Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ugh. You can tell I don't order much online.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ugh. You can tell I don't order much online.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-12, 06:22 AM

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
I guess that's why this time, it was such a shock to have shipping actually be more than the cost of the items themselves.
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see what you ordered. Paying $3.01 shipping on a $3.00 item happens sometimes. Paying $3,000.01 shipping on a $3,000.00 item is unacceptable.

If I absolutely couldn't make the shipping work, I'd call, or visit, a local LBS, give them the list and see what the total price would be.
Old 06-04-12, 06:39 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
My only experience was several years ago here in CO. The clerks seemed as if they didn't care whether or not I was in the store, and I was bothering them by being there. However, that was about 10 years ago, and, hopefully, they have changed for the better by now.
It hasn't changed in Houston. Other than bicycle shorts there is nothing I would consider buying there. I get better merchandise at similar prices from my preferred LBS in Houston. I do find I can get many things on-line that aren't in stock in the LBS. For example there was no LBS in Houston that had the Ultegra Di2 upgrade kit. I didn't even see a bicycle in the store with Di2 last week.
Old 06-04-12, 06:57 AM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
My LBS shops in the area all get parts the same way I do, unless I brave City traffic and make the half-hour trip to St. Louis, MO. City traffic. Ugh. They order it online on the spot. I just save myself the time and trip, and do the ordering myself.
Old 06-04-12, 07:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No prime for me, and I don't know of anyone who has this mystical movie-watching Sams-azon subscription. The nearest Performance Bike shop is a 5 hour drive from here... I think I'll pass on that option...

I did end up ordering the bar, el-cheapo avenir tape, and el-cheapo mirror through Amazon, but none of it fell under the Free Supersaver Shipping umbrella. When I ordered my bike rack, panniers, and topeak frame-fit pump from them, the rack and panniers both had supersaver shipping, and the pump shipping was reasonable. I guess that's why this time, it was such a shock to have shipping actually be more than the cost of the items themselves.

It's just a bit of a shock to run into this in the checkout phase!
What I've found is that, when there are multiple sources for items on Amazon, the sum of the price plus the shipping from at least one non-supersaver seller is within pennies of the Amazon price without shipping. This isn't always true, but often enough. The advantage of buying from one of those sellers (even if you do it through Amazon), is that the shipping is usually faster.

For trekking bars, Nashbar's are as good as any. And they seem to be constantly running some kind of a promotion that includes either deep discounts or free shipping.

I guess the bottom line is to shop around, and wait for the good deals...
Old 06-04-12, 07:11 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by tony_merlino
For trekking bars, Nashbar's are as good as any. And they seem to be constantly running some kind of a promotion that includes either deep discounts or free shipping.
My objection with Nashbar has been shipping time. They had consistantly taken at least a week longer than anybody else that I've bought from. I think that, if you don't pay for expedated shipping, they hold your order to be sure it doesn't get to you too soon. I've gotten used to much better service so now I don't use them anymore.
Old 06-04-12, 07:15 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
My LBS shops in the area all get parts the same way I do, unless I brave City traffic and make the half-hour trip to St. Louis, MO. City traffic. Ugh. They order it online on the spot. I just save myself the time and trip, and do the ordering myself.
Yeah, I think that I must be a PITA customer because none of the local shops ever has the kinds of things that I want either. If I'm going to have to wait anyway, I cut out the middleman. Usually, for me at least, what I save by not paying sales tax pretty well covers the shipping cost.
Old 06-04-12, 07:36 AM

Nashbar was out of stock on the trekking bars anyway, when I made my order, so that was a moot point for me.

USPS Shipping is a mystery to me. I made an order for 3 things, and my mirror was being shipped almost the instant I hit the buy button. During my last order, my pump was shipped (in State) two days before my panniers and rack (shipped from Kentucky), but the panniers and rack arrived 4 days before the air-pump.

Last edited by David Bierbaum; 06-04-12 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-04-12, 08:19 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mapeiboy
I ordered all of my bike stuff from u.k base on-line store: PBK . Wiggle . No shipping charge .
+1. I was surprised when I order four tires and tubes from Wiggle at an outstanding price and shipping was exactly $0. Arrived quickly as well.
Old 06-04-12, 08:53 AM
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
My objection with Nashbar has been shipping time. They had consistantly taken at least a week longer than anybody else that I've bought from. I think that, if you don't pay for expedated shipping, they hold your order to be sure it doesn't get to you too soon. I've gotten used to much better service so now I don't use them anymore.
+1.

In the past, I got orders from Nashbar in a few days with regular shipping. Now it is more like two weeks. I still order stuff from them, but only as a last resort.
Old 06-04-12, 09:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I think the last thing I ordered from them was the trekking bars, and that was last fall. They were here within a week...
Old 06-04-12, 09:28 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I've shopped in Performance Bike stores a couple of times. No high pressure, friendly service. Not my favorite bike store but they were okay.
Originally Posted by k7baixo
Same here. No issues, no hard sell, nada. I have a set of wheels on-order so I reserve the right to change my mind.
Originally Posted by jmccain
A simple visit to the store tells me otherwise.
In my experience, Performance has been been fine. They seem to carry only what they think they can move, plus some high end "museum pieces" that are more for display to give them cred. Since most of my bikes are out of date though, they usually don't have too much that I want (eg., limited selection of 27" tires). My impression of the help is that they are friendly and try to help, but I've never gotten a hard-sell vibe from them. I generally prefer to support locally owned businesses though, so on that basis Performance isn't my first choice.

Originally Posted by BeastRider
As I said. That's by doing a Google search and finding what people have posted as reviews. A LOT of people do this when shopping to check out stores. If the reviews aren't good then they could reconsider stopping at a particular store. I am quite sure that there are exceptions as each store in various areas might be different.
On ebay, feedback is requested for every transaction and reminders ensure that there are a lot of feedbacks submitted whether the transaction was good or bad. Sellers strive for 99.x% positive feedback and if it is less than that, I may avoid a seller. But if you're looking at feedback on something other than ebay, bear in mind that for stores like Performance there are probably tens or hundreds of thousands of transactions, and most people don't submit feedback. Most of the time only the complainers take the time to submit feedback, so you see maybe 20 negative reviews but not seeing the feedback of thousands of satisfied customers. Just food for thought.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 06-04-12, 09:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take online reviews, especially negative ones with a grain of salt. My wife owns a service oriented business and has several bad reviews online that are complete fabrications by customers who were not rational and one recent one that is clearly an attack by a competitor. My vet has a scathing review by a nutjob with 5 dogs who wanted to be able to buy prescription medicines without bringing the animal(s) in. Of course she didn't mention that in her review. She only said that the doctor is a souless, greedy quack who orders unnecessary tests to pad his bill.

My last transaction at the Performance in Santa Monica, CA, was better than I've had in most LBS's. No pressure, real information without condescension, real choice and an unconditional, if it doesn't suit you for whatever reason bring it back policy.

Mugre
Old 06-04-12, 10:06 AM

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BeastRider
Performance Bike? 99% of the reviews I have read for them are terrible. Mediocre service, at BEST, along with a hard-sell approach in a "grocery store" environment. Not my kind of place. A simple Google search can tell you that.....
If all you are doing is ordering online and picking it up in their store, why do you care about whether or not they they have a hard sell approach or a "grocery store" environment?

Mike
Old 06-04-12, 09:29 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
So why buy on-line?
Old 06-04-12, 10:20 PM

In my case, if I want to buy at all, most of the stuff I want has to be ordered by the bike shop anyway, so I'm cutting out the middleman and saving a trip by ordering online myself. None of the local bike shops are really all that local to where I live, and I'd rather not waste gas going to one, only to find out they'll have to order it. The selection is just better.