Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Newbie intro (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/821342-newbie-intro.html)

nuttygrandma 05-28-12 03:13 PM

Newbie intro

I just spent the weekend with my 10 year old granddaugher, up in VA. She was riding her bike and I noticed she needs a new one. I also know she is going thru a rough patch with her parents and she is needing more and more time with grandma. One of my dreams has always been a 35 mile ride on the Rails to Trails paths up in Michigan but I don't live in MI anymore. I found a beautiful bike trail up in VA along the James River. I have been after my sister for 5 years to commit to a bike ride with me but she would always laugh at me. So, I asked my granddaughter if she would like to ride bikes on some bike trails this summer with me. She looked at me and quietly asked me if I even knew how to ride a bike. OH what that child did not know. She didn't know her grandma use to ride a bike instead of driving the 2 miles into town, when her oldest uncle was a baby. I had a wonderful baby carrier that fit right on the bike. She didn't know her grandfather and I use to make after-work dates and flexed our time so we could ride 8-10 miles around a city on the bike paths during summer time when her dad was a small child. She didn't know the only reason we gave up biking around was because our bikes were strictly street bikes and didn't handle country roads and shoulders well. She didn't know the last time I road a bike was 11 years ago however, the bike was NOT a good fit for me. I got confused over the 18 gears and that dang seat was so uncomfortable that I never wanted to ride again. After a 5 mile ride, I put the bike away and never touched it again until I moved 8 years ago.

Well, my granddaughter right at the moment is committed to seeing grandma ride a bike. We took a drive yesterday and visited my sister who has agreed to go with us on the trip along the James River, this fall. In the meantime, I need to get back into shape and build my biking ability. We went out and I found a bike that is very comfortable for me. My granddaughter is excited because she had input in what I bought and thought she was teaching me all the equipment I needed for safety. When we got back to my granddaughter's house, a friend of the family shared some tips with me to make riding even more comfortable, based on her lastest 35 mile ride. This morning, my granddaughter actualy got out of bed early, after telling me last night, going for a ride at 9AM was too early. Well, we were on the Dismal Swamp Chanel at 8 AM. It took me 1/4 mile to get the back derailleur down to 3rd gear. When we stopped so I could read a historical sign, my legs were like jelly. We pushed on to the 1/2 mile marker and I felt a little better. I'm sure hoping that was from the gears being set too high. I didn't push it so we turned around and went back to the car. I know I made some big mistakes and it won't happen again. The biggest thing we did was leave the house without any water. The humidity was way too high for any sort of exertion without extra water. If we would have waited even another hour, the humidity would have dropped.

I didn't think I was that "out of shape" but obviously, skipping the fitness center for the past 4 months was not a good thing. I know I need to build up my endurance and I can ride in the evenings. My bike travels very well on my car since I just drove 130 miles from VA back to NC. I'm gonna be bringing my granddaughter down for a few days mid to late June. I'm hoping to find a nice safe bike trail for us to ride together. I'm open for suggestions on how to build my endurance and how to find nice safe trails. There is no way I'm gonna be comfortable enough to do alot of inclines and declines at the moment.

Just another nutty grandma

10 Wheels 05-28-12 03:19 PM

Just do many 5 mile easy rides untill your body adapts well to the bike.

Take rest days when you need them.

Ask questions here when you run into a problem.

Most of all, have fun getting in bike riding shape.

stapfam 05-28-12 03:26 PM

You have a lot to do and it involves a word that you will shortly hate. That word is "Saddle" and what you have to get is "Saddle Time". Won't say every chance you get but as often as you can get the bike out on a local route and ride. Try to find a flat route direct from your house so it is easy to get to ride. if you can start on a 5 mile ride then good. If not- work up to a 5 mile ride.--Then each week just raise the mileage a bit to 10 miles. In other words- just ride.

It may hurt initially but back to that saddle. Sitting on a saddle will be painful. It may be the wrong saddle but you have to harden up the butt. Get the saddle and butt attuned to each other and it will be easier but until then you will experience the worst pain you think you have ever had and it is called "Butt Ache" Saddle time will improve the situation and by the time the Butt ache has stopped- you may be up to sensible mileage on your rides.

That is your first stage so what are you doing reading this. Get the bike out and ride---NOW.

cyclinfool 05-28-12 03:33 PM

Saddle time is indeed important. Even seasoned folks who have years of biking experience, when we take the winter off, those first few long rides are not comfortable.

10 Wheels 05-28-12 03:34 PM

Welcome to Bike Forums.

I started road riding when I was 65 years old, now 70.

Everything on my body HURT when I first rode.
I had to put foam pipe insulation on the handle bar grips, my hands hurt so much.

My first ride was 6 miles. Had to stop three times to rest.

Last Saturday I was able to ride 121 miles on a race bike.

Takes time but you will get in shape.

Mort Canard 05-28-12 04:26 PM

Welcome to the 50+ forum and welcome back to biking. There are a lot of folks around here including me who are on their second cycling career. We rode when we were young but life got in the way and we gave it up. I am about 5 years into my second career and in a lot better shape than I ever was in my 40s. You can do the same thing! Like the other folks have said, start putting in some saddle time at least 4 or 5 days a week. Find a Local Bike Shop (also known around here as a LBS) that you can trust and have them help you on any mechanical issues you have with the bike. Don't hesitate to ask questions on this forum or celebrate your achievements. Ya gotta brag every once in a while about new accomplishments! :D

Also at some point have a look at the Sticky thread at the top of the page called: "[h=3]Sticky: For the 50+ 'newbie' rider".[/h] There are about six questions there that you can use to introduce yourself or find out about other forum members. If you like put together your own post on the thread.

Again, welcome to the forum.

roccobike 05-28-12 05:12 PM

Welcome to bike forums. You know, of course, that your grandchild's house is not too far from the Virginia Creeper, a 30 mile, all downhill mild terrain bike path. Hybrid or Mountain bike recommended.

nuttygrandma 05-28-12 06:44 PM

OMG, so funny, just got back from another mile for the day. Dang, I'm up to 1 mile in 11 minutes. Saddle right at the moment, isn't the problem, It's jelly legs. Actually, the saddle on this bike is very comfortable and it's not even gel. Dang, I wish my car seat was this comfortable. Dang, if I can't sleep until the alarm goes off in the morning, I can get another mile in but this time, I'm on a street with gentle rises in the terrain.

qcpmsame 05-28-12 06:52 PM

Welcome to BF and the 50+ gang, nothing nutty about you at all. You are an inspiration for what you are doing for your granddaughter and yourself. Stick around and let us know how the training goes and your rides. BTW, we absolutely love pictures of our members and their bikes here. Also, Pie is a firm requirement as it is our official ride treat here. (A food group for me!!!) Looking forward to your posts.

You got excellent advice from everyone, I'll reinforce Mort's LBS part and Stapfams saddle advice and add to be sure you eat well before and after a ride ( good nutrients and sound food) and hydrate before and during your rides, especially in the summer heat.

Bill

berner 05-28-12 07:06 PM

Welcome Grandma. You have come to the right place. This is where you get to toot your horn and you will be applauded.

DnvrFox 05-28-12 07:47 PM

Welcome - started at 58yo.

Lots of good advice above. One more thought.

There is no "safe" bike path, because they are frequented by folks with dogs, pedestrians with small children and neophyte bike riders who don't know what they are doing and sometimes equestrians.

BUT, you can learn how to ride a bike path safely. Use a lot of common sense, be aware that children and dogs are totally unpredictable (along with some human adults), give lots of notice that you are there with a bell and yelling "passing" and further being aware that if they are wearing ear phones they probably didn't hear you. Don't be afraid to stop - and signal a stop so the quiet rider behind you doesn't hit you/ And, signal all your maneuvers such as turns. A bicycle is the ultimate stealth vehicle and EVERY time I don't signal, there is a bicycle behind me or overtaking me. I call it the theory of synchronicity.

Anytime you pass a young kid on a bike while yelling passing or ringing your bell, he/she is going to look back to his/her left and, at the same time, pull his/her bike to his left. Don't stopringing or yelling, just be aware of that instinctive reaction.

Horses tell where you are by listening. Ask permission to pass of the rider, and talk all the way through the passing. If passing while approaching, stop your bike and wait. Most horses are well-trained for paths, but not all. A friend of mine had his collarbone broken by a horse, and my wife was almost stepped on.

Anyway, there are a lot more tricks, but the above will get you started.

Have fun.

DnvrFox 05-28-12 07:58 PM

And, at 58 > 59, you are quite young.

You could ALMOST be my daughter <smirk> :) .

nuttygrandma 05-29-12 05:05 AM

Uh-oh, I think I think in different terms. When I think safety, I don't think of other cyclist, kids or horses but think in terms of assault that causes bodily harm, including death. Dang, I had to give up my evening walking 2 years ago and walk on an indoor treadmill 2 years ago. Things have gotten worse in this city, since then. I'm just a country gal from the midwest who lived in such a safe region that we never locked doors. But I decided to return to civilization and moved back east and to the south. I just picked what is now probably the wrong city. At least I'm not totally snowbound in the winters.

Hydration has been my secret to alot of things in life and I have been a bad girl for the past week. That was my major mistake yesterday morning when we were up in the Dismal Swamp Canel. I hadn't loaded up with my usual morning water and didn't take any with us. I wasn't too worried about horses or walker since we were there early in the morning. Yes, there were other bikes on the trail but it was pretty quiet. I wasn't even worried about bears and there were signs on the path warning about bear crossing (that's a new one for me). The shedded snake skin did make me shutter but at least I was warned that there are dreaded repitiles in the area.

When I got home and added a few accessories to my bike, I headed out and explored my neighborhood for a little while. At least I was walking those streets back in January so I couldn't get lost and I did have my cell with me that does have GPS. However, I once again took off in heat & humidity without water. OK, today is another day. I have to work so I'll have an opportunity to get my hydration back up. My mantra tonight will be, don't forget the water bottle.