User Tag List

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Memorial Day Kids "Race"

My son, Cat 2 Master, had two crits yesterday. As part of the race day they had two kids races, a 4 & under and a 5-10. Our two local grandsons, 4 and 9, did the big kids race, 1 mile around the course. The little kids did about 1/4 mile from the last turn to the finish. Race features everything from two-wheelers with/without coaster wheels and push bikes..

The older kid's race was one lap around the course, about 1 mile. The 4 y/o was accompanied by his dad, completed the ride no problem, but had some tears at the end since a bunch of kids beat him all of whom were 2-4 years older. These small bikes weigh as much as our tandem! Both the 4 and 9 y/o really enjoy cycling, but the youngster is going to be a terror: he's really competitive like his dad.

Beautiful weather, wide elevated grass area surrounding the course (industrial park). Great way to spend Memorial Day in memory of those who defended and continue to defend our country.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter was about 12 when we went out to an MTB race I was in. They had a Kids race there and My daughter was on her brand new Trek 820 MTB. Only a short lap but various laps for the age groups. They all started together and all I can remember was my daughter being stuck behind a younger rider for about 4 laps while the rest of her age went for it. When she did pass the other bike she went for it in a big way and passed everything that was in front of her till she was in the lead. Once she got in front- she flew.

She got a prize and after that she wanted to ride with daddy. She rode with our group for 4 years and rarely let herself down but eventually discovered boys. I was glad about that as I was struggling to stay with her on the hills and her bike needed replacing with something far better and I could not afford two new bikes. Mine needed replacing aswell.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the three generations of cycling aspect!

My husband and rode yesterday (Memorial Day) with my freshly graduated-from-college son and his buddy. Shortly into the ride, a young guy in full kit came pedaling up and asked if he could tag along.
    Well, it quickly turned into a slightly more competitive ride amongst the others, and there was poor mom (me) struggling to keep up!

I was suffering way more than I thought I should have been. I thought it must be the heat (90+ degrees), or that I had ridden 22 miles the day before, or that I had completed 3-1/2 hours of gardening immediately before the ride.
    Nevertheless, I seemed to be struggling more than I should have. I had to stoop to walking the bike up the last hill! When I got home, I checked the bike to find that my front brake pad was askew and gently rubbing along my wheel!!!! I made sure I pointed it out to my son and his father lest they think the old girl was losing her legs!

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    I love the three generations of cycling aspect!

My husband and rode yesterday (Memorial Day) with my freshly graduated-from-college son and his buddy. Shortly into the ride, a young guy in full kit came pedaling up and asked if he could tag along.
    Well, it quickly turned into a slightly more competitive ride amongst the others, and there was poor mom (me) struggling to keep up!

I was suffering way more than I thought I should have been. I thought it must be the heat (90+ degrees), or that I had ridden 22 miles the day before, or that I had completed 3-1/2 hours of gardening immediately before the ride.
    Nevertheless, I seemed to be struggling more than I should have. I had to stoop to walking the bike up the last hill! When I got home, I checked the bike to find that my front brake pad was askew and gently rubbing along my wheel!!!! I made sure I pointed it out to my son and his father lest they think the old girl was losing her legs!
    I can ride with my son when he's on a really easy recovery ride, but I'm going to get him on the back of the tandem under threat of "disownment" once a year. The older grandson I think will just fit on the back of the tandem and can definitely produce useful power, especially power to weight! It's a good family activity. When my twin sons were just 10 the family took a 400 mile bike trip - planned for 8 days, but finished in four due to the stamina of those little guys.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Beautiful weather, wide elevated grass area surrounding the course (industrial park). Great way to spend Memorial Day in memory of those who defended and continue to defend our country.
    Nothing says "thank you" quite as much as a day sharing the peace and freedom soldiers died for.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.