Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Went Komando (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/822486-went-komando.html)

Timtruro 06-02-12 01:11 PM

Went Komando

Went without undies the other day. I think I read here that it would be more comfortable and the cotton underwear was really starting to cause problems, real discomfort after 15-20 miles. I felt fine without it but wondering if an athletic supporter might not help with some of the minimal discomfort in front.

stapfam 06-02-12 01:30 PM

No- just tighter lycra.

Dudelsack 06-02-12 02:14 PM

Tmi

JanMM 06-02-12 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 14304424)
Tmi

Yep.

On a lighter note, perhaps trying just an athletic supporter would be a good idea.
Never mind.

John_V 06-02-12 02:26 PM

Cotton undies are a no-no. However, if you are uncomfortable riding commando, you can try a pair of Under Amour compression boxer tights. They are made of quick dry material and wick the perspiration really well. They do irritate some if you ride on aero bars a lot.

Dan Burkhart 06-02-12 03:25 PM

Nunquam ubi sub ubi

rubic 06-02-12 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 14304277)
No- just tighter lycra.

What he said. Lycra cycling shorts, or bibs, are your friend. Really.

berner 06-02-12 03:54 PM

I had a problem last year with relatively new bike shorts rubbing a vital region raw. These shorts were fine the first half dozen uses before they stopped being fine. They may have stretched. The answer is a good fit from good quality shorts. I'm now using either Castelli or Pearl Izumi.

Dudelsack 06-02-12 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 14304632)
Nunquam ubi sub ubi

I had to look that up. It's pretty funny.

Bikey Mikey 06-02-12 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 14304632)
Nunquam ubi sub ubi

Ditto.

mprelaw 06-02-12 05:25 PM

Nothing will chafe your groin area faster than a jock strap. I ran cross-country in college. The equipment manager would issue a jock with the team shorts. I always wore my own shorts with a sewn-in lycra supporter insert. Running 10 km once in a jock cured me of that forever.

Doohickie 06-02-12 05:54 PM

I ride with boxer-briefs. They are like briefs that go to mid-thigh. Seems to hold the little guy where he wants to be and is comfy.

moppeddler 06-02-12 06:44 PM

It never occurred to me to wear underwear under bike shorts. Are you supposed to? Doesn't really matter, I ain't gonna do it anyhow. Just sayin'.

JanMM 06-02-12 06:51 PM

"Bike shorts" covers a lot of territory - lots of types and styles. The "bike shorts" that I wear most of the time have no inner liner or padding. I don't go commando. Wicking polyester unmentionables are available in multiple styles, too.

Doohickie 06-02-12 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moppeddler (Post 14305272)
It never occurred to me to wear underwear under bike shorts. Are you supposed to? Doesn't really matter, I ain't gonna do it anyhow. Just sayin'.

I don't wear bike shorts. I wear street clothes when I ride. The boxer briefs are almost like wearing cycling pants without the chamois.

buelito 06-02-12 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berner (Post 14304716)
I had a problem last year with relatively new bike shorts rubbing a vital region raw. These shorts were fine the first half dozen uses before they stopped being fine. They may have stretched. The answer is a good fit from good quality shorts. I'm now using either Castelli or Pearl Izumi.

chamois creme... works wonders for keeping you 'chafe-free'

train safe-

Mort Canard 06-02-12 10:05 PM

Bicycle Naked!!!!

... and now back to our regularly scheduled programming. :p

Bikey Mikey 06-03-12 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mort Canard (Post 14306019)
Bicycle Naked!!!!

:eek: :twitchy: :love:
That would depend on the cyclist. Of course you could always go watch the Fremont Summer Solstice Parade.

cccorlew 06-03-12 12:03 PM

I am always surprised when I hear of people wearing anything under their cycling shorts. That sort of defeats their purpose.

Trsnrtr 06-03-12 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 14307677)
I am always surprised when I hear of people wearing anything under their cycling shorts. That sort of defeats their purpose.

Gotta go with this. Underwear serves no purpose at all in this case.

Blanchje 06-03-12 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buelito (Post 14305524)
chamois creme... works wonders for keeping you 'chafe-free'

train safe-

+1 Chamois cream is the ticket for longer rides. No underwear with bike shorts.

bobthib 06-03-12 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mort Canard (Post 14306019)
Bicycle Naked!!!!

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Bikenaked.jpg

NSFW. Left as link only in response to a report. (Moderator edit)

leob1 06-03-12 08:56 PM

You need to learn to reach it and rearrange things, with out being noticed.

pedalcr8z 06-03-12 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timtruro (Post 14304228)
Went without undies the other day. I think I read here that it would be more comfortable and the cotton underwear was really starting to cause problems, real discomfort after 15-20 miles. I felt fine without it but wondering if an athletic supporter might not help with some of the minimal discomfort in front.

Cycling shorts are meant to ride commando. There is an old saying, "you don't bike, you don't hike and you don't run in cotton anywhere on your body" as when it get's wet it gets heavy and causes blisters. You want to wear fabrics that wick moisture away from you as they basically dry as you ride.

Timtruro 06-04-12 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalcr8z (Post 14309885)
Cycling shorts are meant to ride commando. There is an old saying, "you don't bike, you don't hike and you don't run in cotton anywhere on your body" as when it get's wet it gets heavy and causes blisters. You want to wear fabrics that wick moisture away from you as they basically dry as you ride.

I knew all that about cotton from my running days of course, but somehow felt that there should be some support between me and the bike shorts. Could not believe the difference as far as comfort on the seat goes. Very pleased, just still believe that some support in the front is needed, so I will try the jock and see how that works out. If it doesn't, then the minor discomfort in the front will be more than worth it, given the vast improvement in comfort on the backside.