Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the Deal with the Pies :-) Another new BF member - Intro

Hello everyone, I just joined the forums recently and have enjoyed some of the posts....especially the 50+ group.

So first a little info about me. This weekend I finished my first year of road cycling, had not really ridden bicycles since I was in college. I've become quite fond of cycling.

During the last year I've put around 6,500 miles on the bike and did my first 200k or 126 mile ride (brevet) on May 12th. I'm currently training for a 2day 250 mile ride at the end of June. My co-workers and "non" cycling friends think I'm crazy, yeah maybe a little.

Where I ride it is almost always hot, windy and high humidity (90%) is very common. We don't have hills, just large bridges and causeways. The 250 mile ride does have some rolling hills and temps will most likely be in excess of 100 during the afternoon. Yeah maybe I am crazy after all

Anyway back to the pies.... I'm assuming that is some type of reward for all those long and/or maybe short rides? If so, where I live it would be Ice Cream (after the ride), Pan Dulce or a nice Raspa along the way!

Maybe one of these days I'll go somewhere and do a ride where there are actually hills and the temps, winds and humidity are not so overwhelming....just don't expect me to ride in temps under 40 degrees :-)

Anyway, keep up the posts and remember if I can ride the bike for all those miles so can others in the 50+ group. My goal is to catch my best friend, he's 74 and rides 8,000 to 10,000 miles a year.

Best regards and happy cycling,
    Richard
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pie is sacred. No season is complete without a Ride for Pie.

I am seeking ordination in the Holy Cyclist Order of Pie and take my sacraments seriously.

Pie a la mode brings me closer to God.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can you do a ride without the Carbs that Pie contains. There may be other foods around to give the same effect but none taste or are as good as Pie. On those days when it is pouring down with rain that is just about to freeze and a 30mph wind that will stop you dead in your tracks- you will still have Pie to ride for. Gives you a reason to jump on the saddle and enjoy yourself. On top of that Pie is part of the 50+ culture so take it steady and start on Pie. It will improve everything- including your weight gain so yet another reason to get on your bike to use up the carbs so you can have another slice of Pie.

Besides Pie we like pics. So get the camera out and post some of your bike and your local rides.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Giant Sedona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group and many happy miles cycling. I'm sure glad someone explained the logic behind pies. I'm like you and think in terms if ice cream. Unfortunately for me, the local DQ is only 1 mile away. I have walked it before. I just have to remember, it's all downhill getting there. With the summer heat and humidity, I'm not sure even the ice cream would settle too well unless I was making a return trip in air conditioning. So, maybe the pie is the better choice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Richard. It is a little known fact that if there is a fountain of youth, it is hidden in the properties of pie. While there is some debate about the merits of different pie (blueberry being the one most highly sought because of the extraordinary nutritional value of blueberries) it is accepted that any pie is better than no pie. Given that the typical bicycle has an abundance of circles (wheels, chain rings, cassette cogs, handlebar end caps, spoke holes, etc.) and that we strive to pedal in circles, cyclist seem to have a special affinity for pie/pi.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pie + bicycles means a complete life! I treasure both, birthdays for me means a pie instead of cake. Been this way since I was a teenager and my mom began making chocolate pies since I wouldn't touch a birthday cake. The wife makes me Pecan pies for the occasion. Annual Pie rides, riding you age on your birthday, etc., are reasons for a piece of pie but I prefer Stapfam's thinking of a ride requiring pie, regardless of the ride or reason.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday bike (also fun bike)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish to state that being "quite fond" of riding is not an adequate description of that which should be a true, overwhelming passion. Please go back and try that one again.

Having said that, welcome. I'll have a strawberry rhubarb pie please. In fact having mentioned that, maybe I ought to try to make a strawberry rhubarb pie this weekend, given that strawberries and rhubarb are both in season. Anyone got a good recipe?
    Zero gallons to the mile

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Richard!

Pie is mandatory if you do a ride over 50 miles. It is especially important that you have pie after your birthday ride; one mile for each year you are old. Those are the rules. The kind of pie you choose isn't as important as the fact that you are eating pie.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How deep south are you? San Antonio? McAllen? South Padre Island?

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm diabetic so riding for pies is only a memory. Sure, you can make sugar-free pies, but you don't usuallyl find them at a restaurant along the road. However, my bike club's motto is "Volamus ut Edamus, Edimus UT Volemus" ("We Ride to Eat, We Eat to Ride") and I embrace that spirit. There are other enjoyable foods besides pie - things I can eat.

My Bikes
    Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Motobecane Gran Turismo , KHS Urban X
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then there is the "other" Pie as in Pi . 3.14. It is non fating. When you think of this pi while riding it is the number of decimal places you can say. Although a pie may be in a movie pi has It's own movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138704/ i can always find pi while pie is difficult to find and very expensive.

So I forgo pie for pi ( licence plate PIE4PI, PI4PIE,or 3144pie

My rides are always are for pi and sometimes for pie.

This thought break is brought to you by Pie

This diddly is going down hill fast

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CHECK THAT GUY'S ID!

If you have to ask "What's the deal with the pies?" I'm not sure you belong here.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6500 miles in your first year back in cycling is pretty serious mileage indeed.

Pie is nice occasionally after a ride. As you can see, some of us get a little carried away about it. I'd just as soon have a good craft beer myself.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I'd just as soon have a good craft beer myself.
    Beer is just a pie in liquid form.
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post

6500 miles in your first year back in cycling is pretty serious mileage indeed.

Pie is nice occasionally after a ride. As you can see, some of us get a little carried away about it. I'd just as soon have a good craft beer myself.
    Or.... with enough miles both?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rwc5830 View Post
    Anyway back to the pies.... I'm assuming that is some type of reward for all those long and/or maybe short rides? If so, where I live it would be Ice Cream (after the ride), Pan Dulce or a nice Raspa along the way!
    I dunno, I just eat breakfast.

But my wife gets the pie.

Then again, she's closer to 50 than I am. She crosses over the hill in July, I don't get there until October.
    Last edited by Doohickie; 05-30-12 at 09:18 AM.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    Welcome Richard!

Pie is mandatory if you do a ride over 50 miles. It is especially important that you have pie after your birthday ride; one mile for each year you are old. Those are the rules. The kind of pie you choose isn't as important as the fact that you are eating pie.
    WRONG

The OFFICIAL 50+ pie is blueberry.

Some may wander from the real truth and eat varieties such as apple and banana cream, and believe that is it just a blueberry variant, but I am here to tell them that they are wrong!!

BTW, our http://www.villageinn.com/pies/Village Inns have a "no sugar added" apple pie. I don't know if that meets the requirement for diabetics, but if you are ever in Village Inn land you might check it out.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not so much 4&20 blackbirds, but Chicken Pot Pies are good.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    WRONG

Some may wander from the real truth and eat varieties such as apple and banana cream, and believe that is it just a blueberry variant, but I am here to tell them that they are wrong!!

BTW, our http://www.villageinn.com/pies/Village Inns have a "no sugar added" apple pie. I don't know if that meets the requirement for diabetics, but if you are ever in Village Inn land you might check it out.
    I love blueberry pie, but prefer cherry or banana cream pies. I guess that means I'm being blackballed.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    WRONG

Denver's a little hard core about blueberry being the only worthy pie. I'm thinking that all that living at high altitude has left him a little light headed.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't have Blueberries over here so I substitute "Fruits of the Forest" But Blueberry is the ultimate. Unfortunately many jump straight in - thinking they are Man enough- and take it as the one you have to eat. Blueberry takes some working up to. Start with Apple- then apricot or peach- possibly Key lime and then start on the next level of Mince or Date pie. Chocolate can come in there too but it has to be the Bitter chocolate and not the sappy Milk chocolate that is so popular in the UK. One or two substitutes can be made if you are desperate such as Cheesecake or Bakewell tart but it must have the pastry base to count.

After a summer of progressing up the severity of Pie- and it will take a full Summer- then you could be ready for the Blueberry on the 3rd saturday in September which is the official Pie ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's simple pie for power.
    "It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up after a night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done for someone you love". Blazeman, Warrior Poet

11 Giant Talon 1, 10 Masi 3VC, 08 Long Haul Trucker, 08 Felt Curbside, 99 Specialized Allez

What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Blueberry takes some working up to.
    Not for those of us who started on blueberry at age 2.

Speaking of pi, the roundest knight as King Arthur's Round Table was Sir Cumference. Probably from eating pie.
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueToe View Post
    I'm diabetic so riding for pies is only a memory. Sure, you can make sugar-free pies, but you don't usuallyl find them at a restaurant along the road. However, my bike club's motto is "Volamus ut Edamus, Edimus UT Volemus" ("We Ride to Eat, We Eat to Ride") and I embrace that spirit. There are other enjoyable foods besides pie - things I can eat.
    I think ice cream is an acceptable substitute for us.

My Bikes
    Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Motobecane Gran Turismo , KHS Urban X
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PIE TOWN New Mexico

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g47150-Pie_Town_New_Mexico-Vacations.html

Don't believe it Google Earth pie town

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast