Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What's the Deal with the Pies :-) Another new BF member - Intro

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-12, 09:52 PM

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone, I just joined the forums recently and have enjoyed some of the posts....especially the 50+ group.

So first a little info about me. This weekend I finished my first year of road cycling, had not really ridden bicycles since I was in college. I've become quite fond of cycling.

During the last year I've put around 6,500 miles on the bike and did my first 200k or 126 mile ride (brevet) on May 12th. I'm currently training for a 2day 250 mile ride at the end of June. My co-workers and "non" cycling friends think I'm crazy, yeah maybe a little.

Where I ride it is almost always hot, windy and high humidity (90%) is very common. We don't have hills, just large bridges and causeways. The 250 mile ride does have some rolling hills and temps will most likely be in excess of 100 during the afternoon. Yeah maybe I am crazy after all

Anyway back to the pies.... I'm assuming that is some type of reward for all those long and/or maybe short rides? If so, where I live it would be Ice Cream (after the ride), Pan Dulce or a nice Raspa along the way!

Maybe one of these days I'll go somewhere and do a ride where there are actually hills and the temps, winds and humidity are not so overwhelming....just don't expect me to ride in temps under 40 degrees :-)

Anyway, keep up the posts and remember if I can ride the bike for all those miles so can others in the 50+ group. My goal is to catch my best friend, he's 74 and rides 8,000 to 10,000 miles a year.

Best regards and happy cycling,
Richard
Old 05-30-12, 12:33 AM

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Pie is sacred. No season is complete without a Ride for Pie.

I am seeking ordination in the Holy Cyclist Order of Pie and take my sacraments seriously.

Pie a la mode brings me closer to God.
Old 05-30-12, 01:07 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
How can you do a ride without the Carbs that Pie contains. There may be other foods around to give the same effect but none taste or are as good as Pie. On those days when it is pouring down with rain that is just about to freeze and a 30mph wind that will stop you dead in your tracks- you will still have Pie to ride for. Gives you a reason to jump on the saddle and enjoy yourself. On top of that Pie is part of the 50+ culture so take it steady and start on Pie. It will improve everything- including your weight gain so yet another reason to get on your bike to use up the carbs so you can have another slice of Pie.

Besides Pie we like pics. So get the camera out and post some of your bike and your local rides.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-30-12, 04:34 AM

Bikes: Giant Sedona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the group and many happy miles cycling. I'm sure glad someone explained the logic behind pies. I'm like you and think in terms if ice cream. Unfortunately for me, the local DQ is only 1 mile away. I have walked it before. I just have to remember, it's all downhill getting there. With the summer heat and humidity, I'm not sure even the ice cream would settle too well unless I was making a return trip in air conditioning. So, maybe the pie is the better choice.
Old 05-30-12, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome, Richard. It is a little known fact that if there is a fountain of youth, it is hidden in the properties of pie. While there is some debate about the merits of different pie (blueberry being the one most highly sought because of the extraordinary nutritional value of blueberries) it is accepted that any pie is better than no pie. Given that the typical bicycle has an abundance of circles (wheels, chain rings, cassette cogs, handlebar end caps, spoke holes, etc.) and that we strive to pedal in circles, cyclist seem to have a special affinity for pie/pi.
Old 05-30-12, 06:12 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Pie + bicycles means a complete life! I treasure both, birthdays for me means a pie instead of cake. Been this way since I was a teenager and my mom began making chocolate pies since I wouldn't touch a birthday cake. The wife makes me Pecan pies for the occasion. Annual Pie rides, riding you age on your birthday, etc., are reasons for a piece of pie but I prefer Stapfam's thinking of a ride requiring pie, regardless of the ride or reason.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-30-12, 06:13 AM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish to state that being "quite fond" of riding is not an adequate description of that which should be a true, overwhelming passion. Please go back and try that one again.

Having said that, welcome. I'll have a strawberry rhubarb pie please. In fact having mentioned that, maybe I ought to try to make a strawberry rhubarb pie this weekend, given that strawberries and rhubarb are both in season. Anyone got a good recipe?
Old 05-30-12, 06:19 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Welcome Richard!

Pie is mandatory if you do a ride over 50 miles. It is especially important that you have pie after your birthday ride; one mile for each year you are old. Those are the rules. The kind of pie you choose isn't as important as the fact that you are eating pie.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-30-12, 06:21 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
How deep south are you? San Antonio? McAllen? South Padre Island?

Old 05-30-12, 06:43 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm diabetic so riding for pies is only a memory. Sure, you can make sugar-free pies, but you don't usuallyl find them at a restaurant along the road. However, my bike club's motto is "Volamus ut Edamus, Edimus UT Volemus" ("We Ride to Eat, We Eat to Ride") and I embrace that spirit. There are other enjoyable foods besides pie - things I can eat.
Old 05-30-12, 06:43 AM

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Then there is the "other" Pie as in Pi . 3.14. It is non fating. When you think of this pi while riding it is the number of decimal places you can say. Although a pie may be in a movie pi has It's own movie https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138704/ i can always find pi while pie is difficult to find and very expensive.

So I forgo pie for pi ( licence plate PIE4PI, PI4PIE,or 3144pie

My rides are always are for pi and sometimes for pie.

This thought break is brought to you by Pie

This diddly is going down hill fast
Old 05-30-12, 06:52 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
CHECK THAT GUY'S ID!

If you have to ask "What's the deal with the pies?" I'm not sure you belong here.
Old 05-30-12, 07:47 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

6500 miles in your first year back in cycling is pretty serious mileage indeed.

Pie is nice occasionally after a ride. As you can see, some of us get a little carried away about it. I'd just as soon have a good craft beer myself.
Old 05-30-12, 07:48 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I'd just as soon have a good craft beer myself.
Beer is just a pie in liquid form.
Old 05-30-12, 08:13 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg

6500 miles in your first year back in cycling is pretty serious mileage indeed.

Pie is nice occasionally after a ride. As you can see, some of us get a little carried away about it. I'd just as soon have a good craft beer myself.
Or.... with enough miles both?
Old 05-30-12, 09:09 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Rwc5830
Anyway back to the pies.... I'm assuming that is some type of reward for all those long and/or maybe short rides? If so, where I live it would be Ice Cream (after the ride), Pan Dulce or a nice Raspa along the way!
I dunno, I just eat breakfast.

But my wife gets the pie.

Then again, she's closer to 50 than I am. She crosses over the hill in July, I don't get there until October.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Last edited by Doohickie; 05-30-12 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-30-12, 09:35 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Welcome Richard!

Pie is mandatory if you do a ride over 50 miles. It is especially important that you have pie after your birthday ride; one mile for each year you are old. Those are the rules. The kind of pie you choose isn't as important as the fact that you are eating pie.
WRONG

The OFFICIAL 50+ pie is blueberry.

Some may wander from the real truth and eat varieties such as apple and banana cream, and believe that is it just a blueberry variant, but I am here to tell them that they are wrong!!

BTW, our https://www.villageinn.com/pies/Village Inns have a "no sugar added" apple pie. I don't know if that meets the requirement for diabetics, but if you are ever in Village Inn land you might check it out.
Old 05-30-12, 09:52 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
not so much 4&20 blackbirds, but Chicken Pot Pies are good.
Old 05-30-12, 10:46 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
WRONG

Some may wander from the real truth and eat varieties such as apple and banana cream, and believe that is it just a blueberry variant, but I am here to tell them that they are wrong!!

BTW, our https://www.villageinn.com/pies/Village Inns have a "no sugar added" apple pie. I don't know if that meets the requirement for diabetics, but if you are ever in Village Inn land you might check it out.
I love blueberry pie, but prefer cherry or banana cream pies. I guess that means I'm being blackballed.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-30-12, 10:55 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
WRONG

Denver's a little hard core about blueberry being the only worthy pie. I'm thinking that all that living at high altitude has left him a little light headed.
Old 05-30-12, 11:05 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
We don't have Blueberries over here so I substitute "Fruits of the Forest" But Blueberry is the ultimate. Unfortunately many jump straight in - thinking they are Man enough- and take it as the one you have to eat. Blueberry takes some working up to. Start with Apple- then apricot or peach- possibly Key lime and then start on the next level of Mince or Date pie. Chocolate can come in there too but it has to be the Bitter chocolate and not the sappy Milk chocolate that is so popular in the UK. One or two substitutes can be made if you are desperate such as Cheesecake or Bakewell tart but it must have the pastry base to count.

After a summer of progressing up the severity of Pie- and it will take a full Summer- then you could be ready for the Blueberry on the 3rd saturday in September which is the official Pie ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-30-12, 11:22 AM

Bikes: Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's simple pie for power.
Old 05-30-12, 11:25 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Blueberry takes some working up to.
Not for those of us who started on blueberry at age 2.

Speaking of pi, the roundest knight as King Arthur's Round Table was Sir Cumference. Probably from eating pie.
Old 05-30-12, 11:36 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
I'm diabetic so riding for pies is only a memory. Sure, you can make sugar-free pies, but you don't usuallyl find them at a restaurant along the road. However, my bike club's motto is "Volamus ut Edamus, Edimus UT Volemus" ("We Ride to Eat, We Eat to Ride") and I embrace that spirit. There are other enjoyable foods besides pie - things I can eat.
I think ice cream is an acceptable substitute for us.
Old 05-30-12, 11:39 AM

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
PIE TOWN New Mexico

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g47150-Pie_Town_New_Mexico-Vacations.html

Don't believe it Google Earth pie town

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.