Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell me about your handlebar tape.

It may be one of the most unappreciated parts of your bike, but lately it's been the unresolved bit with my overall riding experience. I noted one of my bikes needed some new tape. So, I picked up some at REI. After riding with it for two days, I realized I was not happy with it. So, I next get some Bontrager tape. Same thingÖ. a few days later Iím not happy with it. It just doesnít feel right. OK, so today I put on some Cinelli cork tape, and it doesnít feel right. Iím starting to wonder whatís going on. What is your favorite tape and why?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you be more specific about what feels wrong about it? Too hard? Too soft? Not grippy enough? I assume that color is not the issue. Have you considered gels under the tape? I prefer bars wrapped thick and nearly sofa pillow soft, but that's just me.

My current favorite is Deda... soft, thick and nice color selection... or Fizik soft touch.. thinner, but nice textures and contrasting inbeded logos in some. Shown below is the Deda in a navy blue color... though the pic makes it look brighter than it is. There is a nice Deda maroon tape too.

P1030342b.jpg
    Last edited by billydonn; 06-01-12 at 08:43 PM.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Specialized and the Cannondale corks are my favorites NOS. they have a nice feel to them, not squishy but firm with good grip for my large hands to hold on to. They both allow me to use a light grip that does not tire or load my forearms. For all I know they are made ny the same company, they seem very similar and I'd be happy with either depending on stock at my LBS.

I tried Cinelli on my R500 and I didn't like it at all. it seemed flimsy to me. Best of luck in deciding on and finding a good bar wrap.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Can you be more specific about what feels wrong about it? Too hard? Too soft? Not grippy enough? I assume that color is not the issue. Have you considered gels under the tape? I prefer bars wrapped thick and nearly sofa pillow soft, but that's just me.

My current favorite is Deda... soft, thick and nice color selection... or Fizik soft touch.. thinner, but nice textures and contrasting inbeded logos in some. Shown below is the Deda in a navy blue color... though the pic makes it look brighter than it is. There is a nice Deda maroon tape too.

P1030342b.jpg
    Sure they feel thinner. I was using Bontrager, but they seem to have changed their gel tapes. It doesn't seem the same. The REI tape just feel thin and rough. The Cinelli feels thinner than all of them.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Specialized Gel tape and was quite happy with it. I needed to replace it after retrofitting my Ultegra 6700 shifters to Ultegra Di2. George recommended Lizard Skins. He did a fantastic job wrapping my bars. I bought some new fizik gel, but we didn't use it. I really like the Lizard Skins. I even purchased red and black tape. I love the way it looks. The Lizard Skins is comfortable even without the gel that I had become accustomed to.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Sure they feel thinner. I was using Bontrager, but they seem to have changed their gel tapes. It doesn't seem the same. The REI tape just feel thin and rough. The Cinelli feels thinner than all of them.
    I wear gloves and ride with a light touch on the bars.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried pretty much all. My favorites used to be Deda and Fizik. For a long time before it used to be Cinelli. But recently I tried Zipp. It's by far the best. It cushions better that Deda or Cinelli cork but also stretchs when you put it so so it's not really thick and has better grip than Fizik.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtragitt View Post
    I had Specialized Gel tape and was quite happy with it. I needed to replace it after retrofitting my Ultegra 6700 shifters to Ultegra Di2. George recommended Lizard Skins. He did a fantastic job wrapping my bars. I bought some new fizik gel, but we didn't use it. I really like the Lizard Skins. I even purchased red and black tape. I love the way it looks. The Lizard Skins is comfortable even without the gel that I had become accustomed to.
    +1 to Lizard Skins. I should have mentioned that. I have the black/white combo on one bike and it rocks... I still used gels but that's just me. It's also the grippiest stuff going. I like it a lot.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love screwing around with my bar tape. My commuter has this Rasta splash pattern made by Salsa. Several years ago I bought and used up several rolls of a black tape with a white desert and cycling motif (cacti,cogs, wheels, cow skulls, lizards, etc.), marketed by Scott. It felt rough but it was durable and started a lot of conversations. Bontrager is too spongy, and I hate gel--don't need it, really. I'm into LizardSkins now--durable as anything, washable, and the texture is addictive.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always used cloth tape. My wife prefers a bit of pipe insulation under hers on the tandem, but still cloth. I actually prefer it when it gets old enough that I have wrapped a third layer over it.

My Bikes
    2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leather is my favourite bar tape, however, it's pricey.

I also have found Bontrager gel cork tape pretty good, although personally I haven't seen a lot of difference from one brand to the other over the years. It may just be me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last couple times I used Fizik Microtex and had no complaints. However, I'm going to give Naubaum cloth tape a try next. I just received two rolls for $10 in the mail today. I hate to admit it but my decision to switch is based mostly on color.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bar tape and previous bikes have always had a proprietary tape supplied with them. Never thought anything about it but it was black and covered the bars. Last bike I got and the tape supplied was "White". Built up the bike and the last job to do was tape the bars. Forgot to go to the shop and get black tape so used the Tape supplied and it was Pinarrelo branded tape. Looked at it and it was a bit thicker than I had previously used-might be a reason for that. It may be white and it may be grubby but that tape is the best I have had on a bike so far. Bit thicker than the usual I have previously used and haven't bothered changing it yet.----But it is no longer grubby- it is dirty.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noted one of my bikes needed some new tape.
    Is there any way you can contact the manufacturer to find out which make of tape was supplied originally? Can your LBS not make an educated guess?

Plan B - how about changing your gloves . . . :o)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fizik dual. it is a strip of black and then a strip of another color (your choice) overlapped %50 and then sewn together the long way. when you wrap it, its easy to keep it nice and straight because there is stitch down the middle and you bars end up with a double layer all around. you can flip it over and have solid black or white
    $(KGrHqF,!hUE5qbS1bYSBOhV-mwuHw~~60_57.jpgSAM_0399.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 Kestrel RT900SL, 800k carbon, chorus/record, speedplay, zonda
    1997 Trek ZX6000, 6061w/manitou spyder, xt/xtr, time atac

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a bar tape that I used exclusively and liked. It was Sette ultralight tape and it is no longer sold under that brand name. I'll describe it because it may be available under different names.

It was the tape that hade holes in it with a double row of stiching down the center. It sometimes comes in two colors on each side of the stiching. I liked it because it reminded me of the tape that we used to use on tennis racquets. It has a grippy feel without being sticky. It works when wet. It's soft without being thick. It had an adhesive backing which I liked but some may not.

Very similar to the post just above I think but with adhesive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fizik microtex, used to use Cinelli. I really like the Fizik.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced the OEM Colnago white tape with some Zipp tape and really noticed a difference in the way it grips and cushions. The tape is washable and being white, the dirt comes off real easy. However, any bleeding from the dye on your gloves remains on the tape. I'm thinking of changing saddles, so when I do, I'll change the saddle and tape colors to match.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't use the stuff. Have no need of it.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the gel (though not much in there except one little strip) padded, cork-like stuff. The feel of something grippy and padded under the gloves is just nice.

The brand/company doesnt matter so much as long as it's black and not thin.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Easton as it's long enough and it feels good and it come in a yellow that matches my bike. I also have bar phat under it and I'm really comfortable on it. Unfortunately I had a box of Nashbar yellow (too pale and too short) available so I used it. It's "OK" but not my fav. I also gotta undo and redo the right side. I goofed a bit and it's driving me crazy.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh oh! We may have found another "chain lube" topic - better suited for the Politics and Religion board. If you decide to post that question in the Road forum, you might want to blanket your computer monitor with a kevlar blanket.

I used nothing but unpadded Cinelli cork for ages. Wet or dry, it was never slippery and always felt good to me. Then, the last time that I reworked my Klein I chose Deda because I couldn't get Cinelli in gray. I liked the Deda just fine too.

Since I started riding recumbents I haven't wrapped a handlebar. I have some pricy but ultra-cool leather handgrips on my recumbent. If I ever rework my old "retro grouch" road bike again, I think it might get Brooks leather handlebar wrap as well.

My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Triple, Schwinn Passage, Raleigh Tech 420, Viner Road Record, Soma Sport, Schwinn Tempo, Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Takara Prestige SS, Diamondback Outlook
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most often, it's BELL Black from Wally World.
    Sometimes, it's a case of "Who has the color I'm looking for."
    And then there's the Hockey tape method.
    I'm not pokey, but I'm certainly not speedy... sorta half-fast, I guess...

My Bikes
    Dreesens, Colnago clx 3.0, Trek X-Caliber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brooks leather..really looks good, cleans easily, and last forever..or close anyway..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast