot spots we should look for? If Woody Creek Tavern is open early in the morning I might have to stop on the way to Aspen!!!
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen-thought it appropriate to share a couple photos from the inaugural event to stir up more interest.

BillyDon heading up the Trail:

GlenwoodSprings2009031.jpg

Some of the crew at Woody Creek Tavern for lunch:

GlenwoodSprings2009034.jpg

50+ Jersey's before heading out for the day:

GlenwoodSprings2009047.jpg
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We spent a week in GS last summer with our tandem.

Sorry, but we won't be going back this year, though I'd love to swim a mile or so every day in that pool.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if I can come or not, but I will contribute to the archives too. IMO, the Woody Creek Tavern is NOT to be missed. The Rio Grande Trail is really very, very nice. WCT used to be the hangout of the Gonzo Journalist Hunter S. Thompson. I saw Johnny Depp recently on David Letterman describing how he first met Hunter Thompson very late one night at the WCT. Thompson seems to have been some sort of friend/mentor to Depp I guess.

FWIW... on one of the days riding up to WCT I nearly rode up on a bear crossing the Trail up near there. It can happen.

When I was there with the group in 09 the WCT had a bike jersey for sale and I'm still regretting that I didn't buy one.

GlenwoodSprings2009026.jpgIMG_6613.jpgIMG_6571a.jpgIMG_6585.jpg

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I waited awhile before I told the wife that those large brown piles on the trail weren't from horses.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    You got me thinking but school will be back in session so I'll be working again.
    School in session August 5th? WTF? Al, you would really like the Rio Grande Trail... trust me.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot