Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't you just hate to cinch up the straps???

Stuffed my bike in the hard shell case and it's ready to be shipped to Colorado tomorrow. Every time I do this, I put the lid on the box, pull the straps tight and hold my breath. At least I remembered to put the dropout bars on both the front and the rear..........

I started to put a lot more stuff in the box than normal but decided not to. I was afraid I'd over pack my duffel bag and wind up with not enough space for everything. It is an adventure packing for a week of riding and camping with everything going in one bag.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only traveled once with a Thule hard shell case, which was last summer. This thing was huge and cumbersome to roll around airports. Even with all the padding and cinching I still had some mishaps.

1st, which is my fault: I removed the RD for the trip out, and couldn't get it reconnected. I actually stripped the first couple of threads trying to get it reattached. Had to take it to a bike shop, where they were able to tap out the threads with a tool they had. Now I'm afraid to remove the RD again

2nd, on the way back, I left the RD attached. I used a plastic spacer for the dropouts, which I picked up at a bike shop. When I got home I noticed the spacer was not in the dropouts, and was actually BENT. I can't imagine how much force there must have been on the rear triangle in order for that to happen. Fortunately the bike itself came through OK.
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

My Bikes
    Kestrel RT1000 & Calfee Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you have a great experience in CO. We did. Great riding and great weather.

Shipping a bike on a plane, or in a truck, etc. is not for the faint of heart. When we departed for the USA from Rome, I watched the baggage handlers push/pull a couple of triathlon race bikes, packed in padded travel cases, through the x-ray machine. Two pushed and one pulled.

Just get into the mindset that any fragile part on your bike can/will be damaged. Rear derailleurs are a prime candidate. If you have a disc on your wheel(s), I hope you took it off. It is an easy thing to overlook, but it is also pretty fragile if it is packed next to the case wall. It can easily get bent. I was lucky, but I learned to pack and pad everything and brace the case in several locations to hopefully prevent crushing.

I also keep a list of everything that should go into each case (we travel with our tandem). The list includes every tool I need to build it upon arrival, plus all bike parts. I also made a list of of the building sequence and tools needed at each step. It has been very helpful. Hope this helps ease your anxiety. I'm sure you will be fine.

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,

When are you leaving for Colorado and how are you getting to Gunnison? How do you deal with the bicycle case in Colorado?

I am flying to Denver on Monday. I will be packing my bicycle in my Aerus Biospeed softcase on Sunday. It should be small enough that I don't need to pay extra baggage fees, and I can deal with the case after I arrive.

I will try to call you later today. I need to figure out how cold it will be early in the morning on the rides. I prefer not wear a jacket, but have a couple different choices. I welcome your advice since you are a RTR veteran.

I understand I should't exercise the first few days in Denver to help acclimate to the altitude since I will have nearly a week at higher altitude prior to the rides. I plan one long ride this Saturday before my trip to Denver.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Q-When are you leaving for Colorado and how are you getting to Gunnison?
    A-We fly into Denver on Saturday 6/9 and they provide bus transportation from the DIA to Gunnison. It is a really long bus ride from DIA to Gunnison with no stops for snacks or food. At least 3 hours. Last year the bus driver burned up the brakes on the descent and we had to wait on a replacement bus. If my brother wasn't going with me I'd have used points for the shuttle from DIA to Gunnison but he can't afford it.

Q-How do you deal with the bicycle case in Colorado?
    A-I've shipped my bike to High Country Shipping to an address in Gunnison. They receive the bike box in Gunnison. I unpack it and assemble the bike when I arrive on Saturday pm. High Country takes the empty box to Ft Collins. Upon arriving in Ft Collins I pack it up and they ship it back to my house. High Country can probably take your bike case on to Ft Collins for a fee.

I am flying to Denver on Monday. I will be packing my bicycle in my Aerus Biospeed softcase on Sunday. It should be small enough that I don't need to pay extra baggage fees, and I can deal with the case after I arrive.

I will try to call you later today.
    A-Left you a voice mail.

Q-I need to figure out how cold it will be early in the morning on the rides. I prefer not wear a jacket, but have a couple different choices. I welcome your advice since you are a RTR veteran.
    A-I look at the weather forecast on my blackberry the night before. I'm generally on the road by 7 every day. Generally the temps start in the low 40's but it warms up pretty quickly. Most days I probably start with, arm warmers, leg or knee warmers, light long fingered gloves, technical tshirt, short sleeve cycling jersey and a vest. Leadville will be 10,000 ft so it could be different that morning. Depending on how high up we climb determines what to shed and when. I suspect I'll be wearing all that on Trail Ridge Rd. If the weather is like last year I will not have enough clothes in my whole bag to wear that day..........and more than likely they will not let us ride through the Park anyway!!

I understand I shouldn't exercise the first few days in Denver to help acclimate to the altitude since I will have nearly a week at higher altitude prior to the rides. I plan one long ride this Saturday before my trip to Denver.
    A-Heck, we get in after lunch on Saturday and are on our bikes at sunrise on Sunday going hard. Just listen to what your body feels like and adjust accordingly. Knock on wood I've never noticed the altitude stuff except when I bend over to get a water bottle when I'm riding. Then at 10,000 ft and above I almost faint every time!! The only thing I do notice is that my heart rate is about 15% less than riding around the house.

Should be a really fun week. Note: go into RtR's website and look at the routes. They use MapMyRide and it give you the start and finish mileage of the climbs and the % grade. Looks to be a really nice route overall. Climbing should be very manageable.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the way my bike looks before going into a regular bike box from my local LBS. It has been shipped on planes, trains, buses, ferries, and UPS without mishap. There are derailleur protectors on factory shipped bikes. They are trow away items at the bikes shops. Just ask for one.

Reassembly at destination. Our bikes were on 4 different flights getting here (Lisbon, Portugal).

Having said all that, I still cross my fingers!
    Last edited by Doug64; 06-01-12 at 03:55 PM.

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience with travel around the world with cardboard bike boxes is the same as Doug's. It's a matter of being organised and using judicious amounts of padding to prevent bits rubbing against each other. I've not even bothered to take off the rear derailleur. Reducing the amount of take-down/build-up also reduces the possibility of lost bits, making mistakes on reassembly, and wasted time at the airport before or after flying.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WP_000126.jpgWP_000127.jpg

The Limo is coming to pick me and my bicycle up in the morning. I will work a job in Commerce City near Denver next week. My wife will fly out to Denver on Thursday and we will drive to Gunnison on Saturday. I will check the bike case as luggage for the trip. United Airlines grants me 3 pieces of luggage up to 70 lb ea. The bike case will probably be my lightest piece of luggage.

Packing the bike was easier than trying to decide what bicycle gear to take in a big duffle bag. I am even taking new brake pads in the event that I will wear mine out. I also have to take luggage related to the job.

I think I am ready. I have been riding my age most every weekend. I felt really good after yesterday's ride.

I am almost as excited about Ride the Rockies as the Cape Argus Cycle Tour I completed in March. I wish I had bought the bicycle case before traveling to South Africa instead of renting a bicycle there.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my bike in Denver and have assembled it. It would have been easier with my bike stand. I was not charged to check my bicycle on United Airlines.

I hope I remembered to bring everything I need. I almost forgot to pack my HRM strap and my chamois cream. I brought my floor pump although it was bulky. I did remember to deflate my tires before flying it; so, I was happy to have the pump here in Denver.

The wind was quite gusty this evening.