Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Got the new Tiagra 12/30 cassette. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/822069-got-new-tiagra-12-30-cassette.html)

stapfam 05-31-12 02:49 PM

Got the new Tiagra 12/30 cassette.

That new ratio that some of us have been looking for to just give that lower gear. Fitted it to the Handbuilt wheels and then fitted those to Boreas. It is a compact crank- 50/34 and a 105 rear mech. Had to set the Screw that pushes the DR away from the frame as far as possible as on the setting I had it on- in 34/30- the jockey wheel was touching the 30 ring. Will have to check on the Pinarrelo as this is a full Tiagra groupset and is the bike it is intended for.

Couple of other things came aswell and NO PICS yet as I have been working on the bikes all afternoon. But New "Roadie" shoes. Shimano SPD-SL and model no. R077. Felt comfortable enough----Till I put the cleats on. Duck walk doesn't come into it. More like a pregnant Turkey. I have a set of Time pedals and I could not engage the cleats into the pedals. Loosened the tension to minimum and although not the easiest to engage- I did manage it. Unclipping is easy so no problems there. Advantage of these shoes is that they will also take SPD cleats so if I don't like the pedals I can revert to my A520's.

The other thing I got was a Race Faster Pack of High 5 gels and drink supplements. I want to try the various types that are available and this is the cheapest way to get a selection to try.

So test ride tomorrow---Now where did I put those Tombay certificates?

10 Wheels 05-31-12 03:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just installed a new 12-30 Tiagra cassette on the Red BMC (compact 50-34).

Works fine with no changes needed.

Planning to ride some hills in Tennessee soon after June 9th.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=253514

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=253513

Dudelsack 05-31-12 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 14296237)
Planning to ride some hills in Tennessee soon after June 9th.

No, not Tennessee! What are you thinking?

10 Wheels 05-31-12 03:17 PM

[QUOTE=Dudelsack;14296276]No, not Tennessee! What are you thinking?[/QUOTE]

Big Hills

volosong 05-31-12 05:15 PM

I'm waiting for the Ultegra version. Have seen it advertised, but nobody has it yet, (at least last time I check several weeks ago). I'm really looking forward to one too. If it works well, I'll dump the triples and just go with the compact from now on.

gtragitt 05-31-12 06:26 PM

I put a 12-30 Tiagra on my bicycle with a compact crankset. I also have an Ultegra Di2 rear derailleur that works fine with the 12-20. I considered it an inexpensive experiment. I will use it in June for Ride the Rockies. I will probably switch back to my 11-28 Ultegra after the ride. Since RTR is in June, I didn't wait for the Ultegra 12-30.

moppeddler 05-31-12 07:04 PM

According to the website for Trek, I have a 12-30 on my 1.5. Or so I thought. I counted the gears recently, and it's a 11-26! I really suck at hills. Wish I had at least a 28.

stapfam 06-01-12 03:05 AM

Trial ride and that 30 is low in comparison to a 27. When fitting it--On 10 speed cassettes there is a spacer that has to be fitted with all my other 10 speed cassettes. It is not required on this wheel with the Tiagra cassette. May be with others so check as you fit to see if it is required.

Those Shoes and Time pedals. Left foot goes in a treat. bit firmer push than I am used to but the right one is a problem. Rode down the townwith foot resting on the pedal. Did my chores and coming back and the right foot just connected after two turns of the pedal. Unclipped and it would not go in again till 1/2 mile later it just slipped in. Will have to practice that right foot and check the tension is loose. And as I thought- It is pregnant Turkey walk with these shoes.

gtragitt 06-01-12 06:25 AM

I didn't use the spacer with the Tiagra.

10 Wheels 06-01-12 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by gtragitt (Post 14298634)
I didn't use the spacer with the Tiagra.

Same with mine...there was not enough room for the spacer.

billydonn 06-01-12 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 14298643)
Same with mine...there was not enough room for the spacer.

No spacer either.

rdtompki 06-01-12 10:31 AM

I'm running a 12-32 with my compact crank (50-34). The steps on the 12-30 are very nice, but I don't know that 30 is quite low enough. Did a medium climb last weekend that had 2 solid miles of 9.5-12% and while I did just fine, the cadence was about as low as I want to go. Still, might give it a try on routes with less of a climb.

stapfam 06-01-12 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by volosong (Post 14296748)
I'm waiting for the Ultegra version. Have seen it advertised, but nobody has it yet, (at least last time I check several weeks ago). I'm really looking forward to one too. If it works well, I'll dump the triples and just go with the compact from now on.

This is what I am hoping to do- Those hills have got longer and steeper over the winter and This should give me just that bit extra with the compact. But the comparison between Tiagra and Ultegra- The only difference is weight--quality of performance is the same. But with the extra weight of the Tiagra come a bit more durability. Then in view of the fact that I am not looking for grammes off the bike and the fact that I want that gearing now---I went for the Tiagra.

Camilo 06-01-12 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 14298321)
....Those Shoes and Time pedals. Left foot goes in a treat. bit firmer push than I am used to but the right one is a problem. Rode down the townwith foot resting on the pedal. Did my chores and coming back and the right foot just connected after two turns of the pedal. Unclipped and it would not go in again till 1/2 mile later it just slipped in. Will have to practice that right foot and check the tension is loose. ...

I find that when I'm having trouble clipping into my Time RXS pedals, my foot is too far outward. The ball of your foot, where it clips in, has to be pretty close to the crank arm. Concentrate on that, see if it helps.

Timtruro 06-01-12 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by volosong (Post 14296748)

Just got a 12/25 in Ultegra, did not see any 12-30 as yet.